    remove the video card from the 760n and install it in the 753n (There is an
    open PCI slot), will it overide the built in video hardware, and work?

    ConRad

    ConwayRadis, Oct 4, 2011

  2. "ConwayRadis" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9F747DAAE904DoNOTcall@69.16.186.52...
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have a question about a video card issue. I have a HP Pavilion 753n
    > computer with the video card built into the motherboard. The display on
    > the monitor from this computer is all messed up, it is rolling across the
    > screen, and srunk to a small size. It is not the monitor, because I
    > connected it to another computer, and it worked just fine. I am thinking
    > something with the built in video card hardware is malfunctioning.
    >
    > I also have another HP Pavilion 760n computer that I am using for parts.
    > It has a PCI video card that I can remove and use. My question is, if I
    > remove the video card from the 760n and install it in the 753n (There is
    > an
    > open PCI slot), will it overide the built in video hardware, and work?
    >
    > ConRad

    A video card mounted to a PCI slot does not over ride the onboard video, you
    just connect your device to the PCI card instead of the onboard video. So,
    yes, if the PCI card works, then your plan should also work.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 4, 2011

  3. Jeff Strickland embroidered on the monitor :
    > "ConwayRadis" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello Everyone,
    >>
    >> I have a question about a video card issue. I have a HP Pavilion 753n
    >> computer with the video card built into the motherboard. The display on
    >> the monitor from this computer is all messed up, it is rolling across the
    >> screen, and srunk to a small size. It is not the monitor, because I
    >> connected it to another computer, and it worked just fine. I am thinking
    >> something with the built in video card hardware is malfunctioning.
    >>
    >> I also have another HP Pavilion 760n computer that I am using for parts.
    >> It has a PCI video card that I can remove and use. My question is, if I
    >> remove the video card from the 760n and install it in the 753n (There is an
    >> open PCI slot), will it overide the built in video hardware, and work?
    >>
    >> ConRad
    >>

    > A video card mounted to a PCI slot does not over ride the onboard video, you
    > just connect your device to the PCI card instead of the onboard video. So,
    > yes, if the PCI card works, then your plan should also work.

    If it doesn't work directly, you may have to disable the onboard
    graphics, but try it directly first.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    James D Andrews, Oct 4, 2011
  4. ConwayRadis

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Jeff Strickland embroidered on the monitor :
    >> "ConwayRadis" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello Everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I have a question about a video card issue. I have a HP Pavilion 753n
    >>> computer with the video card built into the motherboard. The display on
    >>> the monitor from this computer is all messed up, it is rolling across
    >>> the
    >>> screen, and srunk to a small size. It is not the monitor, because I
    >>> connected it to another computer, and it worked just fine. I am
    >>> thinking
    >>> something with the built in video card hardware is malfunctioning.
    >>>
    >>> I also have another HP Pavilion 760n computer that I am using for parts.
    >>> It has a PCI video card that I can remove and use. My question is,
    >>> if I
    >>> remove the video card from the 760n and install it in the 753n (There
    >>> is an
    >>> open PCI slot), will it overide the built in video hardware, and work?
    >>>
    >>> ConRad
    >>>

    >> A video card mounted to a PCI slot does not over ride the onboard
    >> video, you just connect your device to the PCI card instead of the
    >> onboard video. So, yes, if the PCI card works, then your plan should
    >> also work.

    > If it doesn't work directly, you may have to disable the onboard
    > graphics, but try it directly first.

    There is a BIOS setting, to choose graphic device priority, and by using that
    and setting it to "PCI" before installing the card, you might be
    able to get the BIOS screen to appear on the PCI card. Of course,
    with the current screwed up graphics, there isn't much chance of
    doing that blind. If there was a detailed user manual for the motherboard,
    you might be able to work out a keyboard sequence to change the BIOS
    setting, but it would be pretty difficult to get it right on the
    first try.

    You might still be able to get into Windows, but again, might have trouble
    installing a driver for the PCI card, disabling the old graphics in
    Device Manager and so on. No guarantees of a clear clean screen to
    look at.

    And don't even think about "clearing CMOS" :) I've run into a few people,
    who've managed to lose control of a "half-blind" PC by doing that. That
    would be an absolute last resort, when you'd exhausted all other possibilities.
    The next step after that, would be replacing the motherboard, to get the
    built-in graphics working again.

