    according to devicce manager, it has a Nvidia GEforce FX 5200 on PCI bus 1.
    Im pretty sure this means its a pci bus for video (as opposed to agp). CAn
    I use a PCI Expressx16 card with this system or only PCI Express x1??? TIA

    nyc kid, Jul 30, 2007

  2. nyc kid

    Paul Guest

    nyc kid wrote:
    > Hi all. I want to upgrade my Dell DIm 4600's vid card. Currently,
    > according to devicce manager, it has a Nvidia GEforce FX 5200 on PCI bus 1.
    > Im pretty sure this means its a pci bus for video (as opposed to agp). CAn
    > I use a PCI Expressx16 card with this system or only PCI Express x1??? TIA

    It has got an AGP connector.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/techov10.jpg

    More info here.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/specs.htm

    See "Technical Overview"
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/index.htm

    The chipset is 865PE. The AGP slot is up to 8X and should be able
    to use just about any recent AGP card if you want. About the only
    limitation, would be available 12V power and a suitable connector
    for the end of the video card. (In some cases, an adapter cable may
    be needed.)

    You cannot use a PCI Express x16 card, as that slot type does not
    exist on the board.

    For examples of more powerful video cards, sort this list by price,
    then scroll down near the end. You can find ATI X1950 AGP series cards
    and there are also things like 7950GT AGP Nvidia cards. $260
    to $270 or so.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...80048 1069609639&Configurator=&Subcategory=48

    If you are interested in spending that kind of money (on something
    AGP and probably going to stay in that computer), reply back with
    what is printed on the side of your supply. I may be able to
    guess at whether the PSU has enough power or not, depending
    on what you want to buy. Of particular interest are things
    like 12V @ xx amps printed on the supply label - also the processor
    type would be good to know (e.g. 3GHz Prescott).

    For example, the 7950GT listed here, runs at about 60W in 3D mode.
    The FX5200 you are currently using, would be 20W to 30W or so.
    The new card would mean 30W or 40W more power, which isn't too
    bad.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7950gt_3.html

    The X1950 Pro near the bottom of this page, is about 66W.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/x1950pro-gf7900gs_6.html

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 30, 2007

  3. nyc kid

    Travis McGee Guest

    Say Paul, can you recommend one for my rig?

    It's got a Roswill PSU, 450 W, plenty of leads. AMD 3000+ Barton, 1 gig of
    crucial.

    Mobo is MSI 6570E AGP 8x.
    nvidea NfORCE2 ssp/nForce2 Ultra 400/nForce2 IGP 400mhz FSB.

    Budget under $100, quiet as possible.

    Thanks!

    Travis McGee, Jul 30, 2007
  4. nyc kid

    Paul Guest

    Travis McGee wrote:
    > Say Paul, can you recommend one for my rig?
    >
    > It's got a Roswill PSU, 450 W, plenty of leads. AMD 3000+ Barton, 1 gig of
    > crucial.
    >
    > Mobo is MSI 6570E AGP 8x.
    > nvidea NfORCE2 ssp/nForce2 Ultra 400/nForce2 IGP 400mhz FSB.
    >
    > Budget under $100, quiet as possible.
    >
    > Thanks!

    On Newegg, there are 38 Rosewill supplies.

    If it is a Rosewill like this one, it is spec'ed like an "arc welder".
    5V @ 45A is a lot of current if you need it.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182015

    12V2 would power the processor. I see a 2x2 ATX12V connector on
    the motherboard shown here, so that would come from 12V2.

    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/mb_image/MS-6570E-030.jpg

    12V1 is where the majority of a modern video card's power would
    come from. The spec is 12V1 @ 17A. Which is enough to run a
    pretty big video card. A 70W video card wouldn't be a problem.
    (Some current is used by disk drives and fans and the like,
    but there are still a lot of amps left.)

    This one is $99 after rebate, and in terms of power draw,
    it isn't too bad. (You could probably run two or three of
    these.) It should run cooler than the more expensive
    ATI 1950Pro.

    XFX PVT73AUDF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150233

    Note that there will be some DX-10 AGP cards. Eventually...
    The only problem with them, is the DX-10 games will be
    so resource hungry, no AGP DX-10 card will be able to play
    them worth a damn :) It'll be an "AGP slide show".

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 30, 2007