    can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.

    Any pointers ?

    Nick, May 19, 2004

  2. Nick

    cowboyz Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether
    > within windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around
    > parts of a video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just
    > started looking at this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from
    > my camera, but although I can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as
    > to what to do next. in terms of programs, as I say, with or without
    > windows xp.
    >
    > Any pointers ?

    I use winproducer but only because it come with my card and does the job
    realatively easily. Can be a frustrating POS though if you click the worng
    button or not paying attention. There are others though.

    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinProducerCD_Profile.jsp

    cowboyz, May 19, 2004

  3. Nick

    gimp Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.

    checkout tucows.com and browse your way to movie editors or
    multimedia... if there is anything shareware or freeware it will be there.

    gimp, May 19, 2004
  4. Nick

    Collector Guest

    Nick wrote:

    >hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    >windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    >video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    >this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    >can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    >programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    >
    >Any pointers ?

    Much as I hate recommending MS, the Moviemaker in XP is actually V Good
    for dealing with camera footage, great for taking out those scenes of
    your foot etc titling etc is a little harder but possible.

    Collector, May 19, 2004
  5. Nick

    ufo_hk Guest

    Video editing:
    http://www.lordsmurf.com

    DVD burning and editing:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    Want to put big "movies" on CD:
    http://www.kvcd.org/portal/index.php

    I tend to use Ulead productions most of the time as they are easy to use.
    http://www.ulead.com Note trial downloads of all products available
    Videostudio is simple to use and gives heaps of options, you don't need
    Capture / editing / authoring all in one package.

    Otherwise free ware in terms of
    Editor - Virtualdub (see www.videohelp.com "tools" section)
    Encoder - TMPGEnc (see www.videohelp.com "tools" section)

    ufo_hk, May 19, 2004
  6. Nick wrote:
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether
    > within windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around
    > parts of a video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just
    > started looking at this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from
    > my camera, but although I can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as
    > to what to do next. in terms of programs, as I say, with or without
    > windows xp.

    Nick, Movie Maker which comes free with XP is really good for getting the
    basics sorted it. It'll capture video/audio, then using a timeline displays
    the clips which you can trim, move around, add transitions, mix more
    sound,add graphics and so on. MM will also control the vid cam thru the
    firewire cable (ffwd, stop, etc).

    www.windowsmoviemakers.net has some stuff.

    Have fun !

    Waylon Smithers, May 19, 2004
  7. On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:47:39 +1200, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    >windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    >video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    >this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    >can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    >programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    >
    >Any pointers ?

    The two that I would suggest having a look at are:

    TMPGEnc, http://www.tmpgenc.net/ which I use to edit the Mpeg1 and 2
    files that my TV card creates, and

    VirtualDub, http://www.virtualdub.org/index which isn't bad for AVI
    and Mpeg work.

    Both are free in some form, work with XP, and are reasonably easy to
    play with.

    When I'm editing the ad breaks out of a TV program I want to keep, I
    start with one movie file like you have. I use TMPGEnc because the
    files are usually Mpeg1 format. I load the file, specify exactly the
    range of frames that I want to keep, and then save that to another
    file. I do that for the first part of the TV show, up to the first ad
    break, then do it again for the second section, and finally from the
    second ad break to the end (if it a half hour show). So I end up with
    3 new video files, which I then patch together with a program called
    CombiMovie. http://12video.com/MxTools/CombiMovie.htm which is
    average, but the only freeware one I could find.

    But what you do will depend on the format you are working in and what
    exactly you want to do.

    Hope that helps a little,
    James

    James McLaughlin, May 19, 2004
  8. Nick

    steve Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    >
    > Any pointers ?

    The software included with Pinnacle's Studio PCTV is pretty good.

    I've used it a lot.

    I've also used Adobe Premier.....but that is a more powerful and
    feature-rich application.....and takes longer to learn...and costs a lot
    more.

    If your vids are in mpeg format, you require some conversion to a format
    the video-edit apps will support.

    That will depend on the app concerned.

    steve, May 19, 2004
  9. Nick

    Michael Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    >
    > Any pointers ?

