Video format help

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Laphan, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi All

    Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
    video.

    I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
    wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
    All very messy.

    I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI was
    the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
    doesn't everybody simply use WMV?

    Is AVI really MPEG-4?

    I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
    these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

    Any pointers you can give to fill the huge gaps in my knowledge would be
    really appreciated.

    Thanks

    Laphan, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Laphan

    Neck & Red Guest

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All
    >
    > Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
    > video.
    >
    > I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
    > wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
    > All very messy.
    >
    > I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
    > was
    > the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
    > doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
    >
    > Is AVI really MPEG-4?
    >
    > I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
    > these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

    DVD is Mpeg2

    Neck & Red, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All
    >
    > Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
    > video.
    >
    > I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
    > wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
    > All very messy.
    >
    > I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
    > was
    > the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
    > doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
    >
    > Is AVI really MPEG-4?
    >
    > I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
    > these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

    DVD is Mpeg2

    ----

    Hi Neck

    Thanks for coming back to me.

    If DVD is Mpeg2 then whats the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?

    Once I've done the editing in moviemaker the finished article is going to go
    onto a DVD so is it best to save to mpeg2?

    Rgds

    Laphan, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Laphan

    SoCalCommie Guest

    AVI is an uncompressed video format, that's why the file is so huge. MPEG-4
    is the latest compresson scheme (2x to 4x more compression than MPEG-2).
    MPEG-2 compression is better than MPEG-1 without adding more visible
    artifacts.

    TTUL... John

    SoCalCommie, Feb 4, 2007
  5. "Laphan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All
    >
    > Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
    > video.
    >
    > I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
    > wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
    > All very messy.
    >
    > I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI

    was
    > the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
    > doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
    >
    > Is AVI really MPEG-4?
    >
    > I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
    > these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.
    >
    > Any pointers you can give to fill the huge gaps in my knowledge would be
    > really appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    AVI is a container file. Until recently it usually held an uncompressed
    file. Obviously that's the CoDec type you used. You have a larger file
    without gaining any quality. Newer MPG4 variants use the AVI container too.
    They're slightly more efficient than MPG2 but aren't very compatible.

    AFAIC MPG2 is the top standard because it mostly what's used in DVDs. It's
    also what's used in digital TV in the US. Some older AVI and MPG1 is in the
    DVD standard but is seldom used.

    I use MPG2 almost exclusively and convert to other formats when needed. If
    you use something else it's much more likely you'll have to convert it to
    MPG2 than the other way around. To me the small increase in efficiency of
    the newer formats aren't worth the hassle.

    Captain Midnight, Feb 4, 2007
  6. Laphan

    Stuart Guest

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message

    > "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    >
    > "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
    >> video.
    >>
    >> I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the
    >> file
    >> wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
    >> All very messy.
    >>
    >> I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
    >> was
    >> the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
    >> doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
    >>
    >> Is AVI really MPEG-4?
    >>
    >> I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
    >> these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

    > DVD is Mpeg2
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Hi Neck
    >
    > Thanks for coming back to me.
    >
    > If DVD is Mpeg2 then whats the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?
    >
    > Once I've done the editing in moviemaker the finished article is going to
    > go
    > onto a DVD so is it best to save to mpeg2?
    >
    > Rgds

    " If DVD is Mpeg2 then what's the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?"

    No benefit at all as both are compressed formats (I'm assuming by avi you
    mean DivX or Xvid movies you might download) and during the process of DVD
    authoring they will be re-encoded to mpeg2 (VOB format). The only benefit
    these formats have is they are smaller than mpeg and take less time to
    download but at the cost of quality. If your aim is to play back on a PC and
    you have a limited hard disk capacity then DivX or Xvid or WMV are
    reasonable choices. If you making a DVD then just copy the vob files off
    the original assuming they are not protected.

    Stuart, Feb 5, 2007