Video / Photo editing advice ..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul - xxx, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Just setup my 17 year old niece a new desktop computer, lovely bit of kit,
    fairly cutting edge running XP home and which supports Firewire, digital
    video, DVD production and various other potentially creative bits ;) She
    wishes to 'get into' Photo editing and video production, professionally
    eventually, but has no clue about either disciplines, computers and may well
    simply change her mind in a few weeks. Her computer is well up to the task,
    1 gig memory, 128 Meg video memory, 120 gig hd, in three partitions. She
    has a decent Canon digital video camera and a Jenoptic stills digital
    camera.

    So the question is ...

    Can anyone recommend software that will edit digital still photo's easily,
    such as, for instance, take a mans body and put a womans face on it. That
    may also do this over a few seconds, maybe hundreds of frames, of video
    automatically. That will take a few hours worth of raw video and edit it
    down to a respectable size and with decent results suitable for playback on
    'normal' DVD players / TV's.

    I have some experience of PSP, Adobe Photoshop etc but no experience of
    'lite' versions of software that for instance may automate layers or masks,
    which I couldn't get her to understand at all so far, which should enable
    her to do this type of editing. She thinks it's dead easy, but I don't know
    how to show her how to do it in a simple, words of one syllable, manner

    I understand that there are possibly many applications out there that will
    do this, indeed I have a few, but all seem aimed at professional production
    and not for a complete novice, such as my niece.

    Comments and recommendations appreciated. ;)

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:48:24 -0000, in
    <bvu389$10kqs3$-berlin.de>
    Paul - xxx scrawled:

    >Just setup my 17 year old niece a new desktop computer, lovely bit of kit,
    >fairly cutting edge running XP home and which supports Firewire, digital
    >video, DVD production and various other potentially creative bits ;) She
    >wishes to 'get into' Photo editing and video production, professionally
    >eventually, but has no clue about either disciplines, computers and may well
    >simply change her mind in a few weeks. Her computer is well up to the task,
    >1 gig memory, 128 Meg video memory, 120 gig hd, in three partitions. She
    >has a decent Canon digital video camera and a Jenoptic stills digital
    >camera.
    >
    >So the question is ...
    >
    >Can anyone recommend software that will edit digital still photo's easily,
    >such as, for instance, take a mans body and put a womans face on it. That
    >may also do this over a few seconds, maybe hundreds of frames, of video
    >automatically. That will take a few hours worth of raw video and edit it
    >down to a respectable size and with decent results suitable for playback on
    >'normal' DVD players / TV's.
    >
    >I have some experience of PSP, Adobe Photoshop etc but no experience of
    >'lite' versions of software that for instance may automate layers or masks,
    >which I couldn't get her to understand at all so far, which should enable
    >her to do this type of editing. She thinks it's dead easy, but I don't know
    >how to show her how to do it in a simple, words of one syllable, manner
    >
    >I understand that there are possibly many applications out there that will
    >do this, indeed I have a few, but all seem aimed at professional production
    >and not for a complete novice, such as my niece.
    >
    >Comments and recommendations appreciated. ;)

    What you are asking (so it seems) is a job for professional software,
    not IrfanView type software. The best free "dummy" image editor
    that I've seen, is FotoFiltre, but, again, it's not going to do what you
    want.
    http://www.photofiltre.com/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    °Mike° posted ...

    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:48:24 -0000, in
    > <bvu389$10kqs3$-berlin.de>
    > Paul - xxx scrawled:

    >> Comments and recommendations appreciated. ;)

    > What you are asking (so it seems) is a job for professional software,
    > not IrfanView type software. The best free "dummy" image editor
    > that I've seen, is FotoFiltre, but, again, it's not going to do what
    > you want.
    > http://www.photofiltre.com/

    Cheers, Mike, much appreciated ... you don't know how good it is that
    someone's actually posted what I've been trying to tell her. She's 17 and
    thinks that putting heads from one person onto another "like they do TV"
    should be dead easy to do .. no matter what I try to show her and tell her.

    She's re-appraising her options and requirements now .. and budgeting for
    'decent' software .. though I think she'll maybe change her mind when she
    sees the effort, and money, required to produce good, or even reasonable
    quality, video's.

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:31:36 -0000, in
    <bvvu1c$11aq9h$-berlin.de>
    Paul - xxx scrawled:

    >°Mike° posted ...
    >
    >> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:48:24 -0000, in
    >> <bvu389$10kqs3$-berlin.de>
    >> Paul - xxx scrawled:

    >>> Comments and recommendations appreciated. ;)

    >> What you are asking (so it seems) is a job for professional software,
    >> not IrfanView type software. The best free "dummy" image editor
    >> that I've seen, is FotoFiltre, but, again, it's not going to do what
    >> you want.
    >> http://www.photofiltre.com/

    >Cheers, Mike, much appreciated ... you don't know how good it is that
    >someone's actually posted what I've been trying to tell her. She's 17 and
    >thinks that putting heads from one person onto another "like they do TV"

    Why am I thinking of the Trekkie phrase " trying to compensate"? ;)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 6, 2004