    (WinAVI) ...and it's not random...it's always in exactly the same place.

    For the money I paid this outfit...I'll probably have them remake the DVD...
    but just wondering in any video enthusiasts have seen this problem?
    philo, Aug 12, 2006

  2. philo

    doS Guest

    get www.womble.com

    doS, Aug 12, 2006

  3. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 07:58:14 -0500, philo wrote:

    > I've never done much video editing...but recently had all my 8mm home
    > movies converted and burned to a DVD.
    > The outfit that did it said they put no encoding on it and I'm free to
    > edit as I wish.
    > The DVD consists of four, .vob files which all seem to be fine as far as I
    > can tell...as the DVD plays
    > in a DVD player...and I can play the .vob files individually in my VLC
    > application.
    >
    > However...when I send the .vob files to my editor for conversion to .avi
    > *one* one of the files crashes my software
    >
    > (WinAVI) ...and it's not random...it's always in exactly the same place.
    >
    > For the money I paid this outfit...I'll probably have them remake the
    > DVD... but just wondering in any video enthusiasts have seen this problem?

    Try different software. There are trial and free versions of software out
    there that should allow you to troubleshoot this further.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Aug 12, 2006
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    >> However...when I send the .vob files to my editor for conversion to .avi
    >> *one* one of the files crashes my software
    >>
    >> (WinAVI) ...and it's not random...it's always in exactly the same place.
    >>
    >> For the money I paid this outfit...I'll probably have them remake the
    >> DVD... but just wondering in any video enthusiasts have seen this
    >> problem?

    > Try different software. There are trial and free versions of software out
    > there that should allow you to troubleshoot this further.

    I tried about 6 different software packages and this one worked the best by
    far...
    But of course it was only after I paid for it that I ran into a problem :)
    philo, Aug 12, 2006
  5. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:19:59 -0500, philo wrote:

    > <snip>
    >

    >>> However...when I send the .vob files to my editor for conversion to
    >>> .avi *one* one of the files crashes my software
    >>>
    >>> (WinAVI) ...and it's not random...it's always in exactly the same
    >>> place.
    >>>
    >>> For the money I paid this outfit...I'll probably have them remake the
    >>> DVD... but just wondering in any video enthusiasts have seen this
    >>> problem?

    >> Try different software. There are trial and free versions of software
    >> out there that should allow you to troubleshoot this further.
    >>

    > I tried about 6 different software packages and this one worked the best
    > by far...
    > But of course it was only after I paid for it that I ran into a problem :)

    Try TMPGenc's trial on that VOB.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Aug 12, 2006
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    >> I tried about 6 different software packages and this one worked the best
    >> by far...
    >> But of course it was only after I paid for it that I ran into a problem
    >> :)

    > Try TMPGenc's trial on that VOB.

    Ok I'll give that one a try... the other trial versions would let you
    convert the first 1/3 of the .vob...

    however the problem is ...it crashed about 60% of the way through!
    philo, Aug 12, 2006
  7. philo

    doS Guest

    did you try womble?

    doS, Aug 12, 2006
  8. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:48:35 -0500, philo wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> I tried about 6 different software packages and this one worked the
    >>> best by far...
    >>> But of course it was only after I paid for it that I ran into a problem
    >>> :)

    >> Try TMPGenc's trial on that VOB.

    > Ok I'll give that one a try... the other trial versions would let you
    > convert the first 1/3 of the .vob...
    >
    > however the problem is ...it crashed about 60% of the way through!

    LOL, TMPGenc only allows you 30 minutes in the trial version so I guess
    you're SOL. But I will tell you what, I swear by TMPGenc. It is the
    fastest creator to take MPEG-2 to DVD architecture I have used. Haven't
    tried it yet on AVI but we're going on a road trip this weekend and I'll
    take the mini-DV with me then experiment. I purchased it primarily to take
    captured TV video or A/V from my Fly TV Platinum card and turn it into DVD.
    TMPGenc also has some templates to create menus with. Not too elaborate
    like some of the bundled stuff you get when you buy a mini-DV but just
    enough to make a nice DVD.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Aug 12, 2006
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > did you try womble?

    No...

    but as it turns out...I was able to convert enough of the DVD to allow me to
    do the project I wanted to do.

    All the video I needed to edit is OK....

    Since this 8mm film was a once in a lifetime conversion...I guess I'll just
    get to work on my project now

    thanks!
    philo, Aug 12, 2006