video mode refresh (Win XP)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jules, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    I'm just messing around on the gf's XP machine at the moment to try and
    improve screen resolution - the system's currently set at 1024x768,
    85Hz refresh, but I was hoping it'd handl 1152x864 at something
    non-flickery...

    The graphics adapter is a Radeon 9000 AGP (400MHz, 64MB), so that
    should easily handle something better.

    However, the monitor's a 17" AOC FT720, which according to Google has the
    following specs:

    110MHz bandwidth
    30-72KHz horizontal
    50-160Hz vertical

    .... can someone who remembers how to calculate mode timings (I forgot
    about 5 years ago after I last needed to do this on a Linux box :) tell
    me if I can expect > 60Hz refresh at 1152x864 resolution out of that setup?

    I'm just surprised that a 17" screen would ever be designed to only do
    something as low as 1024x768 at a refresh that isn't hard on the eyes -
    I'd expect it to be better than that. However if I set Windows to
    1152x864@75Hz - which XP claims the plug and play monitor supports - then
    all I get is screen flicker and the monitor's OSD reporting 60Hz refresh.
    Somebody is lying, and I'm pointing the finger at Windows :)

    "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is set in Windows, so it
    shouldn't be allowing me to set anything that it doesn't think the monitor
    can handle. Yet despite the 75Hz refresh rate set, that's not apparently
    what it's actually doing.

    Unfortunately Windows 'advanced' properties window for the display seems a
    bit, umm, non-advanced: it just tells me I have a 'plug and play monitor'
    rather than telling me what it thinks I have and what it thinks its
    capabilities are; is there anywhere in XP that this inforation gets logged?

    I suspect the outcome of this is going to be that the AOC display is total
    poop - but I'm still curious as to why XP thinks it can handle 75Hz
    refresh but then the monitor ends up running at 60Hz.

    Thanks!

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Jules

    Jules Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:07:17 +0000, Jules wrote:
    > Unfortunately Windows 'advanced' properties window for the display seems a
    > bit, umm, non-advanced: it just tells me I have a 'plug and play monitor'

    Further to that, I found a monitor .inf file specific to this AOC display
    and installed that. Makes absolutely no difference - same 'problem'. Just
    thought I'd mention it though, before I got several replies telling me
    that would be the solution :)

    (Makes sense I suppose - if the monitor adheres to the standards for
    display query then the MS driver *should* be able to figure out the specs
    just fine, without a manufacturer-specific .inf file)

    cheers

    J.

    Jules, Sep 28, 2006