    Are codec packs reliable? Any packs you would recommend?

    Thank you
    Oz
    Oz, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Oz

    trout Guest

    Oz wrote:

    > I've just re-installed windows xp on my PC, and I've made the mistake
    > of not noting down which video codecs I had on my system.
    > Is there a website which lists all the codecs I would need.
    > Are codec packs reliable? Any packs you would recommend?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Oz

    You *could* use this free utility to see which codecs you need:
    GSpot: <http://www.headbands.com/gspot/>

    The full Nimo Pack will probably have all you need:
    <http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html>

    --
    "Different packs are available."
    trout, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Oz

    gangle Guest

    "trout" wrote
    > Oz wrote:
    >
    > > I've just re-installed windows xp on my PC, and I've made the mistake
    > > of not noting down which video codecs I had on my system.
    > > Is there a website which lists all the codecs I would need.
    > > Are codec packs reliable? Any packs you would recommend?

    > You *could* use this free utility to see which codecs you need:
    > GSpot: <http://www.headbands.com/gspot/>
    >
    > The full Nimo Pack will probably have all you need:
    > <http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html>

    I don't think codec "packs" are a good idea. They can cause
    and have caused more harm than good: overwriting existing,
    working codecs, creating conficts where none existed. Any
    time a codec is needed (and only if needed) -- which G-Spot
    is useful in identifying -- it should be installed individually; then,
    if there is a problem, it (and only it) needs to be removed in
    an effort to restore the previous functionality. **** you.

    --
    My Penis Is Surrounded By 42º Mustard
    gangle, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Oz

    trout Guest

    gangle wrote:

    > "trout" wrote
    >> Oz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've just re-installed windows xp on my PC, and I've made the
    >>> mistake of not noting down which video codecs I had on my system.
    >>> Is there a website which lists all the codecs I would need.
    >>> Are codec packs reliable? Any packs you would recommend?

    >> You *could* use this free utility to see which codecs you need:
    >> GSpot: <http://www.headbands.com/gspot/>
    >>
    >> The full Nimo Pack will probably have all you need:
    >> <http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html>

    > I don't think codec "packs" are a good idea. They can cause
    > and have caused more harm than good: overwriting existing,
    > working codecs, creating conficts where none existed. Any
    > time a codec is needed (and only if needed) -- which G-Spot
    > is useful in identifying -- it should be installed individually; then,
    > if there is a problem, it (and only it) needs to be removed in
    > an effort to restore the previous functionality. **** you.

    Which is why I mentioned both, and in that order; as you are offered
    a selective installation menu with the Nimo pack.
    --
    "But why am I telling this to a confused old man that thinks he's
    communicating with his deceased Great-Aunt Rose; by means of a
    trout, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Oz

    gangle Guest

    "trout" wrote

    http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/visuals/rtmagt01.jpg
    gangle, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Oz

    Greg M Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in

    >> Which is why I mentioned both, and in that order; as you
    >> are offered
    >> a selective installation menu with the Nimo pack.
    >>
    >> "But why am I telling this to a confused old man that thinks
    >> he's communicating with his deceased Great-Aunt Rose; by means
    >> of a toaster-oven?"

    > http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/visuals/rtmagt01.jpg

    French breakfast radishes. Mmm, nummmies.
    Greg M, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Oz

    gangle Guest

    "Greg M" wrote

    http://www.nfm.co.uk/site_images/soffers/products/photo_S_1_1036503093.jpg
    gangle, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Oz

    Mad Ad Guest

    but thats just for avi codecs, what about others like .mov and all the rest?

    Mad Ad, Sep 23, 2003