"Video GOP is too long...?" (TMPGEnc DVD Author)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Pat Johnson, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Pat Johnson

    Pat Johnson Guest

    Hi, all:

    I'm hoping someone can help me. I ripped a dvd using DVD Decrypter
    and then wanted to edit/insert chapters using TMPGEnc DVD Author. But
    when I tried opening up the decrypted files with Author, I got the
    following error message:

    -----
    The video GOP is too long.
    For a standard DVD it is necessary that the GOP fulfill the following
    condition:

    Max 36 fields (18 frames) (NTSC format only)
    Max 30 fields (15 frames) (PAL format only)
    -----

    I don't understand this because I've successfully copied/edited 5
    other movies using the same exact process. I also tried using DVD
    Shrink to rip this particular movie, but I got the same error through
    DVD Author. Is there a particular setting in Decrypter or Shrink that
    I should be changing?

    I'm a newbie, so if someone can please explain to me with step-by-step
    instructions of how I can fix this, I would REALLY appreciate it!

    Thanks!

    PJ

    Pat Johnson, Jun 17, 2004

  2. On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:18:50 -0700, Pat Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, all:
    >
    >I'm hoping someone can help me. I ripped a dvd using DVD Decrypter
    >and then wanted to edit/insert chapters using TMPGEnc DVD Author. But
    >when I tried opening up the decrypted files with Author, I got the
    >following error message:
    >
    >-----
    >The video GOP is too long.
    >For a standard DVD it is necessary that the GOP fulfill the following
    >condition:
    >
    >Max 36 fields (18 frames) (NTSC format only)
    >Max 30 fields (15 frames) (PAL format only)
    >-----
    >
    >I don't understand this because I've successfully copied/edited 5
    >other movies using the same exact process. I also tried using DVD
    >Shrink to rip this particular movie, but I got the same error through
    >DVD Author. Is there a particular setting in Decrypter or Shrink that
    >I should be changing?
    >
    >I'm a newbie, so if someone can please explain to me with step-by-step
    >instructions of how I can fix this, I would REALLY appreciate it!
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >PJ

    Use DVDlab, which will allow non-standard GOP lengths and pixel sizes
    (such as 480 X 480) to be used. I had the same problem with mpegs
    created by myself which should have been ok.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 18, 2004

  3. Pat Johnson

    Pat Johnson Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:16:33 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >Use DVDlab, which will allow non-standard GOP lengths and pixel sizes
    >(such as 480 X 480) to be used. I had the same problem with mpegs
    >created by myself which should have been ok.

    Steve:

    Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I did try using
    DVDLab, and while I was able to open the DVD file and edit it, I had
    trouble compiling the disc -- the last few chapters I inserted went
    missing, and in the middle of the movie, it would loop back to the
    beginning. (I set up DVDLab's Connections by deleting the menu and
    having the arrow point to the movie upon Play.)

    Thanks for any other suggestions you might have.

    PJ

    Pat Johnson, Jun 18, 2004
  4. On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:54:28 -0700, Pat Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:16:33 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >>Use DVDlab, which will allow non-standard GOP lengths and pixel sizes
    >>(such as 480 X 480) to be used. I had the same problem with mpegs
    >>created by myself which should have been ok.

    >Steve:
    >
    >Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I did try using
    >DVDLab, and while I was able to open the DVD file and edit it, I had
    >trouble compiling the disc -- the last few chapters I inserted went
    >missing, and in the middle of the movie, it would loop back to the
    >beginning. (I set up DVDLab's Connections by deleting the menu and
    >having the arrow point to the movie upon Play.)
    >
    >Thanks for any other suggestions you might have.

    For compiling use "Alternative Engine" and "Forced Audio." And yes,
    manually setting play links is an idea, but should be unnecessary. Let
    DVDlab demux the mpeg and remux to the vobs during compile.

    .. Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 18, 2004
  5. Pat Johnson

    Pat Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:51:30 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >For compiling use "Alternative Engine" and "Forced Audio." And yes,
    >manually setting play links is an idea, but should be unnecessary. Let
    >DVDlab demux the mpeg and remux to the vobs during compile.

    Just tried it...and same results.

    I don't get why the output result is coming out so weird. I thought
    the files might be corrupted, but I tried playing it in DVDLab, and
    the movie plays all the way through.

    Any other ideas?

    Pat Johnson, Jun 18, 2004
  6. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:28:09 -0700, Pat Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:51:30 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>For compiling use "Alternative Engine" and "Forced Audio." And yes,
    >>manually setting play links is an idea, but should be unnecessary. Let
    >>DVDlab demux the mpeg and remux to the vobs during compile.

    >Just tried it...and same results.
    >
    >I don't get why the output result is coming out so weird. I thought
    >the files might be corrupted, but I tried playing it in DVDLab, and
    >the movie plays all the way through.
    >
    >Any other ideas?

    Maybe something's wrong with the mpeg. However, DVDlab does develop
    seemingly incurable bugs. For instance my current install will not add
    a "Movie 5" it always goes 1, 2, 3, 4, then 6 when adding, Menu
    creation etc points correctly to these movies, except, if I remove or
    edit chapters from movie #6 during production, (rather than adding
    them then leaving them alone) while the pre-compile checks allright
    during testing, after compile pressing any menu item for movie 6
    during playback causes the screen to go back to the Root menu. You
    also had trouble with TmpegDVDauthor so it wouldn't be just a DVDlab
    problem, but it might be different issues for each program.
    Personally I'm going to uninstall DVDlab, delete any registry entries,
    and reinstall, to solve the bug.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 18, 2004
  7. Pat Johnson

    Pat Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:00:18 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >Maybe something's wrong with the mpeg. However, DVDlab does develop
    >seemingly incurable bugs. For instance my current install will not add
    >a "Movie 5" it always goes 1, 2, 3, 4, then 6 when adding, Menu
    >creation etc points correctly to these movies, except, if I remove or
    >edit chapters from movie #6 during production, (rather than adding
    >them then leaving them alone) while the pre-compile checks allright
    >during testing, after compile pressing any menu item for movie 6
    >during playback causes the screen to go back to the Root menu. You
    >also had trouble with TmpegDVDauthor so it wouldn't be just a DVDlab
    >problem, but it might be different issues for each program.
    >Personally I'm going to uninstall DVDlab, delete any registry entries,
    >and reinstall, to solve the bug.

    I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

    Pat Johnson, Jun 18, 2004