video card problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cindy Stuart, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    pc - mpc clientpro 565 p4 4gb ram nvidia geforce 6600 card xp pro.
    i have 2 xp pro installations on same machine.
    the second one was set up because of a prior problem, but it's useful when i
    do something dumb and can't bootup. i use a great program ERUNT. it
    backups the registry, automatically is an option. erunt restores the pc to
    another point in time. "system restore" never worked right for me. using
    erunt, i bootup using the second install, after bootup go to the original
    windows folder, then to the erunt folder and fun the file from the day
    before or any day. after restart, i use the normal, 1st win install, and
    the pc boots up fine.
    anyway - here is the problem:
    my video card stopped appearing on my normal bootup - and of course the
    monitor doesn't appear either. i noticed this recently when i tried to run
    software that needs the card.

    i tried to reinstall the drivers - which is hard when the card doesn't show
    up in the device manager.

    i took a look at my second boot up and device manager showed the display
    adapter card and my syncmaster 710n monitor.

    so the card is there and it is working properly.

    how do i get my first installation, my regular bootup, to see the card.
    please don't say to just use the second install because all my programs work
    from the first.

    tia
    cindy
    Cindy Stuart, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Cindy Stuart

    meerkat Guest

    "Cindy Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > pc - mpc clientpro 565 p4 4gb ram nvidia geforce 6600 card xp pro.
    > i have 2 xp pro installations on same machine.
    > the second one was set up because of a prior problem, but it's useful when
    > do something dumb and can't bootup. i use a great program ERUNT. it
    > backups the registry, automatically is an option. erunt restores the pc to
    > another point in time. "system restore" never worked right for me. using
    > erunt, i bootup using the second install, after bootup go to the original
    > windows folder, then to the erunt folder and fun the file from the day
    > before or any day. after restart, i use the normal, 1st win install, and
    > the pc boots up fine.
    > anyway - here is the problem:
    > my video card stopped appearing on my normal bootup - and of course the
    > monitor doesn't appear either. i noticed this recently when i tried to
    > run
    > software that needs the card.
    >
    > i tried to reinstall the drivers - which is hard when the card doesn't
    > show
    > up in the device manager.
    >
    > i took a look at my second boot up and device manager showed the display
    > adapter card and my syncmaster 710n monitor.
    >
    > so the card is there and it is working properly.
    >
    > how do i get my first installation, my regular bootup, to see the card.
    > please don't say to just use the second install because all my programs
    > work
    > from the first.

    Do a system repair with your winXP CD.
    That way you`ll retain all your data and settings.
    meerkat, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Cindy Stuart

    ded Guest

    "Cindy Stuart" <> wrote in message

    Snipped

    > i tried to reinstall the drivers - which is hard when the card doesn't
    > show
    > up in the device manager.
    >
    > i took a look at my second boot up and device manager showed the display
    > adapter card and my syncmaster 710n monitor.
    >
    > so the card is there and it is working properly.
    >
    > how do i get my first installation, my regular bootup, to see the card.
    > please don't say to just use the second install because all my programs
    > work
    > from the first.
    >
    > tia
    > cindy

    Nvidia installations will have a desktop manager entry in control panel.
    In the complex waffle you posted you describe the symptoms of a restricted
    profile.
    In turn, in both bizarre XP pro installations on your PC, logon as
    Administrator,
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>nView Desktop Manager
    Click the "Profiles" tab
    Tick box: "Include Settings in Profile Loads and Saves"
    ded, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 7-Aug-2007, "ded" <> wrote:

    > In turn, in both bizarre XP pro installations on your PC, logon as
    > Administrator,
    > Start>Settings>Control Panel>nView Desktop Manager
    > Click the "Profiles" tab
    > Tick box: "Include Settings in Profile Loads and Saves"

    the nview on the first bizarre will not load, on the other, i did not see
    that wording on the profiles tab. i did, however, enable just about
    everything i could.
    nothing's changed.
    i do notice that in the device manager that a device isn't working; i wonder
    if it's related.
    in system devices:
    intel(r) 925x pci express root port - 2585
    properties advises:
    This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
    If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
    devices on this system.
    my second install shows this device as ok.
    Cindy Stuart, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Cindy Stuart

    ded Guest

    > On 7-Aug-2007, "ded" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In turn, in both bizarre XP pro installations on your PC, logon as
    >> Administrator,
    >> Start>Settings>Control Panel>nView Desktop Manager
    >> Click the "Profiles" tab
    >> Tick box: "Include Settings in Profile Loads and Saves"

    > the nview on the first bizarre will not load, on the other, i did not see
    > that wording on the profiles tab. i did, however, enable just about
    > everything i could.
    > nothing's changed.
    > i do notice that in the device manager that a device isn't working; i
    > wonder
    > if it's related.
    > in system devices:
    > intel(r) 925x pci express root port - 2585
    > properties advises:
    > This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
    > If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
    > devices on this system.
    > my second install shows this device as ok.

