Video Card Problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Jul 7, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello,

    I was wondering if my video card, a power supply problem, or could it
    be the CMOS battery.

    I sometimes get a message "no signal". This particular video card has
    been replaced 2 x already by the manufacturer. They have given be two
    brand new cards for the replacement.

    If I turn off the computer and try to reboot it doesn't let me. If I
    wait for about 10 minutes and reboot my cmos settings are a little
    off. However, the date/time is fine.

    I tried swapping out the CMOS battery already, but I still get the
    same problem.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    John, Jul 7, 2009

  2. John <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if my video card, a power supply problem, or could it
    > be the CMOS battery.
    >
    > I sometimes get a message "no signal". This particular video card has
    > been replaced 2 x already by the manufacturer. They have given be two
    > brand new cards for the replacement.

    Well thats nice of them :)

    > If I turn off the computer and try to reboot it doesn't let me. If I
    > wait for about 10 minutes and reboot my cmos settings are a little
    > off. However, the date/time is fine.

    Which setting are off?

    > I tried swapping out the CMOS battery already, but I still get the
    > same problem.

    Good first diagnostic step.

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Try putting the card in a different slot if thats possible.

    I'd boot from a linux live cd and read the dmesg output for clues.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 7, 2009

  3. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:

    > I was wondering if my video card, a power supply problem, or could it
    > be the CMOS battery.
    >
    > I sometimes get a message "no signal".

    Presumably you mean you get that message from your LCD monitor under some
    undescribed sequence/conditions.

    >This particular video card has
    > been replaced 2 x already by the manufacturer. They have given be two
    > brand new cards for the replacement.

    Does that mean there was something wrong with the card each time which
    implies quality control problems with the card mfr; or does that mean
    you were doing inadequate troubleshooting during the warranty of the card
    and were somehow able to get an RMA from the mfr for a problem unrelated
    to the card?

    > If I turn off the computer and try to reboot it doesn't let me.

    Where 'let me' in this context means that using the front power switch on
    the computer doesn't work?

    > If I
    > wait for about 10 minutes and reboot my cmos settings are a little
    > off.

    Precisely which cmos settings change from one boot to the next?

    > However, the date/time is fine.

    My understanding is that some mobo's battery circuit sacrifices the
    time/clock before losing the CMOS nvram settings.

    > I tried swapping out the CMOS battery already, but I still get the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Did you build this system? How old is the mobo/build? When was the last
    time everything worked as it should? What is the history of this
    collection of problems?

    What is the mobo? Video card?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 7, 2009
  4. John

    John Guest

    >> If I turn off the computer and try to reboot it doesn't let me. If I
    >> wait for about 10 minutes and reboot my cmos settings are a little
    >> off. However, the date/time is fine.
    >>

    >Which setting are off?

    Usually it's the CPU settings. However, if I reboot a few times it
    goes back to the corrrect settings for the CPU.

    Do you think that the CPU is getting to hot?

    John, Jul 7, 2009
  5. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:

    >> Which setting are off?

    > Usually it's the CPU settings. However, if I reboot a few times it
    > goes back to the corrrect settings for the CPU.
    >
    > Do you think that the CPU is getting to hot?

    What is your mobo, cpu, & settings? Are you overclocking? Are you
    monitoring cpu temp?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 7, 2009
  6. John

    John Guest

    My CMOS shows that my AMD XP 2600 CPU is running at 145F is that too
    hot?

    John, Jul 7, 2009
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:47:34 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >
    >>> Which setting are off?

    >> Usually it's the CPU settings. However, if I reboot a few times it
    >> goes back to the corrrect settings for the CPU.
    >>
    >> Do you think that the CPU is getting to hot?

    >What is your mobo, cpu, & settings? Are you overclocking? Are you
    >monitoring cpu temp?

    I'm not overclocking and the mobo settings are correct for the AMD
    2600 processor. The temp in my CMOS shows 145 F.

    John, Jul 7, 2009
  8. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >>> Usually it's the CPU settings. However, if I reboot a few times it
    >>> goes back to the corrrect settings for the CPU.

    What do you mean they change and go back?

    > I'm not overclocking and the mobo settings are correct for the AMD
    > 2600 processor.

    You said 'they change' and now you say 'they are correct' -- that doesn't
    describe a change. A change description would be - these numbers are how
    they are set - these #s are the change that happens spontaneously.

    > The temp in my CMOS shows 145 F.

    That's not hot. And, that is a number - which is much better than
    'correct'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 7, 2009
  9. In message <>, John wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:47:34 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Usually it's the CPU settings. However, if I reboot a few times it
    > >> goes back to the corrrect settings for the CPU.
    > >>
    > >> Do you think that the CPU is getting to hot?

    > >What is your mobo, cpu, & settings? Are you overclocking? Are you
    > >monitoring cpu temp?

    > I'm not overclocking and the mobo settings are correct for the AMD
    > 2600 processor. The temp in my CMOS shows 145 F.

    Id try these things: download Everest home diagnostic software for your mobo.
    Its pretty kewl with lots of clicky buttons to find out how everything is
    running.
    If you spot an obvious problem with it fine. If not, locate the jumper on yer
    mobo to "Clear CMOS" and do that. Then set up your BIOS according to your mobo
    manual.

    HTH

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 7, 2009
  10. John

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if my video card, a power supply problem, or could it
    > be the CMOS battery.
    >
    > I sometimes get a message "no signal". This particular video card has
    > been replaced 2 x already by the manufacturer. They have given be two
    > brand new cards for the replacement.
    >
    > If I turn off the computer and try to reboot it doesn't let me. If I
    > wait for about 10 minutes and reboot my cmos settings are a little
    > off. However, the date/time is fine.
    >
    > I tried swapping out the CMOS battery already, but I still get the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    What is your power supply rated at?

