    A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging, other
    than that it's plenty good enough for me.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 3, 2007

  2. Peter Huebner

    XPD Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I am thinking that I may upgrade my current Barton system some time
    > towards the
    > end of the year. Now here's what I am scratching my head about: would it
    > be a
    > better idea to get a couple of nvidia 8500 cards at ~150 ea. and sli
    > them -
    > with the added attraction of having the option of buying silent ones
    > without
    > fan - or would a single card at $350-400 out-perform these?
    > Not prepared to throw $1000 at bleeding edge stuff, so don't even suggest
    > an
    > 8800 :)
    >
    > I've no idea, in the general scheme of things, how a GeForce 8500 would
    > stack
    > up against my current Radeon 9600xt even - you don't see these cards
    > compared.
    > A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging,
    > other
    > than that it's plenty good enough for me.

    May be of some assistance.... if not, then the guys in the forums are pretty
    onto it and would give you a straight answer :)

    http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77334
    XPD, Jun 3, 2007

  3. In article <f3tfnt$puv$>, says...

    > May be of some assistance.... if not, then the guys in the forums are pretty
    > onto it and would give you a straight answer :)
    >
    > http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77334

    Had a look, they have interesting things to say on different cards, but those
    didn't answer my question re: sli vs. single card. But the link gave me an
    idea: I headed over to the Gameplanet forums where I can get instant posting
    access and put the question there. Consensus was: not feasible. Apparently
    minor cards like the 8500 don't come close, and sli doesn't do much to help
    them along. Now I know :)

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 3, 2007
  4. Peter Huebner

    cgimofo Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I've no idea, in the general scheme of things, how a GeForce 8500 would stack
    > up against my current Radeon 9600xt even - you don't see these cards compared.
    > A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging, other
    > than that it's plenty good enough for me.

    i have a silent graphics card and am keeping it 4eva :) its an XFX
    7950GT w/512MB... $500 inc. i think about as grunty as you can get for
    silent cooling? beats my old MSI 7800GTX which was horrendously noisy
    when it got hot...
    cgimofo, Jun 4, 2007