Video Codec

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GJ, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. GJ

    GJ Guest

    I have a CD with some videos that will play sound but no picture. I
    know nothing of CODECS. ANy help much appreciated. I have tried WMP,
    Winamp, Medai Player Classic.

    In Media Player Classic I get the following displayed:

    Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph,
    you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system.

    The following pins failed to find a connectable filter:

    Stream 0
    AVI Splitter

    Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: Unknown GUID Name {44495658-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo {05589F80-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 0
    bTemporalCompression: 1
    lSampleSize: 1
    cbFormat: 88

    VIDEOINFOHEADER:
    rcSource: (0,0)-(0,0)
    rcTarget: (0,0)-(0,0)
    dwBitRate: 0
    dwBitErrorRate: 0
    AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

    BITMAPINFOHEADER:
    biSize: 40
    biWidth: 640
    biHeight: 352
    biPlanes: 1
    biBitCount: 24
    biCompression: XVID
    biSizeImage: 675840
    biXPelsPerMeter: 0
    biYPelsPerMeter: 0
    biYPelsPerMeter: 0
    biClrUsed: 0
    biClrImportant: 0

    TIA

    GJ

    GJ, Oct 18, 2006

  2. GJ

    iascoot Guest

    since the video is xvid, some people like to use ac3filter with that..
    download at:

    http://ac3filter.net/

    iascoot, Oct 18, 2006

  3. GJ

    Chris Lim Guest

    GJ wrote:
    > I have a CD with some videos that will play sound but no picture. I
    > know nothing of CODECS. ANy help much appreciated. I have tried WMP,
    > Winamp, Medai Player Classic.

    Try downloading ffdshow, this supports most formats:

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

    Once installed it will automatically be used by Media Player if needed.

    Chris Lim, Oct 18, 2006
  4. GJ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in news:1161145960.391744.97840
    @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > inamp, Medai Player Classic.
    >
    > Try downloading ffdshow, this supports most formats:
    >
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
    >
    > Once installed it will automatically be used by Media Player if needed.

    I second FFDShow.
    Stay away form all in one codec packs.

    Look into the G-Spot tool to find out what codec you might need for a file
    if it does not work.

    Too many codecs can break windows and they are not easy to uninstall. Easy
    to install and hard to get out, so be careful.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 18, 2006
  5. GJ

    GraB Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 21:10:45 -0700, "GJ" <> wrote:

    >I have a CD with some videos that will play sound but no picture. I
    >know nothing of CODECS. ANy help much appreciated. I have tried WMP,
    >Winamp, Medai Player Classic.
    >
    >In Media Player Classic I get the following displayed:
    >
    >Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph,
    >you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system.
    >
    >The following pins failed to find a connectable filter:

    AVIcodec will tell you what codec the video clip requires.

    GraB, Oct 18, 2006
  6. GJ

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C, Oct 19, 2006
  7. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Thanks all. I had a look at your recommendations but then downloaded
    VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org

    I got the link when searching info and user reviews on ffdshow.

    GJ, Oct 19, 2006