    speed file management up (i.e. Photoshop).
    I don't play games and I don't want to spend more than $100.

    Any ideas or comments?

    David R, Apr 18, 2004

  2. David R

    Don Guest

    Your card is fine as is. Unless you're a gamer, you only needs enough
    memory on the card for 4 bytes per display pixel, plus a little for
    overhead. At 1600 x 1200 that would be about 7-8 MB. Fast cards with lots
    of memory are only needed when you are dealing with motion and generating
    tens of frames per second. Your imagery is basically static.

    What you do need for files that large is more RAM, if your system will take
    it. With only 768 MB of RAM, there is probably about 500MB available for
    images in Photoshop after Windoze and Photoshop take up their own space.
    That's not much for 300MB files. As you edit the photos, that memory is
    rapidly used up, particularly if you create layers.

    My computer is a little faster (1.7 Ghz), but is limited to 1 GB max, which
    I have. I find it slows down considerably with files larger than about 150
    MB. Assuming that you have a 512 MB memory module and a 256 MB memory
    module, you could probably replace the 256 with another 512 for under $100.
    That would up your available memory (after Windoze and PS) by 50% or so.

    If you only have a single physical disk drive your speed could probably also
    benefit by adding another drive. Adobe recommends that the image scratch
    disk be on a separate drive from Windoze's paging file for maximum speed. I
    personally don't see much difference, but probably because I rarely handle
    files over 50 MB or so.

    Don

    Don, Apr 18, 2004

  3. David R

    Snowman Guest

    You may consider Matrox P650 card. matrox is a benchmark in desktop
    applications and has one of the sharpest image outputs out there. P650 has a
    10 bit gamma adjustable dac and can display 1 bilion colors. Also has dual
    monitor output, and is one of the best dual setups. It is Photoshop aware
    and will display master overlay on one screen while keeping all palletes and
    tools on other screen.

    Snowman, Apr 18, 2004
  4. David R

    Ray Fischer Guest

    David R <> wrote:
    >I'm looking for a new Video Card.
    >I currently have a P4 1.5, 768MB RAM, 32MB AGP.
    >I'm canning with my epson 3200 with medium format B&W to TIFF files.
    >My files are from 90MB to over 300MB.
    >I think that by replacing my video card with one that has 128MB will
    >speed file management up (i.e. Photoshop).

    You think wrong. Photoshop doesn't much care about what video card
    you use. But it does care very much about how much RAM you have.

    >I don't play games and I don't want to spend more than $100.
    >
    >Any ideas or comments?

    If I recall correctly, Photoshop likes three times the image size
    in available RAM. For the image, for undo, and for 'other'. If
    you're editing 256MB images then what you need is a lot of RAM.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Apr 18, 2004
  5. David R

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (David R) wrote in news:fcba1bc9.0404171800.1d8750e7
    @posting.google.com:

    > I think that by replacing my video card with one that has 128MB will
    > speed file management up (i.e. Photoshop).

    Those fancy video cards only work for 3D.

    To speed up your file management you'll either need to:

    1. Speed up your hard disk access by buying a fast drive or using RAID
    2. More RAM!
    3. Faster processor to decode the images
    4. Defrag your hard drive

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 18, 2004
  6. David R

    David R Guest

    Thanks for all the responces. I may now have to consider buying a
    whole new computer. Although my computer will go up to 2GB of RAM, it
    uses expensive RAMBUS. It would cost me over $700 to bring it up to
    2GB.

    David R, Apr 18, 2004
  7. David R

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Don" <> wrote:

    >If you only have a single physical disk drive your speed could probably also
    >benefit by adding another drive. Adobe recommends that the image scratch
    >disk be on a separate drive from Windoze's paging file for maximum speed. I
    >personally don't see much difference, but probably because I rarely handle
    >files over 50 MB or so.

    You're not going to get any direct paging from Photoshop; it marks all
    its memory as part of the "working set" and Windows does not swap any of
    the pages to the pagefile. If you set Photoshop to use most of your
    memory, however, it may force other things to page to disk to get the
    RAM. If Photoshop is not causing indirect disk paging, and nothing else
    is either, then it doesn't matter where the pagefile is in that
    particular instance, especially if you have a large minimum size set for
    it (if the minimum is too small, the file may need to be resized, even
    if no actual swapping is going on).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Apr 20, 2004
  8. David R

    Guest

    In message <ammgc.162807$Ig.41413@pd7tw2no>,
    "Snowman" <> wrote:

    >You may consider Matrox P650 card. matrox is a benchmark in desktop
    >applications and has one of the sharpest image outputs out there. P650 has a
    >10 bit gamma adjustable dac and can display 1 bilion colors. Also has dual
    >monitor output, and is one of the best dual setups. It is Photoshop aware
    >and will display master overlay on one screen while keeping all palletes and
    >tools on other screen.

    Does photoshop use the extra 2 bits per channel for display, or is it
    just used for color calibration?
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Apr 20, 2004