    with a power surge, but it's a computer and you never know.

    Thanks for your help and suggestions,
    Al
    Al, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Al

    Harrison Guest

    Had it not been for you mentioning the wind, I never would have
    thought of this, but I think I know what happened.

    About a year ago, a friend of mine was working on his computer. The
    wind outside was howling. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind rushed past
    his house and hi screen went nuts. After some investigation, we
    determined that the wind was causing a geomagnetic pressure gradient
    around the electrical fields which surround all electric and
    electronic devices. The geomagnetic gradient was strong enough to
    alter the electrons and photons within the monitor and to cause what
    we thought at the time would be lasting damage. Luckily, the front
    passed and the winds kicked in from the opposite direction. This
    reversed the effects of the geomagnetic fields and all was right
    again.

    This effect is very similar to the effect of strong CME's - Coronal
    Mass Ejections - on the communications of the earth as solar winds
    race past the planet.

    Unless you can catch the wind blowing the other way, I'm afraid his
    display may be permanently damaged or he will have to call a more
    competent technician.

    Harrison, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Al

    Rob Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > Had it not been for you mentioning the wind, I never would have
    > thought of this, but I think I know what happened.
    >
    > About a year ago, a friend of mine was working on his computer. The
    > wind outside was howling. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind rushed past
    > his house and hi screen went nuts. After some investigation, we
    > determined that the wind was causing a geomagnetic pressure gradient
    > around the electrical fields which surround all electric and
    > electronic devices. The geomagnetic gradient was strong enough to
    > alter the electrons and photons within the monitor and to cause what
    > we thought at the time would be lasting damage. Luckily, the front
    > passed and the winds kicked in from the opposite direction. This
    > reversed the effects of the geomagnetic fields and all was right
    > again.
    >
    > This effect is very similar to the effect of strong CME's - Coronal
    > Mass Ejections - on the communications of the earth as solar winds
    > race past the planet.
    >
    > Unless you can catch the wind blowing the other way, I'm afraid his
    > display may be permanently damaged or he will have to call a more
    > competent technician.

    ROTFL

    Rob, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Al

    Shel-hed Guest

    Boot to safe mode and adjust the display properties to "optimum", or failing that,
    'adapter default".
    Rt click on desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, adapter tab.

    If no luck, use the scanreg restore-
    http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/147081.html

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:39:25 -0800, "Al" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Al

    Al Guest

    Oh boy, isn't the world full of out work comics. But I admit that was
    clever.

    I failed to say that you can see some of the boot sequence,then a box that
    acts like the screen saver moving all over the screen, in that box it says "
    Video Mode Not Supported" So that tells me the video card is still good. So
    something else has happened.

    Al, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Al

    M Mullen Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:20:59 -0800, "Al" <> wrote:

    |> a box that
    |> acts like the screen saver moving all over the screen, in that box it says "
    |> Video Mode Not Supported" So that tells me the video card is still good. So
    |> something else has happened.

    It's attempting a video mode not supported :) like: 1024 X 768
    Safe mode in, go to the display properties and change it to something it can
    handle like 640 X 480.
    ---
    .-.
    {\('v')/}
    ^^" "^^
    Ignorance is lack of knowledge, stupidity is ignorance with pride.
    M Mullen, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Al

    Al Guest

    Thanks to all who replied, the problem has been solved.

    Al

    Al, Nov 15, 2003