Video Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I am having a problem that I cannot seem to adquately diagnose. Background
    is as follows:

    First Issue: I am using an Nvidia FX5200 AGP 8X 256mb DDR video card on
    an athlon 3000+ with 512Mb PC2700 memory. I have lost my driver cd for my
    Nvidia card and so I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the driver
    from their site. After I downloaded the driver my system began to
    spontaneously reboot.

    Second Issue: I tried to play the pc game Civilization 3. The game began
    to boot, and then my system locked up and restarted automatically, and
    afterward I received the message--System restarted because of Hardware
    failure when Video card failed to draw the screen. This it did 3
    times--every time I tried to use the game.

    After a few tries--and several automatic reboots by the computer--I
    uninstalled the Nvidia driver for the card. Afterward the computer worked
    fine--except that I still cannot play Civ 3.

    Now the computer only recognizes the card as a generic video graphics
    adapter.

    System worked fine before I installed the driver.
    I do not want to accept that the card is going bad. The card is
    approximately 18 months old--as I installed it when I built the PC.

    Any ideas appreciated.
    me, Apr 14, 2006

  2. me wrote:
    > I am having a problem that I cannot seem to adquately diagnose. Background is as follows:

    Ok

    > First Issue: I am using an Nvidia FX5200 AGP 8X 256mb DDR video card on
    > an athlon 3000+ with 512Mb PC2700 memory. I have lost my driver cd for my
    > Nvidia card and so I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the driver
    > from their site. After I downloaded the driver my system began to
    > spontaneously reboot.

    Ok

    > Second Issue: I tried to play the pc game Civilization 3. The game began
    > to boot, and then my system locked up and restarted automatically, and
    > afterward I received the message--System restarted because of Hardware
    > failure when Video card failed to draw the screen. This it did 3
    > times--every time I tried to use the game.

    Ok

    > After a few tries--and several automatic reboots by the computer--I
    > uninstalled the Nvidia driver for the card. Afterward the computer worked
    > fine--except that I still cannot play Civ 3.

    Ok

    > Now the computer only recognizes the card as a generic video graphics adapter.
    >
    > System worked fine before I installed the driver. I do not want to accept that the card is going bad. The card is
    > approximately 18 months old--as I installed it when I built the PC.
    >
    > Any ideas appreciated.

    It sounds like the driver on the website was actually an update to the
    driver you had on your system before the problem started. By installing
    the one from the website, you wiped out the old one. As a result of
    doing this, when you un-installed it, you essentially, un-installed both
    versions of the driver. This is why, your PC thinks of the video card
    as a genec video card.

    Have you tried to play Civilization 3 on your PC before this?

    Christopher
    Christopher Range, Apr 15, 2006

  3. me

    me Guest

    To clarify--I had the original GForce Driver on my other hard drive that
    locked me out after one failed login attempt. Afterward I had to reinstall
    everything, and by that time the Gforce Driver cd had disappeared. So I was
    unable to install it on my new hard drive.
    I found and installed the driver from the Nvidia homepage--after installing
    it and trying to play Civ3 the computer rebooted and the error
    message--hardware failure---video adapter unable to draw screen appeared.
    After that one failure the computer began to spontaneously reboot.
    uninstalled the driver through device manager. Now there are no more
    spontaneous reboots, and no more error messages.
    Yes, I have tried to play Civ3 without the driver installed--game boots in
    and screen goes blank and does not come back until I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and
    exit the application.
    me, Apr 16, 2006
  4. me wrote:
    > To clarify--I had the original GForce Driver on my other hard drive that
    > locked me out after one failed login attempt. Afterward I had to reinstall
    > everything, and by that time the Gforce Driver cd had disappeared. So I was
    > unable to install it on my new hard drive.
    > I found and installed the driver from the Nvidia homepage--after installing
    > it and trying to play Civ3 the computer rebooted and the error
    > message--hardware failure---video adapter unable to draw screen appeared.
    > After that one failure the computer began to spontaneously reboot.
    > uninstalled the driver through device manager. Now there are no more
    > spontaneous reboots, and no more error messages.
    > Yes, I have tried to play Civ3 without the driver installed--game boots in
    > and screen goes blank and does not come back until I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and
    > exit the application.

    Do you have System Restore activated on the computer, along with a
    'Restore Point'?

    Christopher
    Christopher Range, Apr 16, 2006
  5. me

    me Guest

    I turned off system restore as a security measure to prevent a residual
    virus infection in the event something slips past the defenses I have
    installed.
    me, Apr 16, 2006
  6. me wrote:
    > I turned off system restore as a security measure to prevent a residual
    > virus infection in the event something slips past the defenses I have
    > installed.

    Ok, What form(s) of protection do you have?

    Christopher
    Christopher Range, Apr 16, 2006
  7. me

    Crimson* Guest

    Make sure you have the proper chipset drivers installed for your motherboard
    (Intel, VIA, SiS, etc.). After that, you may try the latest Detonator
    driver set from nVidia. If the problem still occurs, there are three things
    you can do as far as the video driver goes:
    1. Download an older Detonator set from nVidia
    2. Go to the manufacturer's web site of your video card and try their
    driver.
    3. Run Windows Update and install the Microsoft Certified nVidia driver.

    Let us know how it goes.
    Crimson*, Apr 16, 2006
  8. me

    me Guest

    the computer does have the proper chipset drivers.
    I tried again late last night to install the newest Nvidia driver that was
    supposedly being tested for WHQL certification and was supposed to have
    worked for 2k/Xp, and again, it recognized the card properly, but the system
    became immediately unstable when I tried to play the game. Again, I
    uninstalled the driver, and again the PC saw the Gforce Fx5200 as a generic
    display adapter.

    Strange thing is--the game now works for some reason, and the only thing I
    can deduce is that after the system became unstable again, I took the CD,
    and washed it in hot water and dried it off and then placed it back in the
    tray--and the game booted fine, and the system no longer was unstable.

    At least it works now. Sad though my nice video card is only recognized as
    generic....

    me, Apr 17, 2006
  9. me

    Butterfield Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:08:16 -0400, "me" <> wrote:

    >First Issue: I am using an Nvidia FX5200 AGP 8X 256mb DDR video card on
    >an athlon 3000+ with 512Mb PC2700 memory. I have lost my driver cd for my
    >Nvidia card and so I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the driver
    >from their site. After I downloaded the driver my system began to
    >spontaneously reboot.

    try here: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

    -- Butterfield
    Butterfield, Apr 17, 2006