    I use Pinnacle Studio http://www.pinnaclesys.com
    Current version is 9 or 10, Im using 8.
    Allows you to do full capture, edit, and burn to tape, avi, stream, cd,
    vcd, dvd all in the one program.
    Has excellent transistions, allows you to add sound effects, cd music
    and it has a really cool auto music generator that creates music for
    the exact length of video you need. real cool.

    I've just create a DVD with full menus, chapters of my holidays and kids
    onto DVD using just this program, nothing else. Took me about 2
    evenings to produce it which is pretty good I think.

    Michael, May 19, 2004
  10. Nick

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message news:...
    > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although

    > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms

    of
    > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    >
    > Any pointers ?

    Depends what you want to do with it when finished, and if it's got sound
    that needs to stay in sync.

    Virtual Dub, which is free does a good easy basic job of editing. Good for
    capturing as well.

    If want to make VCDs and SVCDs to play on a CDR compatible DVD player.
    That's a bit different. Capture in the best quality AVI format you can
    (DivX is fine). You can do some changes in Virtual Dub, just don't use it
    to edit it. The best program to edit, create the VCD and burn it all in one
    I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It will edit a long DivX video file
    without stuffing the sound sync. The Cyberlink programs were free on some
    magazines not that long ago. You can also merge video files into one using
    Power Producer, plus a few other things like titling for DVD players etc.
    Power Producer includes an option of putting a DVD player program with the
    main format codecs on the CD so almost any PC can play the VCD (or SVCD)
    without needing any special codecs on their PC to play it.

    For your little test video (or whatever) you might like to just edit it with
    Virtual Dub. Save it as an AVI video file. Then Burn it to a CD and a
    backup CD if you're worried about something happening to the first CD.
    Media Player should be able to play it back whenever you choose to.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2004
  11. Nick

    Nick Guest

    > > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether

    within
    > > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking

    at
    > > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but

    although
    > > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms

    > of
    > > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    > >
    > > Any pointers ?

    > Depends what you want to do with it when finished, and if it's got sound
    > that needs to stay in sync.
    >
    > Virtual Dub, which is free does a good easy basic job of editing. Good

    for
    > capturing as well.
    >
    > If want to make VCDs and SVCDs to play on a CDR compatible DVD player.
    > That's a bit different. Capture in the best quality AVI format you can
    > (DivX is fine). You can do some changes in Virtual Dub, just don't use it
    > to edit it. The best program to edit, create the VCD and burn it all in

    one
    > I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It will edit a long DivX video

    file
    > without stuffing the sound sync. The Cyberlink programs were free on some
    > magazines not that long ago. You can also merge video files into one

    using
    > Power Producer, plus a few other things like titling for DVD players etc.
    > Power Producer includes an option of putting a DVD player program with the
    > main format codecs on the CD so almost any PC can play the VCD (or SVCD)
    > without needing any special codecs on their PC to play it.
    >
    > For your little test video (or whatever) you might like to just edit it

    with
    > Virtual Dub. Save it as an AVI video file. Then Burn it to a CD and a
    > backup CD if you're worried about something happening to the first CD.
    > Media Player should be able to play it back whenever you choose to.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    thanks people. Ill play with windows movie maker. till I got the basics
    down. IF i wanna play around with more then Ill look at it again. thanks
    again

    Nick, May 19, 2004
  12. In article <40aaf31f$>, steve@mozilla-
    thunderbird0.6.org.nz says...
    > Nick wrote:
    > > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
    > > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
    > > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
    > > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
    > > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
    > > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    > >
    > > Any pointers ?

    > The software included with Pinnacle's Studio PCTV is pretty good.
    >
    > I've used it a lot.
    >
    > I've also used Adobe Premier.....but that is a more powerful and
    > feature-rich application.....and takes longer to learn...and costs a lot
    > more.

    Nice if you want to do really fancy stuff, 99 tracks of video at once :)

    Patrick Dunford, May 19, 2004
  13. Nick

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > > > hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether

    > within
    > > > windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of

    > > > video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking

    > at
    > > > this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but

    > although
    > > > can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in

    terms
    > > of
    > > > programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
    > > >
    > > > Any pointers ?

