Video Problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Yummy, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    I have a customer who is having constant video problems. She is having
    to swap out monitors at least once a week. The monitors aren't dying,
    its just that she loses her video signal constantly. I have tried
    different video cards,(pci and agp), and have tried the pci cards in
    different slots. Her display will work fine for a few days, then when
    she turns on the PC the next day, no video. The PC will boot normally,
    no post codes are given at boot.

    She has a clone AT system, Epox Super 7 board with an AMD K6-500 proc.

    Everything else installed in the PCI slots works fine (NIC, USB, SND),
    so I don't think its an issue with the slots. I thought it could be a
    grounding issue, but I believe the system would constantly reboot
    itself it that was the case.

    Anyone have any ideas? Ghost, AG, or Tom Mc?

    Thanks in adv.

    Dave

    Yummy, Oct 15, 2003

  2. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:19:26 GMT, Yummy
    <> wrote:

    >I have a customer who is having constant video problems. She is having
    >to swap out monitors at least once a week. The monitors aren't dying,
    >its just that she loses her video signal constantly. I have tried
    >different video cards,(pci and agp), and have tried the pci cards in
    >different slots. Her display will work fine for a few days, then when
    >she turns on the PC the next day, no video. The PC will boot normally,
    >no post codes are given at boot.
    >
    >She has a clone AT system, Epox Super 7 board with an AMD K6-500 proc.
    >
    >Everything else installed in the PCI slots works fine (NIC, USB, SND),
    >so I don't think its an issue with the slots. I thought it could be a
    >grounding issue, but I believe the system would constantly reboot
    >itself it that was the case.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas? Ghost, AG, or Tom Mc?

    I can remember a monitor repair problem that came my way once. The
    system would kill the monitor signal completely just before the splash
    screen came up. I don't remember the exact solution, but it was a
    Windows settings problem. There was no problem with POST or anything,
    though.

    Is it possible that the several monitors that she tried all used the
    same detachable cable? Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Yummy

    Raymond Guest

    I have a customer who is having constant video problems. She is having
    to swap out monitors at least once a week. The monitors aren't dying,
    its just that she loses her video signal constantly. I have tried
    different video cards,(pci and agp), and have tried the pci cards in
    different slots. Her display will work fine for a few days, then when
    she turns on the PC the next day, no video. The PC will boot normally,
    no post codes are given at boot.

    When she turns it on with no video, did it have a long beep and nothing on
    the monitor except a black screen? Trying hitting the reset button several
    times unitl the system boot up and video displayed. I have the same problem
    could not find out what it was except I am very sure that it was the video
    card. A little anoise to hit that reset button several times until window
    displayed, but unless I can afford another video card, that is my solution.

    Raymond, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    None of the monitors have detachable cables. I have also tried
    different power cables. Windows settings are normal, I also have "turn
    monitor off" set at "never" in pm settings.

    Yummy, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Yummy

    BobZilla Guest

    Sorry this is of no help to your problem but it reminded me of an old issue
    I had. Remember the Power mac's? I was working in a Pc rental place that had
    about 10 of them and eventually they got to the point that they would not
    display video. It took alot of fooling around to figure out that if the
    battery for the cmos chip was dead, the video was too. I know it sound
    strange but it's true. I had no experience with MACs and still don't but I
    thought this was the oddest querk I have ever seen on a computer. A regular
    PC doesn't care about the cmos battery, yea you would have to set everything
    in bios every time but it will still function, the macs just wont work, they
    boot but no video. I wonder if they still have this problem? These were
    really old systems before apple got all the colorful stuff. They also had an
    adapter on the video that had jumpers you needed to set depending on what
    size monitor and refresh you were using, apple is just strange to
    me. ---------BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 16, 2003
  6. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 03:22:30 GMT, Yummy
    <> wrote:

    >None of the monitors have detachable cables. I have also tried
    >different power cables. Windows settings are normal, I also have "turn
    >monitor off" set at "never" in pm settings.

    I wonder if a reinstall (simply over the current one) of Windows will
    have an effect. Also...can you put a different, blank or has unneeded
    data, hard drive in (to protect her current settings), then try a
    fresh install, just to see what happens? The old A/B comparison trick.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 17, 2003