    I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave C., Aug 13, 2011

  2. Dave C.

    me again Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
    > not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
    > work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    VOB ::= Video Object

    They are not designed to be run alone, however, several programs will
    play them. My favorite (30 day free trial) is MVW (MPEG Video Wizard)
    from Womble.

    me again, Aug 13, 2011

  3. Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
    > I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
    > not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
    > work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    The popular freeware VLC Media Player will play .Vob files - and most
    other audio or video formats. It is for Win9x-Win7 systems. It is
    available from:

    http://www.freewarefiles.com/VLC-Media-Player-VideoLAN_program_13617.html

    There is also a portable version of the program that you can keep on
    your flash drive useable on WinXP-7:

    http://www.freewarefiles.com/Portable-VLC-Media-Player_program_20222.html

    The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
    portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
    Portable Apps).

    You can also convert the file format. Since there are so many format
    converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
    recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
    (including icons), DVD & ISO formats. It also has built in audio &
    video joiners, but I use other video editing software.

    Format Factory is available free at:
    http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html

    Hope this helps.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Aug 13, 2011
  4. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
    > not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
    > work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    A file extension on a file, is not a reliable indicator
    of the contents of the file.

    If you need a guess at what kind of file it is, or what
    kind of CODEC might handle it, try GSpot. It isn't
    actively maintained, but it's still a handy tool to
    have at your disposal. (If you're a full time video editor,
    this won't be able to identify half of the stuff out there,
    but, it's better than nothing.

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

    There is a screenshot here.

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c6pRzTJ4LDc/S8xCNBXdOCI/AAAAAAAAAtM/b_N9r_C3Xss/s400/HeadbandsGS.jpg

    Using the info in that screen, you can then come back and ask
    where you can find a MPEG2 CODEC or an MPEG2 player etc.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2011
  5. Dave C.

    me again Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Dave C. wrote:
    >> I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
    >> not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
    >> work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave

    > A file extension on a file, is not a reliable indicator
    > of the contents of the file.

    That's so, but if it is a video DVD ( and not a data DVD ) then the file extensions
    are required.

    me again, Aug 14, 2011
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Aug 13, 6:59 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
    >
    > > I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB.  My computer will
    > > not run them.  I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
    > > work.  What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?

    > > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Dave

    > The popular freeware VLC Media Player will play .Vob files - and most
    > other audio or video formats.  It is for Win9x-Win7 systems.  It is
    > available from:
    >
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/VLC-Media-Player-VideoLAN_program_13617....
    >
    > There is also a portable version of the program that you can keep on
    > your flash drive useable on WinXP-7:
    >
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/Portable-VLC-Media-Player_program_20222....
    >
    > The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
    > portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
    > Portable Apps).
    >
    > You can also convert the file format.  Since there are so many format
    > converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
    > recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
    > (including icons), DVD & ISO formats.  It also has built in audio &
    > video joiners, but I use other video editing software.
    >
    > Format Factory is available free at:http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    > and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    > swept off to.
    > -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    Thanks, Jim. That worked out very nice for me. Also, I am going to
    play around with the Format Factory which might be useful from time to
    time.

    Best regards,

    Dave

    Dave C., Aug 14, 2011
  7. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    > The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
    > portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
    > Portable Apps).
    >
    > You can also convert the file format.  Since there are so many format
    > converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
    > recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
    > (including icons), DVD & ISO formats.  It also has built in audio &
    > video joiners, but I use other video editing software.
    >
    > Format Factory is available free at:http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim

    Jim

    As I mentioned, the VLC Media Player worked out perfectly for me.

    You mentioned another video joiner that you use. Which one would that
    be?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave C., Aug 14, 2011
  8. Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :

    > Jim
    >
    > As I mentioned, the VLC Media Player worked out perfectly for me.
    >
    > You mentioned another video joiner that you use. Which one would that
    > be?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Glad VLC worked out for you, Dave.

    I use a combination of NCH Software products for audio/visual editing.

    http://www.nch.com.au/index.html

    For audio, I use WavePad, which allows editing and some effects of
    audio files in numerous formats.

    http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

    For video, I use VideoPad. It also works with multiple formats. It's
    pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
    subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.

    http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

    I use their products because of the many different formats they work
    with. Far too many of the products out there work only with one or two
    or so formats, which means you might have to convert a format to match
    up, then edit or so on. Also, far too many only do one function, too,
    such as only joining, only cutting, and so on.

    There are 2 problems with their software.

    1) The download versions are demos - partially time-bombware. After a
    trial period, the premium functions are shut off unless you purchase
    the $$$ version, which is the case with lots of freeware. However, the
    free version still contains more than enough features to be functional
    and then some. I've been using them both (freeware versions) for a
    long time and they've done more than a lot of other software I tried
    (and I tried a lot).

    2) When you install one of their programs, it automatically places in
    your Menu links to their other software, taking you to the page for
    those programs you click on. There's quite a few of them. Not all are
    freeware. This is quite annoying, but some of the other software is
    pretty cool. You can always just delete these items from your menu.

    I've tried just about every freeware A/V editing program carried on
    several sites and I stick with these.

    Also, I don't recommend the freeware usenet group. Almost all of it is
    unrelated bickering, spam, and so on. You spend more time killfiling
    than discussing freeware. It's better just to peruse the freeware
    sites yourself.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, Aug 15, 2011
  9. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    > For video, I use VideoPad.  It also works with multiple formats.  It's
    > pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
    > subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.
    >
    > http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim

    Jim,

    The Video Pad is a success! It has far more features that I need. It
    is quite elegant and after a little time with the help file, it worked
    great. I just clip apart some videos and join some together.

    Thanks for your time and the additional information.

    Regards,

    Dave

    Dave C., Aug 15, 2011
  10. Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
    >> For video, I use VideoPad.  It also works with multiple formats.  It's
    >> pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
    >> subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.
    >>
    >> http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

    >> --
    >> -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>

    > Jim,
    >
    > The Video Pad is a success! It has far more features that I need. It
    > is quite elegant and after a little time with the help file, it worked
    > great. I just clip apart some videos and join some together.
    >
    > Thanks for your time and the additional information.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave

    No problem. I hope you have as much fun with it as I have. Now if I
    could just find a decent freeware DVD Authoring program that makes an
    entire DVD playable, not just the first 10 minutes. I'm running out of
    discs.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
    you might not get there."
    - Yogi Berra

    James D Andrews, Aug 15, 2011
  11. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    I get here via "reader.news4all.se" and it's been down allot lately. Shucks
    I'm late on a question I can answer!

    Something I didn't see said...

    In the DVD folder of .vobs, look for the VIDEO_TS.IFO

    This is like a cue sheet or play list for the folder's contents to play
    consecutively. Select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with a media player, ie: VLC.

    Media players for DVDs that I like better (smoother picture) than VLC are:
    PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theater 5 which plays Bluray and upscales standard
    def.

    Kele, Aug 19, 2011