(video) Guy shows off FLIR infrared thermal video camera that he bought off Ebay.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Joe

    Jay Hamsen Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:35 -0800, Joe <> wrote:

    >See it via http://Muvy.org

    Well, that's just silly. He could have bought an inexpensive Sony F707, F717,
    F828, or H9 and obtained the same thing, only with high-resolution still frame
    IR photography too.

    Jay Hamsen, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Joe

    Deep Reset Guest

    "Jay Hamsen" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:35 -0800, Joe <> wrote:
    >
    >>See it via http://Muvy.org

    > Well, that's just silly. He could have bought an inexpensive Sony F707,
    > F717,
    > F828, or H9 and obtained the same thing, only with high-resolution still
    > frame
    > IR photography too.

    I somehow doubt it - those expensive germanium optics are there for a
    reason.

    Deep Reset, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Joe

    George Kerby Guest

    Re: (video) Guy shows off FLIR infrared thermal video camera thathe bought off Ebay.

    On 11/7/07 8:05 PM, in article
    , "Joe"
    <> wrote:

    > See it via http://Muvy.org

    He should have left the bag over his head, LOL!

    George Kerby, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Joe

    Martin Brown Guest

    On Nov 8, 8:44 am, Jay Hamsen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:35 -0800, Joe <> wrote:
    > >See it viahttp://Muvy.org

    > Well, that's just silly. He could have bought an inexpensive Sony F707, F717,
    > F828, or H9 and obtained the same thing, only with high-resolution still frame
    > IR photography too.

    That is near IR. OK for white grass, TV remotes and imaging not quite
    red hot cooker hobs as bright, but useless for seeing human body
    temperature stand out against a similar coloured but cold wall.

    Thermal imaging to see small temperature differences at body heat to
    ambient temperature requires expensive germanium optics for longwave
    thermal IR and cunning sensor hardware. The kit he had is surprisingly
    good.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Joe

    On Nov 8, 3:44 am, Jay Hamsen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:35 -0800, Joe <> wrote:
    > >See it viahttp://Muvy.org

    > Well, that's just silly. He could have bought an inexpensive Sony F707, F717,
    > F828, or H9 and obtained the same thing, only with high-resolution still frame
    > IR photography too.

    You obviously do no have a grasp or understanding about the technology
    associated with FLIR, as witnessed by your silly comparison to Sony
    products. Do a little reading before you post such drivel.

    , Nov 15, 2007
  7. Re: (video) Guy shows off FLIR infrared thermal video camera that hebought off Ebay.

    On Nov 8, 2:44 am, Jay Hamsen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:35 -0800, Joe <> wrote:
    > >See it viahttp://Muvy.org

    > Well, that's just silly. He could have bought an inexpensive Sony F707, F717,
    > F828, or H9 and obtained the same thing, only with high-resolution still frame
    > IR photography too.

    The problem is that the term "IR" covers a much wider spectral range
    than does visible. IR covers from about 0.8 micron out to 100 microns
    (visible is about .4 to .7 microns). Thermal IR starts about 3.5 to 4
    microns, and the best band for thermal imaging is in the 8 to 12
    micron region.

    IR CCD cameras (or visible cameras modified to IR) only show out to
    just under 1 micron. The only heat radiation they will show is if
    something is so hot it glows (maybe 700 to 800 degrees F). Silicon
    detectors do not respond beyond that, and glass goes opaque.

    Either 3.5-5 micron or 8-12 micron cameras require VERY expensive
    detectors and LWIR transparent optics made of things like germanium,
    zinc sulphide or zinc selenide.

    When I was designing things cheap pyroelectric IR cameras went for
    15 to 20 grand, and good systems went for 40Kbucks on up.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 16, 2007