Video Card Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyle :o\), Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    I have an older GeForce2 MX video card with 32MB of memory and considering a
    decent upgrade. Typically I buy from www.newegg.com and have only had one
    issue with them, an HDD that didn't function after 2 hours of use. So I
    went to their website and began looking at some under $100. But there's
    over 200 cards and quite honestly I don't know much about video cards!

    What brands should I look at more than others? Any features I should be
    thinking about? Anything special I should shy away from?

    I have a P4 at 2.4 Ghz with 1.25 GB of RAM, two 80GB Western Digital drives
    and do some limited graphic design from home using Corel 10 and Photoshop 7.
    Most of what I do is, aside from graphics, is simple tasks such as
    newsgroups, e-mail, etc. But I am considering some newer PC games so I'm
    guessing I'd want to get something that works with most of the major game
    manufacturers minimums or better. As of now I am still using a CRT monitor
    but my next purchase will probably be a flat-panel for Christmas or sooner
    .... if that makes a deal.

    Any advice and help is greatly appreciated as I want to find the best for
    under $100 and really not sure what direction(s) I want to go.

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    Reply address is fake. Don't ask for the real one, a troll named Lookout
    sent enough spam and viruses that I shut it down.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0609-2, 03/02/2006
    Tested on: 3/2/2006 7:52:36 PM

    Kyle :o\), Mar 3, 2006

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Kyle :eek:) spewed forth:
    > I have an older GeForce2 MX video card with 32MB of memory and
    > considering a decent upgrade. Typically I buy from www.newegg.com
    > and have only had one issue with them, an HDD that didn't function
    > after 2 hours of use. So I went to their website and began looking
    > at some under $100. But there's over 200 cards and quite honestly I
    > don't know much about video cards!
    > What brands should I look at more than others? Any features I should
    > be thinking about? Anything special I should shy away from?
    >
    > I have a P4 at 2.4 Ghz with 1.25 GB of RAM, two 80GB Western Digital
    > drives and do some limited graphic design from home using Corel 10
    > and Photoshop 7. Most of what I do is, aside from graphics, is simple
    > tasks such as newsgroups, e-mail, etc. But I am considering some
    > newer PC games so I'm guessing I'd want to get something that works
    > with most of the major game manufacturers minimums or better. As of
    > now I am still using a CRT monitor but my next purchase will probably
    > be a flat-panel for Christmas or sooner ... if that makes a deal.
    >
    > Any advice and help is greatly appreciated as I want to find the best
    > for under $100 and really not sure what direction(s) I want to go.

    Two things come to mind.

    First, many people prefer a CRT for photo editing - something about color
    matching being better than LCDs. Second, be sure you get one that is on the
    list of adapters that MS recommends for Vista so you don't want to change
    cards again if/when you upgrade to Vista.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/entpguid.mspx#EBAA

    Toolman Tim, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Kyle :o\)

    doS Guest

    everything now will be supported...

    doS, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Supported, yes, but not necessarily at the best level. This is an excerpt
    from the MS site (link below):

    "One important thing to keep in mind as youre thinking about the graphics
    capability of your new system is that while Windows Vista will have a new
    and graphics-intensive look, it will also be able to automatically and
    gracefully degrade down to the current graphics look of Microsoft Windows
    XP.
    The new graphics capabilities in Windows Vista will require support for
    Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), if you want to take full advantage of
    all the new and cool stuff, such as the new AERO Glass look."

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistahardware.mspx#EFAA

    In news:YcNNf.1391$,
    doS spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Kyle :o\)

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Mine is on the list, thanks for that link.

    pcbutts1, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    In news:tVMNf.140$, Toolman Tim <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > Two things come to mind.
    >
    > First, many people prefer a CRT for photo editing - something about
    > color matching being better than LCDs. Second, be sure you get one
    > that is on the list of adapters that MS recommends for Vista so you
    > don't want to change cards again if/when you upgrade to Vista.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/entpguid.mspx#EBAA

    Wow Tim, something to think about for sure! Thank you! Going to check that
    out in GREAT detail as I get some ideas of what to look for! So any actual
    suggestions for makers?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0609-2, 03/02/2006
    Tested on: 3/2/2006 9:37:07 PM

    Kyle :o\), Mar 3, 2006
  7. Kyle :o\)

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Kyle :eek:) spewed forth:
    > In news:tVMNf.140$, Toolman Tim
    > <> first attempted to communicate with pen,
    > but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain
    > washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the
    > cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> Two things come to mind.
    >>
    >> First, many people prefer a CRT for photo editing - something about
    >> color matching being better than LCDs. Second, be sure you get one
    >> that is on the list of adapters that MS recommends for Vista so you
    >> don't want to change cards again if/when you upgrade to Vista.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/entpguid.mspx#EBAA

    > Wow Tim, something to think about for sure! Thank you! Going to
    > check that out in GREAT detail as I get some ideas of what to look
    > for! So any actual suggestions for makers?

    Not really. The ATI, nVidia, Intel chipsets are used by many, many
    manufacturers with different configurations. Some have TV capture built on
    the card, some don't. Some have more memory (or faster) than others.
    Basically it comes down to what you want it to do, as well as what you can
    afford to pay. If you are playing serious games, spend all you can.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    In news:BcONf.238$, Toolman Tim <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > Not really. The ATI, nVidia, Intel chipsets are used by many, many
    > manufacturers with different configurations. Some have TV capture
    > built on the card, some don't. Some have more memory (or faster) than
    > others. Basically it comes down to what you want it to do, as well as
    > what you can afford to pay. If you are playing serious games, spend
    > all you can.

    TV capture, eh? I've been thinking about getting into that area, but have
    no clue what's involved. I've seen some really good caps ... and some
    really bad ones! Would obviously like something good ;-)

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0609-2, 03/02/2006
    Tested on: 3/2/2006 10:00:44 PM

    Kyle :o\), Mar 3, 2006
  9. Kyle :o\)

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Kyle :eek:) spewed forth:
    > In news:BcONf.238$, Toolman Tim
    > <> first attempted to communicate with pen,
    > but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain
    > washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the
    > cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> Not really. The ATI, nVidia, Intel chipsets are used by many, many
    >> manufacturers with different configurations. Some have TV capture
    >> built on the card, some don't. Some have more memory (or faster) than
    >> others. Basically it comes down to what you want it to do, as well as
    >> what you can afford to pay. If you are playing serious games, spend
    >> all you can.

    > TV capture, eh? I've been thinking about getting into that area, but
    > have no clue what's involved. I've seen some really good caps ...
    > and some really bad ones! Would obviously like something good ;-)

    A lot of the captures on the web are intentionally kept to a low resolution
    to make it more easily distributed. But you're right - I bought a cheap card
    and it has never been much more than adequate.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 3, 2006