    Can someone suggest a possible cause of this problem? (BTW, the video
    card works fine under Linux).

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 29, 2003

  2. > I've been rejuvenating an oldish Celeron machine. I put some more
    > memory in, and installed W2000. Everything is fine except the video.
    > The m/b has an onboard SiS 620 VGA adapter, and my video card is an old
    > nVidia Riva TNT 128. I found the drivers for W2000 for each of these on
    > the web, and installed them. But in Device Manager both show up under
    > Display adapters with the yellow !, with device status "This device
    > cannot start (code 10)". I'm only getting the default 16 colour,
    > 800x600 display.
    >
    > Can someone suggest a possible cause of this problem? (BTW, the video
    > card works fine under Linux).

    Change the display init order in the bios to init the AGP first, IIRC the SIS
    dont support being a secondary display.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >> I've been rejuvenating an oldish Celeron machine. I put some more
    >> memory in, and installed W2000. Everything is fine except the video.
    >> The m/b has an onboard SiS 620 VGA adapter, and my video card is an
    >> old nVidia Riva TNT 128. I found the drivers for W2000 for each of
    >> these on the web, and installed them. But in Device Manager both show
    >> up under Display adapters with the yellow !, with device status "This
    >> device cannot start (code 10)". I'm only getting the default 16
    >> colour, 800x600 display.
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a possible cause of this problem? (BTW, the video
    >> card works fine under Linux).

    > Change the display init order in the bios to init the AGP first, IIRC
    > the SIS dont support being a secondary display.

    Thanks, but I just cracked it. In the bios I enabled "Assign IRQ for
    VGA", and now the Riva TNT is working. I uninstalled the SiS driver.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Gib Bogle

    T.N.O. Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Thanks, but I just cracked it. In the bios I enabled "Assign IRQ for
    > VGA", and now the Riva TNT is working. I uninstalled the SiS driver.

    heh, I was gonna say that, as I always forget that when I use the early
    Nvidia cards(Riva - TNT2).
    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003