Video card recommendations / USB capture help please.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by me, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I'm considering getting a new video card,my current one is an ATI Radeon
    9000.
    While it's not a bad card,it dosent have PAL capturing capability.I want one
    that can capture PAL as well as NTSC,as i do a lot of capturing of PAL
    programmes from my old VHS PAL tapes.
    This one,the 9000,will capture in NTSC only,and although it will accept and
    display a PAL signal quite happily on my monitor,it just wont record it.Work
    that one out !!
    I know they are on sale here in the US,but i dont know what to go for.

    I need a card that is as good as or better than the 9000,and is AGP.It
    dosent have to be ATI,but as long as it can record in PAL,then i am open to
    suggestions.

    I have been fiddling with the ADS DVD Xpress USB capture device,which
    bypasses the video card's limited capturing ability,but i am having a bitch
    of a time with the software,(CapWiz,and Ulead DVD MovieFactory3)which came
    with it,they keep locking up,and its just a nightmare.

    I have managed to capture some programmes using it,but 90% of the time the
    software locks up and i end up having to reboot.
    If i could find some decent,simple software that will recognise my USB
    capture device,then i would carry on that way anbd forget about the new
    videocard,but practically all the software i try wont recognise the USB
    device.

    thanks for any advice

    Andrew

    me, Dec 12, 2004