Video Clips Playback Problem (Sony DVD Handicam)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter D, May 24, 2007.

  1. Peter D

    Peter D Guest

    Hi to all

    Have an interesting or should I say puzzling problem. I have a Sony DVD
    Handicam and I can record and view the clips on the camera and on my pc still
    via the camera. When I download them to the hard drive (using the supplied
    Sony picture package software) and try and play them I receive an Unknown
    Error message through Windows Media Player and a General Error using
    RealPlayer.

    I have not used the camera for some months but I have not had this issue
    before. The other weird thing is that I can play the same clips on other
    computers via a flash drive or when burnt to a cd without any problems??

    I am having the same problem with any file that has been recorded and
    downloaded with this camera even though it may be 12 months old. All of my
    other movie files, mp3s whatever play without incident.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Peter D, May 24, 2007

  2. Peter D

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Peter D wrote:
    > Hi to all
    >
    > Have an interesting or should I say puzzling problem. I have a Sony DVD
    > Handicam and I can record and view the clips on the camera and on my pc still
    > via the camera. When I download them to the hard drive (using the supplied
    > Sony picture package software) and try and play them I receive an Unknown
    > Error message through Windows Media Player and a General Error using
    > RealPlayer.
    >
    > I have not used the camera for some months but I have not had this issue
    > before. The other weird thing is that I can play the same clips on other
    > computers via a flash drive or when burnt to a cd without any problems??
    >
    > I am having the same problem with any file that has been recorded and
    > downloaded with this camera even though it may be 12 months old. All of my
    > other movie files, mp3s whatever play without incident.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    You might want to post this question in rec.video.dvd.tech

    I too use a Sony DVD Handicam, but I do not use the 'picture package' s/w.

    Are you running windowsmediaplayer 11 under Windows XP, sp2?

    Rick Merrill, May 24, 2007

  3. Peter D

    Kenny Guest

    I too have a Sony Handicam but didn't even install the Sony software.
    I can capture directly to Movie Maker and output in various formats but not
    to DVD, you'll need 3rd party software for that. I use Ulead's DVD Movie
    Factory or Adobe Premiere Elements.
    Good group for Movie Maker here:

    Kenny

    Kenny, May 24, 2007