    unsupported. Anyone have any idea on how i can convert these files?
    Thanks.

    , Feb 21, 2008

  2. Netmask Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to convert some videos that I have that are a .divx format
    > to something my ps3 will play. I am using Windows Media Connect to
    > access files from my machine. I have tried a number of different
    > things to convert these files to mpeg2 but i always get the file is
    > unsupported. Anyone have any idea on how i can convert these files?
    > Thanks.

    Try changing the suffix from .divx to .avi and as long as you have updated
    the firmware of the PS3 to support DIvX files it should work.

    Netmask, Feb 21, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Feb 21, 2:27 am, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,
    > > I am trying to convert some videos that I have that are a .divx format
    > > to something my ps3 will play.  I am using Windows Media Connect to
    > > access files from my machine.  I have tried a number of different
    > > things to convert these files to mpeg2 but i always get the file is
    > > unsupported.  Anyone have any idea on how i can convert these files?
    > > Thanks.

    > Try changing the suffix from .divx to .avi and as long as you have updated
    > the firmware of the PS3 to support DIvX files it should work.

    I am on using the 2.1 firmware which i thought was supposed to play a
    divx file, but there must be something different about these. I did
    try changing the file extension with no luck. I still get the file
    not supported error.

    , Feb 21, 2008
  4. Netmask Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Feb 21, 2:27 am, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,
    > > I am trying to convert some videos that I have that are a .divx format
    > > to something my ps3 will play. I am using Windows Media Connect to
    > > access files from my machine. I have tried a number of different
    > > things to convert these files to mpeg2 but i always get the file is
    > > unsupported. Anyone have any idea on how i can convert these files?
    > > Thanks.

    > Try changing the suffix from .divx to .avi and as long as you have updated
    > the firmware of the PS3 to support DIvX files it should work.

    I am on using the 2.1 firmware which i thought was supposed to play a
    divx file, but there must be something different about these. I did
    try changing the file extension with no luck. I still get the file
    not supported error.

    Is that the latest firmware ? - I don't have one yet but a friend does and
    he can play divx

    Netmask, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Netmask Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 21, 2:27 am, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Hello,
    >> > I am trying to convert some videos that I have that are a .divx format
    >> > to something my ps3 will play. I am using Windows Media Connect to
    >> > access files from my machine. I have tried a number of different
    >> > things to convert these files to mpeg2 but i always get the file is
    >> > unsupported. Anyone have any idea on how i can convert these files?
    >> > Thanks.

    >> Try changing the suffix from .divx to .avi and as long as you have
    >> updated
    >> the firmware of the PS3 to support DIvX files it should work.

    > I am on using the 2.1 firmware which i thought was supposed to play a
    > divx file, but there must be something different about these. I did
    > try changing the file extension with no luck. I still get the file
    > not supported error.
    >
    > Is that the latest firmware ? - I don't have one yet but a friend does and
    > he can play divx

    also check the divx files you have for the frame rate - they should be 24
    or 25 fps. If the files have been encoded at 30 or 60 fps they won't play

    Netmask, Feb 22, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Feb 21, 10:33 pm, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > > <> wrote in message
    > > On Feb 21, 2:27 am, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Try changing the suffix from .divx to .avi and as long as you have
    > >> updated
    > >> the firmware of the PS3 to support DIvX files it should work.

    > > I am on using the 2.1 firmware which i thought was supposed to play a
    > > divx file, but there must be something different about these.  I did
    > > try changing the file extension with no luck.  I still get the file
    > > not supported error.

    > > Is that the latest firmware ? - I don't have one yet but a friend does and
    > > he can play divx

    >  also check the divx files you have for the frame rate - they should be 24
    > or 25 fps. If the files  have been encoded at 30 or 60 fps they won't play- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for your help on this.
    Could you tell me a simple program to check the Frame Rate on these
    files, and if they are to big, how to reduce them or easily convert
    them to an mpeg format?

    , Feb 23, 2008
  7. ng_reader Guest

    usually videohelp.com is a good place to visit.

    but, doesn't the free divx player tell you frame rate in "properties"? I
    wouldn't know, but I do know the PC version of divx player is still free.

    ng_reader, Feb 24, 2008