    Some graphics distortions, are caused by a bad VESA mode. A couple Matrox
    video cards had a problem like that. The BIOS (or the OS), may request
    a VESA mode, causing the corrupt config to drive the screen. Then the
    question would be, where is the VESA code stored in the PC ? It could be
    in the BIOS chip on an integrated graphics motherboard, in which case,
    re-flashing the BIOS might fix it. But like the "clear CMOS" idea, this
    would be the last thing to try before tossing the motherboard in the landfill.
    The thing is, the BIOS is protected by multiple checksums, and if any info
    in there was corrupted, you would be hearing beeping or seeing error messages
    reporting a corruption. On the Matrox cards, it was simple bad design, rather
    than broken hardware. But it illustrated how you could get goofy graphics
    (multiple tiny screen images on the monitor). With a plug in video card,
    the VESA code would be stored in a flash chip on the video card.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2011
  5. ConwayRadis

    Chas Guest

    I have a program called SIW...'special information Windows'. it was
    freeware...I had a computer which had a onboard video that did not work and
    'Device Manager' said there were no drivers installed for it and none in
    'rollback'. I purchased a PCI video card to solve my problem...then just 2
    weeks ago I ran 'SIW' and it identifed the onboard video manufacturere (HP
    SFF computer), BroadCom....I went to that site and sure enough there was a
    driver there...so I d/l'ed the driver and in Device Manager I installed it
    and now I don't need the PCI video card. Hope this helps.

    Chas, Nov 28, 2011
  6. ConwayRadis

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    On 11/28/2011 2:46 AM, Chas wrote:
    > I have a program called SIW...'special information Windows'. it was
    > freeware...I had a computer which had a onboard video that did not work and
    > 'Device Manager' said there were no drivers installed for it and none in
    > 'rollback'. I purchased a PCI video card to solve my problem...then just 2
    > weeks ago I ran 'SIW' and it identifed the onboard video manufacturere (HP
    > SFF computer), BroadCom....I went to that site and sure enough there was a
    > driver there...so I d/l'ed the driver and in Device Manager I installed it
    > and now I don't need the PCI video card. Hope this helps.

    What is the question? If you want to pull new card ... go ahead. If you
    get no video then put it back in.
    Tee (now I am confused) jay

    TeeJay1952, Nov 28, 2011
  7. ConwayRadis

    VanguardLH Guest

    Chas wrote:

    > I have a program called SIW...'special information Windows'. it was
    > freeware...I had a computer which had a onboard video that did not work and
    > 'Device Manager' said there were no drivers installed for it and none in
    > 'rollback'. I purchased a PCI video card to solve my problem...then just 2
    > weeks ago I ran 'SIW' and it identifed the onboard video manufacturere (HP
    > SFF computer), BroadCom....I went to that site and sure enough there was a
    > driver there...so I d/l'ed the driver and in Device Manager I installed it
    > and now I don't need the PCI video card. Hope this helps.

    Hope this helps with what? For whom? You mention SIW but it isn't
    germaine to your hardware problem so you sidetrack your topic at its
    start. That you could see anything on the monitor meant the onboard
    video was working but you didn't bother to get the correct drivers for
    it to support better video modes (higher resolution, greater color
    depth). You got a PCI video card for a problem easily correct by
    installing the video driver for the onboard video controller. Then you
    mention, finally, that using SIW showed you which onboard video
    controller you had. Um, how is it you don't know what is the brand of
    the motherboard inside your computer? Just looking would've told you.
    Then you mention getting a BroadCom driver. That has nothing to do with
    video. Broadcom is for network devices. What you actually got from HP
    was their chipset driver package that provides support for many devices
    on the motherboard - something you should've done in the first place
    before wasting money on a PCI video card since the onboard video was
    proven to be already working (because you could see the screen before
    you ever got the PCI video card).

    Your story doesn't help anyone unless they want to throw away money on
    an unnecessary hardware solution or for those unwilling to look inside
    to see what hardware they have to figure out where to find drivers to
    support it beyond the rudimentary drivers bundled in Windows.

    You would've done much better asking for help when the onboard video
    (which was working) wouldn't support the resolution or depth that you
    wanted. Of course, anyone responding that asked you for the brand and
    model of your motherboard wouldn't have been answered since you waited
    to use software inside of just looking inside. If it was a laptop
    inside of a desktop (which means you didn't want to open the laptop's
    case) then just divulging the brand and model of the laptop would've
    gotten replies telling you to go to the maker's web site to get the
    chipset driver package for it; however, then the question would've arose
    of why the pre-built laptop with the pre-installed OS didn't have the
    correct drivers from whomever built the thing (which indicates you
    flattened the computer to rebuild it yourself but forgot or didn't know
    how to do a fresh install of the OS with all the drivers needed to
    support the hardware).

    Nope, your post doesn't help.

    VanguardLH, Nov 29, 2011