    Could this be the reason?
    It plays fine through WMP before I do anything to it.

    TIA

    L.Hatherall, Dec 29, 2003

  2. L.Hatherall

    ICee Guest

    L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    > I've downloaded an xvid movie off the net but can't get it to play
    > without juddering every 5 or so seconds.
    > I've tried encoding it to Mpeg with TMPGenc, Mainconcept,Ulead dvd
    > movie and Canopus but they all seem to give the same results.
    > The movie was originally in NTSC format and I'm re-encoding it to Pal.
    > Could this be the reason?
    > It plays fine through WMP before I do anything to it.
    >
    > TIA

    Do you mean jitter?

    ICee, Dec 29, 2003

  3. L.Hatherall

    L.Hatherall Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    > > I've downloaded an xvid movie off the net but can't get it to play
    > > without juddering every 5 or so seconds.
    > > I've tried encoding it to Mpeg with TMPGenc, Mainconcept,Ulead dvd
    > > movie and Canopus but they all seem to give the same results.
    > > The movie was originally in NTSC format and I'm re-encoding it to Pal.
    > > Could this be the reason?
    > > It plays fine through WMP before I do anything to it.
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Do you mean jitter?

    Yes...sorry

    L.Hatherall, Dec 29, 2003
  4. L.Hatherall

    ICee Guest

    L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    >>> I've downloaded an xvid movie off the net but can't get it to play
    >>> without juddering every 5 or so seconds.
    >>> I've tried encoding it to Mpeg with TMPGenc, Mainconcept,Ulead dvd
    >>> movie and Canopus but they all seem to give the same results.
    >>> The movie was originally in NTSC format and I'm re-encoding it to
    >>> Pal. Could this be the reason?
    >>> It plays fine through WMP before I do anything to it.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Do you mean jitter?

    > Yes...sorry

    Just wanted to be sure. I thought it may be some new term I haven't
    heard of :)

    I would guess it has to do with going from NTSC to PAL. NTSC is based
    on 60 Hz while PAL is based on 50 Hz (interlaced).

    ICee, Dec 29, 2003
  5. L.Hatherall

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ICee said:

    > L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    >> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you mean jitter?

    >> Yes...sorry

    > Just wanted to be sure. I thought it may be some new term I haven't
    > heard of :)
    >
    > I would guess it has to do with going from NTSC to PAL. NTSC is based
    > on 60 Hz while PAL is based on 50 Hz (interlaced).

    OED
    Jitter, extreme nervousness.
    Judder, vibrate noisily or violently [imit.: cf. SHUDDER]

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  6. L.Hatherall

    ICee Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > ICee said:
    >
    >> L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes...sorry

    >> Just wanted to be sure. I thought it may be some new term I haven't
    >> heard of :)
    >>
    >> I would guess it has to do with going from NTSC to PAL. NTSC is
    >> based on 60 Hz while PAL is based on 50 Hz (interlaced).

    > OED
    > Jitter, extreme nervousness.
    > Judder, vibrate noisily or violently [imit.: cf. SHUDDER]

    Judder: 1. (British) shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively. I should
    have known :) Thanks for the info. He was correct all along.

    ICee, Dec 29, 2003
  7. L.Hatherall

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ICee said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> ICee said:

    >>> Just wanted to be sure. I thought it may be some new term I haven't
    >>> heard of :)
    >>>
    >>> I would guess it has to do with going from NTSC to PAL. NTSC is
    >>> based on 60 Hz while PAL is based on 50 Hz (interlaced).

    >> OED
    >> Jitter, extreme nervousness.
    >> Judder, vibrate noisily or violently [imit.: cf. SHUDDER]

    > Judder: 1. (British) shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively. I should
    > have known :) Thanks for the info. He was correct all along.

    ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  8. L.Hatherall

    L.Hatherall Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    > > ICee said:

    > >> Just wanted to be sure. I thought it may be some new term I haven't
    > >> heard of :)
    > >>
    > >> I would guess it has to do with going from NTSC to PAL. NTSC is
    > >> based on 60 Hz while PAL is based on 50 Hz (interlaced).

    > > OED
    > > Jitter, extreme nervousness.
    > > Judder, vibrate noisily or violently [imit.: cf. SHUDDER]

    > Judder: 1. (British) shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively. I should
    > have known :) Thanks for the info. He was correct all along.

    Anyway...back to the point :) ...is there any way around this problem?

    L.Hatherall, Dec 29, 2003
  9. L.Hatherall

    ICee Guest

    L.Hatherall" <l.hatherall@"no spam wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> OED
    >>> Jitter, extreme nervousness.
    >>> Judder, vibrate noisily or violently [imit.: cf. SHUDDER]

    >> Judder: 1. (British) shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively. I
    >> should have known :) Thanks for the info. He was correct all
    >> along.
    >>

    > Anyway...back to the point :) ...is there any way around this
    > problem?

    I don't know. This page has an explanation of the differences betwwen
    NTSC and PAL regarding the size and scan rate of the picture.
    http://www.video2cd.co.uk/ntsc2pal1.html

    Here's a program that is supposed to be able to convert NTSC to PAL, and
    it has a trial version so you can at least see if the problem is the
    program you are using:
    http://www.newfreeware.com/graphics/2198/

    ICee, Dec 29, 2003