Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Cameron, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    G'day.
    It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
    Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released ;-)

    Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
    :-(

    I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
    vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.

    It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
    a Radeon 9xxx.

    I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
    (I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
    guess I'm looking at around $300?

    Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
    cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
    H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
    means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
    nVidia to get the best out of the cards.

    Any opinions?

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Adam Cameron

    Lebowski Guest

    Radeon 9600 Pro!

    My ti4200 is playing the Deus Ex 2 demo and Max Payne 2 demo sweet (though
    MP2 is a DX8.1 game), but the Radeon 9600 Pro would be the best bang for the
    buck right now, and around the $300 mark, can't go wrong.

    Lebowski, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Adam Cameron

    jfwilson Guest

    > G'day.
    > It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
    > Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released ;-)
    >
    > Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
    > :-(
    >
    > I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
    > vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.
    >
    > It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
    > a Radeon 9xxx.
    >
    > I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
    > (I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
    > guess I'm looking at around $300?
    >
    > Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
    > cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
    > H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
    > means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
    > nVidia to get the best out of the cards.
    >
    > Any opinions?

    This may help a little:
    http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/7156.html

    jfwilson, Dec 2, 2003
  4. On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:12:14 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> G'day.
    >> It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
    >> Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released ;-)
    >>
    >> Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
    >> :-(
    >>
    >> I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
    >> vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.
    >>
    >> It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
    >> a Radeon 9xxx.

    GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..

    You need a Geforce FX card for that..

    Gregory Parker, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Adam Cameron

    jfwilson Guest

    "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message

    > GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
    >
    > You need a Geforce FX card for that..

    Just how big a deal is dx9?
    When you run a game that actually uses it with
    a dx9 capable card how noticeable will be the difference?

    jfwilson, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
    >You need a Geforce FX card for that..

    Sorry, yes. I was citing a website that described the FXs as a part
    of the GeForce4 stable. I *meant* GeForce FX :)

    (told you I was ignorant!)

    So that being the case, ignore the GeForce4 comment, and assume I
    meant GeForce FX.. Opinions?

    To be honest, everything I've had recommended at me (this thread,
    elsewhere) says "Radeon". Should I even bother considering GeForce
    cards?

    Cheers for bearing with me.

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, Dec 2, 2003
  7. On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:02:47 +1300, Adam Cameron <>
    wrote:

    >>GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
    >>You need a Geforce FX card for that..

    >Sorry, yes. I was citing a website that described the FXs as a part
    >of the GeForce4 stable. I *meant* GeForce FX :)
    >
    >(told you I was ignorant!)
    >
    >So that being the case, ignore the GeForce4 comment, and assume I
    >meant GeForce FX.. Opinions?
    >
    >To be honest, everything I've had recommended at me (this thread,
    >elsewhere) says "Radeon". Should I even bother considering GeForce
    >cards?
    >
    >Cheers for bearing with me.
    >
    >Adam

    It seems that the ATI cards have a far better support for DX9, as MS used the
    some of the ATI recommendations and not the Nvidia ones..

    It seem from all the articles that I have read that the Nvidia are better
    cards and drivers, but have crap DX9 support.

    Gregory Parker, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Adam Cameron

    Lebowski Guest

    "jfwilson" <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

    > "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
    > >
    > > You need a Geforce FX card for that..

    > Just how big a deal is dx9?
    > When you run a game that actually uses it with
    > a dx9 capable card how noticeable will be the difference?

    Exactly. With my ti4200, GTA Vice City looks absolutely great, as does the
    Deus Ex 2 demo. You can still see realtime directional lighting and all
    sorts of cool eyecandy effects. Both of these games are "true DirectX 9
    games". It's all hype.

    The release of Half-Life 2 will be a telling point, but I'm keen to give it
    a spin on the ti4200 and try my luck. I guarantee it will still look great.
    A few anal gaming geeks will quibble over not seeing this and not seeing
    that, but they can go **** themselves or go see some daylight or real people
    :)

    Lebowski, Dec 3, 2003
  9. I had wicked stability problems with my radeon pro 9700.
    conflicts with everything and drivers are damn near
    impossible to upgrade under XP. Also a 400W PSU is pretty
    much a must.

    I just paid for an upgrade from that to a Standard 5900
    128MB GeForce FX and I have never been happier.

    >>> Adam Cameron<> 3/12/03 12:02:47

    a.m. >>>

    Andre Southgate, Dec 11, 2003