    The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.

    Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
    secondary display?
    Rob J, May 3, 2005

  2. Rob J

    J. Clarke Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
    > capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
    > display.
    >
    > The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
    >
    > Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
    > secondary display?

    (a) just change the order of the displays

    (b) go into the overlay settings and set "theater mode" or "same on both".

    (c) use Media Center Edition 2005.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, May 3, 2005

  3. Rob J

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
    > capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
    > display.
    >
    > The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
    >
    > Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
    > secondary display?

    ATI's cards are rubbish for overlay - I can only have one active at a time in
    any resolution, when I had 2 cards in the machine, even trying to overlay onto
    both cards at once wasnt happening, there were streaks all over the images.
    Changing to nvidia cards and it all cleared up, can overlay twice on one card,
    or 1 onto each of the 2 cards.
    Richard, May 4, 2005
  4. On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:14:18 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >> It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
    >> capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
    >> display.
    >>
    >> The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
    >>
    >> Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
    >> secondary display?

    >ATI's cards are rubbish for overlay - I can only have one active at a time in
    >any resolution, when I had 2 cards in the machine, even trying to overlay onto
    >both cards at once wasnt happening, there were streaks all over the images.
    >Changing to nvidia cards and it all cleared up, can overlay twice on one card,
    >or 1 onto each of the 2 cards.

    A NVidia card I looked at the other day wouldn't activate the
    secondary display adapter if it coudln't detect anything
    At least the Radeon 9600 would let me enable the secondary even if
    there was nothing connected to it at startup
    FreedomChooser, May 4, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Kaptian AV Guest

    Kaptian AV, May 14, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Timbertea Guest

    Kaptian AV wrote:
    > This link is How to setup dual display useing on one out put
    > goto videohelp.com- they have a how to guide
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1674408,00.asp
    >
    > If your doing video editing like i was,I used a ati 9600, tv picture
    > wastnt to good , you need the correct tv settings
    >
    > Nvida have a card called the Quadro it think. (expensive)
    > http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html

    Matrox makes very nice cards for this purpose, outstanding 2D, so so 3D.
    They have an entire line of cards geared specifically for video editing
    that are a joy to work with. If you are building a system to do one
    task, and that task is video editing, that is probably where you want to
    look at to find the best display solution. They answer their phones
    with a real live person too, a nice touch in the age of
    digital-voice-jail-press-1-if...

    Not worth it if all you are doing is capturing TV and don't want to edit
    the content very much, but for the production editing system they have
    solutions that are as good as it gets.

    -Timbertea
    Timbertea, May 15, 2005