    re-authoring to synch the sound and video?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 2, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Keith Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > The DVD is "The Tommyknockers" 15995E.
    >
    > Sound and picture are slightly out of synch with sounds leading
    > pix by maybe a tenth of a second. Looks like of like a foreign
    > language movie with English dubbed in.
    >
    > Question: Is this just a bad production? Or could it be
    > something with the way my player is config'd?
    >
    > If the first, is there anything I could do in the way of
    > re-authoring to synch the sound and video?

    I have an Apex player that gets out of sync occasionally. I just unplug
    it for a minute or two, and plug it back in. Go figure...

    Strangely, I have the same problem with Windows Media Player. I just
    stop and restart it.

    Damned codecs (?)...
    Keith, Dec 5, 2007

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    redflag Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > The DVD is "The Tommyknockers" 15995E.
    >
    > Sound and picture are slightly out of synch with sounds leading
    > pix by maybe a tenth of a second. Looks like of like a foreign
    > language movie with English dubbed in.
    >
    > Question: Is this just a bad production? Or could it be
    > something with the way my player is config'd?
    >
    > If the first, is there anything I could do in the way of
    > re-authoring to synch the sound and video?

    It may be a badly reauthored reproduction. If the disc
    plays without problems on other DVD players then it's
    your player. Or just a bad capture with a bunch of
    dropped video frames. Maybe some punkinhead sat a
    movie theatre with his video camera and took it all
    in. But no, "The Tommyknockers" is an old movie.

    If, the other hand, what you describe is happening on
    a computer, I would suggest that the PC is either short
    on memory or weak on CPU power, affecting the synchronicity
    of the video (the video chip is slower or faster than the
    audio chip, as the case may be). Or the asynchronious
    audio/video may be caused by something as ridiculously
    simple as a clutterred and fragmented hard drive.

    Hell, we'll never know the answer to your technical
    problem considering how little precise information
    you gave here beyond the movie title!

    You'll notice your questions in this forum wmight
    be answered with far more knowledge, authority
    and reliability if you provide a wee bit more
    information about the system you're using and
    other relevant technical data.
    redflag, Dec 5, 2007
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    PapaBear Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >> The DVD is "The Tommyknockers" 15995E.
    >>
    >> Sound and picture are slightly out of synch with sounds leading
    >> pix by maybe a tenth of a second. Looks like of like a foreign
    >> language movie with English dubbed in.
    >>
    >> Question: Is this just a bad production? Or could it be
    >> something with the way my player is config'd?
    >>
    >> If the first, is there anything I could do in the way of
    >> re-authoring to synch the sound and video?

    > I have an Apex player that gets out of sync occasionally. I just unplug
    > it for a minute or two, and plug it back in. Go figure...
    >
    > Strangely, I have the same problem with Windows Media Player. I just stop
    > and restart it.
    >
    > Damned codecs (?)...

    Don't stack DVD players together or with other electronic units such as
    satellite receivers and VCRs. They can interfere with each other and strange
    things happen. At least if you stack them, unplug the ones you're not using.
    PapaBear, Dec 5, 2007
  5. Per redflag:
    >dropped video frames. Maybe some punkinhead sat a
    >movie theatre with his video camera and took it all
    >in. But no, "The Tommyknockers" is an old movie.

    This one isn't even a proper movie. More of a
    stitching-together of a TV miniseries. Somebody else might like
    it, but it wasn't enough to my taste tb a "keeper", so I gave it
    away to somebody.

    >You'll notice your questions in this forum wmight
    >be answered with far more knowledge, authority
    >and reliability if you provide a wee bit more
    >information about the system you're using and
    >other relevant technical data.

    It wasn't a big deal. More a matter of curiosity as to whether I
    could rip it and somehow get things back in synch. I'll ask the
    person I gave it to if they have the same problem.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 6, 2007