    > > Depends what you want to do with it when finished, and if it's got sound
    > > that needs to stay in sync.
    > >
    > > Virtual Dub, which is free does a good easy basic job of editing. Good

    > for
    > > capturing as well.
    > >
    > > If want to make VCDs and SVCDs to play on a CDR compatible DVD player.
    > > That's a bit different. Capture in the best quality AVI format you can
    > > (DivX is fine). You can do some changes in Virtual Dub, just don't use

    it
    > > to edit it. The best program to edit, create the VCD and burn it all in

    > one
    > > I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It will edit a long DivX video

    > file
    > > without stuffing the sound sync. The Cyberlink programs were free on

    some
    > > magazines not that long ago. You can also merge video files into one

    > using
    > > Power Producer, plus a few other things like titling for DVD players

    etc.
    > > Power Producer includes an option of putting a DVD player program with

    the
    > > main format codecs on the CD so almost any PC can play the VCD (or SVCD)
    > > without needing any special codecs on their PC to play it.
    > >
    > > For your little test video (or whatever) you might like to just edit it

    > with
    > > Virtual Dub. Save it as an AVI video file. Then Burn it to a CD and a
    > > backup CD if you're worried about something happening to the first CD.
    > > Media Player should be able to play it back whenever you choose to.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge
    > >

    > thanks people. Ill play with windows movie maker. till I got the basics
    > down. IF i wanna play around with more then Ill look at it again. thanks
    > again

    It's a good place to start since you've got it there to use. Movie Maker
    can be useful for making very small compressed video clips of around a MB
    for emails in the MS media format.
    You'll find some other software is easy to use with more to offer, once you
    get used to them. Power Director offers a large range of effects etc.
    Virtual Dub offers a large and very useful range of filters (adding
    sharpness, colour saturation, cropping, and resizing, plus many others).
    You'll find some software can be time consuming especially while getting
    used to it. While other software just isn't worth worrying about for the
    results it offers.

    One big tip: Is that while DivX offers real good results for the levels of
    compression, it's also a very power hungry format for recording and playing
    back especially in it's best lowest compression range. People with lower
    spec PCs will struggle to play them very well at all - unlike the VCD format
    which plays like a charm on most older low spec PCs. Encoding from DivX and
    other AVI formats to VCD can give good clean results, better than capturing
    straight to VCD - though WinDVR does a fairly good job directly creating VCD
    (mpeg 1).

    Whatever you try you'll get different results. Some will be better and
    easier than others once you get used to them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2004
  14. Nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > The best program to edit, create the VCD
    > and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    > will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    > The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long ago.

    I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long ago? I
    have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I have it) if I
    had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those "register by the end
    of the month" things.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  15. In article <_vTqc.7413$>,
    says...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > The best program to edit, create the VCD
    > > and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    > > will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    > > The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long ago.

    > I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long ago? I
    > have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I have it) if I
    > had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those "register by the end
    > of the month" things.

    PC USer in Australia late 2003/earl 2004

    Patrick Dunford, May 20, 2004
  16. Nick

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > The best program to edit, create the VCD
    > > and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    > > will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    > > The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long ago.

    > I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long ago? I
    > have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I have it) if

    > had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those "register by the

    end
    > of the month" things.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    PC User November 2003
    You had to go to a special page on Cyberlink's website to get serial numbers
    sent for installation.
    I'm sure they appeared on other Mag cover CDs as well.
    Power VCR II Pro - I didn't find it that useful.
    Power Director 1.1 - good value for editing with titles and special
    transition effects.

    Power Producer 1.0 - The best of the lot. It will create Mini DVDs, or if
    you have a DVD writer - will create and burn DVD. High Quality 60 minutes -
    Standard Play 80 minutes - Long Play 90 minutes.
    Editing takes a bit to get used to after using Virtual Dub. You have to
    select each segment between the ads, which ends up in the work area. For a
    show like Top Gear you end up with 5 clips. Then you select to merge the
    lot back into one clip again. It also gives you an idea of the lousy ad
    breaks in an hour show with different size clips between ads. The first and
    last clip of the show runs for about 15 minutes, while in the middle of the
    show the clips are about 7 minutes long on average. Once it's back into one
    clip with the ads gone you title it, select a background for the title page,
    then leave it to encode to VCD and burn the CD. About an hour to encode,
    plus a few minutes to burn.
    No sound sync audio problems with DivX files, just as long as you don't use
    Virtual Dub to do edit any bits out of the original clip first, that will
    stuff the audio on the second half of an hour show.
    After seeing what Power Producer can do, it would be one of the few software
    programs worth paying for if one had to.
    VCDs created by it look just as good as the genuine commercial VCDs do, as
    long as your TV signal looks good for the DivX capture to start with. When
    played through the DVD player it looks pretty much like the original program
    did.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2004
  17. Nick

    bAZZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> The best program to edit, create the VCD
    >>and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    >>will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    >>The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long ago.

    > I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long ago? I
    > have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I have it) if I
    > had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those "register by the end
    > of the month" things.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Don't they piss you off if you decide a month or two later to install em

    bazz

    bAZZ, May 20, 2004
  18. Nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> The best program to edit, create the VCD
    >>> and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    >>> will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    >>> The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long
    >>> ago.

    >> I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long
    >> ago? I have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I
    >> have it) if I had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those
    >> "register by the end of the month" things.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Don't they piss you off if you decide a month or two later to install
    > em

    For sure. It's happened to me a few times. I don't just install everything
    on a cover disk when I get it, I install it when I need it. However I've
    ended up being unable to use it several times now.

    I've just found the cover disk, it say's on-line registration required.

    Well, I've just been to the registration page and it doesn't say anything
    about being expired. I filled in my details and now await a registration
    key.....

    Which I just got. Waahoo!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  19. Nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <_vTqc.7413$>,
    > says...
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> The best program to edit, create the VCD
    >>> and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    >>> will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    >>> The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long
    >>> ago.

    >> I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long
    >> ago? I have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I
    >> have it) if I had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those
    >> "register by the end of the month" things.

    > PC USer in Australia late 2003/earl 2004

    Thanks Patrick, found it, Nov '03.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  20. Nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> The best program to edit, create the VCD
    >>> and burn it all in one I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It
    >>> will edit a long DivX video file without stuffing the sound sync.
    >>> The Cyberlink programs were free on some magazines not that long
    >>> ago.

    >> I don't suppose you remember which magazine/s and roughly how long
    >> ago? I have a drawer full of cover CDs, it'd be easier to find (if I
    >> have it) if I had a bit more to go on. I hope it wasn't one of those
    >> "register by the end of the month" things.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > PC User November 2003
    > You had to go to a special page on Cyberlink's website to get serial
    > numbers sent for installation.
    > I'm sure they appeared on other Mag cover CDs as well.
    > Power VCR II Pro - I didn't find it that useful.
    > Power Director 1.1 - good value for editing with titles and special
    > transition effects.
    >
    > Power Producer 1.0 - The best of the lot. It will create Mini DVDs,
    > or if you have a DVD writer - will create and burn DVD. High Quality
    > 60 minutes - Standard Play 80 minutes - Long Play 90 minutes.
    > Editing takes a bit to get used to after using Virtual Dub. You have
    > to select each segment between the ads, which ends up in the work
    > area. For a show like Top Gear you end up with 5 clips. Then you
    > select to merge the lot back into one clip again. It also gives you
    > an idea of the lousy ad breaks in an hour show with different size
    > clips between ads. The first and last clip of the show runs for
    > about 15 minutes, while in the middle of the show the clips are about
    > 7 minutes long on average. Once it's back into one clip with the ads
    > gone you title it, select a background for the title page, then leave
    > it to encode to VCD and burn the CD. About an hour to encode, plus a
    > few minutes to burn.
    > No sound sync audio problems with DivX files, just as long as you
    > don't use Virtual Dub to do edit any bits out of the original clip
    > first, that will stuff the audio on the second half of an hour show.
    > After seeing what Power Producer can do, it would be one of the few
    > software programs worth paying for if one had to.
    > VCDs created by it look just as good as the genuine commercial VCDs
    > do, as long as your TV signal looks good for the DivX capture to
    > start with. When played through the DVD player it looks pretty much
    > like the original program did.

    Thanks Scrooge, got it.
    --
    ~misfit~