    What is the model and make of your computer.

    (Suspects a consumer computer - likely slightly more than 1 year old)

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 7, 2009
  11. John

    John Guest

    >What is your power supply rated at?

    It's a 450 watt power supply.

    I changed the CMOS battery to a new one and it still happened last
    night.

    What keeps happening is that I get no signal all of a sudden. I then
    have to push the power or reset button and then it says my CPU
    settings are incorrect. I hit delete and go into my Bios and
    everything is correct. I then hit my reset button again and it boots
    up fine. I have never seen anything like this in the past and I have
    been using computers for 22 years.

    I have cleaned the dust around the CPU/Video card/case fans.

    The CPU temp runs around 60 C.

    John, Jul 8, 2009
  12. John

    Another Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if my video card, a power supply problem, or could it
    > be the CMOS battery.
    >
    > I sometimes get a message "no signal". This particular video card has

    Does you PSU meet the minimum wattage requirements for your video card?

    Another, Jul 8, 2009
  13. John

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    >>What is your power supply rated at?
    >>

    > It's a 450 watt power supply.
    >
    > I changed the CMOS battery to a new one and it still happened last
    > night.
    >
    > What keeps happening is that I get no signal all of a sudden. I then
    > have to push the power or reset button and then it says my CPU
    > settings are incorrect. I hit delete and go into my Bios and
    > everything is correct. I then hit my reset button again and it boots
    > up fine. I have never seen anything like this in the past and I have
    > been using computers for 22 years.
    >
    > I have cleaned the dust around the CPU/Video card/case fans.
    >
    > The CPU temp runs around 60 C.

    See if you have a mainboard manual. It's usually a small booklet about
    3"x5". In it see if there's a jumper that says BIOS reset. They are usually
    right near the battery for obvious reasons. You connect it for 5 seconds
    and then remove in. Alternatively, you can set the BIOS defaults in the BIOS
    setup. Sometimes the NVRAM (which holds the information) gets a couple bytes
    corrupted. It sure sounds like this is the problem - at least with the message
    you get if not the non-boot. Could certainly affect the computer's POST as well.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 8, 2009
  14. John

    John Guest

    Just an update.

    My screen was completely black and there was no more "no signal"
    display. I figured my video card finally died.

    I replaced it and have not had any problems since.

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

    John, Jul 9, 2009
  15. John

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:00:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >See if you have a mainboard manual. It's usually a small booklet about
    >3"x5". In it see if there's a jumper that says BIOS reset.

    More dangerous advice from chucktard.

    Evan Platt, Jul 9, 2009
  16. John

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:57:37 -0700, John <>
    wrote:

    >Just an update.
    >
    >My screen was completely black and there was no more "no signal"
    >display. I figured my video card finally died.
    >
    >I replaced it and have not had any problems since.
    >
    >Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

    Glad you didn't listen to chucktards advice to reset your bios. His
    advice is wrong, and dangerous.

    Evan Platt, Jul 9, 2009
  17. John

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:00:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>See if you have a mainboard manual. It's usually a small booklet about
    >>3"x5". In it see if there's a jumper that says BIOS reset.

    >More dangerous advice from chucktard.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    Chucktard, Chuckturd, Idiot, Clueless, Stupid and many more names this
    persons is called as time goes on. He makes no friends and alienates
    all he comes in contact with.

    He will give wrong information, stick to it to his last breath, then
    change his stance to the proper solution when it appears - taking
    credit for it as well.

    This person has no self pity and will steal others advice as his own.
    It's quite obvious when it happens.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) always has to appear right or correct
    and those long threads you see involving him is a "who can last the
    longest" or just the fact that he has to be right no matter how wrong
    he is. and I swear, last post appears important as well, an awful
    combination.

    This person will give advice that can cause you to lose your data,
    lose your computer (bad bios info) or just flat screw you.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) running Win98, a person who has never
    used a NT OS yet feels quite comfortable giving advice he has never
    used himself.

    This group likes the fact it's able to help others, (setq (chuck nil)
    car(chuck) ) really doesn't care about the user, just how he comes
    across (and that's always him being seen as right)

    But (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) anytime you come up with some of
    your bogus advice, I will call you on it.

    Seriously if you receive advice from (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ),
    google the information first to see if it's even in the ball park.

    Pennywise.
    --
    DIY shotgun made in prison, using match-heads,
    AA batteries and broken light bulb

    , Jul 12, 2009
  18. John

    Guest

    John <> wrote:

    >>What is your power supply rated at?
    >>

    >It's a 450 watt power supply.
    >
    >I changed the CMOS battery to a new one and it still happened last
    >night.
    >
    >What keeps happening is that I get no signal all of a sudden. I then
    >have to push the power or reset button and then it says my CPU
    >settings are incorrect. I hit delete and go into my Bios and
    >everything is correct. I then hit my reset button again and it boots
    >up fine. I have never seen anything like this in the past and I have
    >been using computers for 22 years.
    >
    >I have cleaned the dust around the CPU/Video card/case fans.
    >
    >The CPU temp runs around 60 C.

    I built a digital voltage meter to monitor computer voltages. Set it
    in place and forgot about it. Long wires so I could put it almost in
    my line of sight.

    You need one for your power good signal.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcPowerGood-c.html
    It's the gray wire
    http://www.hardwarebook.info/ATX_Power_Supply