    tried it with a cd of AVI files I have
    but it spit it out.

    Thanks
    Bill Moody, Oct 23, 2003

  2. "Bill Moody" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi
    >
    > I just bought a GE dvd player. It says
    > it will play video cd's. Does anyone
    > know what they mean by that. I
    > tried it with a cd of AVI files I have
    > but it spit it out.

    There is an actual VCD format. It's a pre-DVD idea that was
    very popular in Asia, but not so much in North America. To get
    an actual VCD, which will play in your player, you can buy them
    pre-pressed, or visit www.vcdhelp.com for info on burning your own.

    If you go the latter route, be sure to verify the compatibility
    of your CD blanks to the GE Player.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Bill Moody

    Bill Moody Guest

    Thanks, so much for movies, except it says it plays WMF. Bill

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns941CE83BCC8AClinkvb06@204.186.201.17...

    Bill Moody, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Bill Moody wrote:
    > Thanks, so much for movies, except it says it plays WMF. Bill

    Actually VCD isn't too shabby of a format. Obviously it is nowhere near
    the quality of DVD, but it's great for concert bootlegs, etc. Prior to
    DVD-Recorders, VCD was the best way of getting video bootlegs because
    they don't lose quality when they're duplicated like VHS does.

    Adios,
    ~Nick
    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 23, 2003
  5. >I just bought a GE dvd player. It says
    >it will play video cd's. Does anyone
    >know what they mean by that. I
    >tried it with a cd of AVI files I have
    >but it spit it out.

    You said in a later post that this player can also play Windows Media Files.

    VCD is a format addition to CD redbook which allows the playback of
    approximately 70 minutes of MPEG video of a particular resolution for both
    sound and video. As for the media files, read the player instructions to see
    how the disc is supposed to be written for it to be readable on your DVD
    player.

    For instance, the player may require a disc that is written in ISO 9660 level
    1, mode 1 format with no Joliet and no relaxed extensions on a disc that has
    been finalized and its session closed. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 23, 2003