Video cards again

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Guest

I know there are the Radeon and nVidia camps out there. But can anyone offer an
    opinion on a Radeon 9600 256Mb video card? Seems to be the one I keep going back
    to look at, as it fits my budget. I don't do much gaming, and if I do any, it's
    flight simulators, Falcon 4.0 or MS Flight Sim. Most of the rest of my work is
    on websites. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. But it doesn't
    have a digital output and I need/want a card with a DVI hookup for my new LCD
    monitor. Just looking for opinions. Also, any idea what the XT and SE after some
    of the same cards means? Thanks.

, Jul 7, 2005
    1. Advertising

2. FML Guest

wrote:
    > I know there are the Radeon and nVidia camps out there. But can anyone offer an
    > opinion on a Radeon 9600 256Mb video card? Seems to be the one I keep going back
    > to look at, as it fits my budget. I don't do much gaming, and if I do any, it's
    > flight simulators, Falcon 4.0 or MS Flight Sim. Most of the rest of my work is
    > on websites. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. But it doesn't
    > have a digital output and I need/want a card with a DVI hookup for my new LCD
    > monitor. Just looking for opinions. Also, any idea what the XT and SE after some
    > of the same cards means? Thanks.
    >

The 9600 Series is an excellent card for the use you describe and then
    some. Coupled with a good system it is capable of running all but the
    most demanding games (and you can even run those by turning off a few
    bells and whistles).

FML, Jul 7, 2005
    1. Advertising

3. Guest

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:52:32 -0500, FML <> wrote:

> wrote:
    >> I know there are the Radeon and nVidia camps out there. But can anyone offer an
    >> opinion on a Radeon 9600 256Mb video card? Seems to be the one I keep going back
    >> to look at, as it fits my budget. I don't do much gaming, and if I do any, it's
    >> flight simulators, Falcon 4.0 or MS Flight Sim. Most of the rest of my work is
    >> on websites. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. But it doesn't
    >> have a digital output and I need/want a card with a DVI hookup for my new LCD
    >> monitor. Just looking for opinions. Also, any idea what the XT and SE after some
    >> of the same cards means? Thanks.
    >>

>The 9600 Series is an excellent card for the use you describe and then
    >some. Coupled with a good system it is capable of running all but the
    >most demanding games (and you can even run those by turning off a few
    >bells and whistles).

Well, as far as the system, ( and I should have mentioned this in my original
    post) I'm running a P4 3.2 Ghz processor, with 1Gb RAM, which will be 2Gb in a
    few days, 320Gb S-ATA storage space, Windows XP Pro and a 19" LCD monitor. I
    guess the system is up to it?

, Jul 7, 2005
  4. FML Guest

wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:52:32 -0500, FML <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I know there are the Radeon and nVidia camps out there. But can anyone offer an
    >>>opinion on a Radeon 9600 256Mb video card? Seems to be the one I keep going back
    >>>to look at, as it fits my budget. I don't do much gaming, and if I do any, it's
    >>>flight simulators, Falcon 4.0 or MS Flight Sim. Most of the rest of my work is
    >>>on websites. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. But it doesn't
    >>>have a digital output and I need/want a card with a DVI hookup for my new LCD
    >>>monitor. Just looking for opinions. Also, any idea what the XT and SE after some
    >>>of the same cards means? Thanks.
    >>>

>>
    >>The 9600 Series is an excellent card for the use you describe and then
    >>some. Coupled with a good system it is capable of running all but the
    >>most demanding games (and you can even run those by turning off a few
    >>bells and whistles).

>
    >
    > Well, as far as the system, ( and I should have mentioned this in my original
    > post) I'm running a P4 3.2 Ghz processor, with 1Gb RAM, which will be 2Gb in a
    > few days, 320Gb S-ATA storage space, Windows XP Pro and a 19" LCD monitor. I
    > guess the system is up to it?
    >

Yeah, I'd say so. I think you'll be very happy with the 9600. You're
    gonna love the DVI output.

FML, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Guest

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:05:07 -0500, FML <> wrote:

> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:52:32 -0500, FML <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I know there are the Radeon and nVidia camps out there. But can anyone offer an
    >>>>opinion on a Radeon 9600 256Mb video card? Seems to be the one I keep going back
    >>>>to look at, as it fits my budget. I don't do much gaming, and if I do any, it's
    >>>>flight simulators, Falcon 4.0 or MS Flight Sim. Most of the rest of my work is
    >>>>on websites. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. But it doesn't
    >>>>have a digital output and I need/want a card with a DVI hookup for my new LCD
    >>>>monitor. Just looking for opinions. Also, any idea what the XT and SE after some
    >>>>of the same cards means? Thanks.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>The 9600 Series is an excellent card for the use you describe and then
    >>>some. Coupled with a good system it is capable of running all but the
    >>>most demanding games (and you can even run those by turning off a few
    >>>bells and whistles).

>>
    >>
    >> Well, as far as the system, ( and I should have mentioned this in my original
    >> post) I'm running a P4 3.2 Ghz processor, with 1Gb RAM, which will be 2Gb in a
    >> few days, 320Gb S-ATA storage space, Windows XP Pro and a 19" LCD monitor. I
    >> guess the system is up to it?
    >>

>Yeah, I'd say so. I think you'll be very happy with the 9600. You're
    >gonna love the DVI output.

Thanks.

, Jul 7, 2005
    1. Advertising