    That error is in the KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918417/en-us
    But not very helpful though

    These have suggestions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/en-us

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810186/en-us
    ded, Aug 7, 2007
  6. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    Re: video card problem - solved!

    i guesss i should have mentioned this before. i had recently added 2gb ram
    to go to max 4gb, one gb for each slot.
    all the rams are new. i took out the last two and i see that the (intel(r)
    925x pci express root port - 2585) is now ok and my graphics card and
    monitor now appear. obviously adding the ram caused the problem.
    i'm going to leave just the 2gb.
    the manual says that i can have total of 4 1gb sticks; so why this is
    screwing up the system, i don't know. maybe i need a bios uprade. but i'm
    going to quit here. i've had enough! and my system is working good with the
    2gb

    thanks for your help

    i now have 2 brandnew 1gb pc2-4200u ddr2 533 cl4 memory sticks from crucial
    technology. - probably sell them on ebay
    sorry for all the rambling
    cindy
    Cindy Stuart, Aug 7, 2007
  7. Cindy Stuart

    ded Guest

    Re: video card problem - solved!

    "Cindy Stuart" <> waffled in message
    >i guesss i should have mentioned this before. i had recently added 2gb ram
    > to go to max 4gb, one gb for each slot.
    > all the rams are new. i took out the last two and i see that the
    > (intel(r)
    > 925x pci express root port - 2585) is now ok and my graphics card and
    > monitor now appear. obviously adding the ram caused the problem.
    > i'm going to leave just the 2gb.

    If that was the problem then it would have manifested in both your
    XP pro boots wouldn't it, more likely is the odd dual boot of the same
    OS (Assumed with duplicate service packs, patches, hotfixes etc)
    It would be a wild but plausible guess that there maybe any number
    of hardware configuration settings that maybe different with each boot?
    The I/O interrupt request conflict, well your setup is a bit odd to say
    the least and probably wasn't helping with that problem.
    But now you've got it all functioning, why not try reinstalling the
    additional
    RAM one more time, and this time resource assignment may get it right.

    ded, Aug 7, 2007
  8. Cindy Stuart

    On 7-Aug-2007, "ded" <> wrote:

    > But now you've got it all functioning, why not try reinstalling the
    > additional
    > RAM one more time, and this time resource assignment may get it right.

    i first went to my pc manufacturer site and installed their bios upgrade. i
    have a sneaky feeling that intel has a more current upgrade than the one i
    was able to get from mpc site.
    i then installed the additional 2gb ram and all seems to be well, no
    conflicts! -
    except that, whereas the bios program is reporting that the full 4096 (4gb)
    is installed, xp pro is showing 2.87gb. a net gain of .87
    my question is, what good is adding 2gb of ram when it is giving me only
    ..87gb more,
    or am i really getting 2gb worth of the additional ram even though windows
    is reporting only the .87?
    the manual says i can have up to 4.
    would you recommend leaving the 2 additional in the machine.
    thanks,
    cindy
    Cindy Stuart, Aug 7, 2007
  9. Cindy Stuart

    ded Guest

    > On 7-Aug-2007, "ded" <> wrote:
    >
    >> But now you've got it all functioning, why not try reinstalling the
    >> additional
    >> RAM one more time, and this time resource assignment may get it right.

    > i first went to my pc manufacturer site and installed their bios upgrade.
    > have a sneaky feeling that intel has a more current upgrade than the one i
    > was able to get from mpc site.
    > i then installed the additional 2gb ram and all seems to be well, no
    > conflicts! -
    > except that, whereas the bios program is reporting that the full 4096
    > (4gb)
    > is installed, xp pro is showing 2.87gb. a net gain of .87
    > my question is, what good is adding 2gb of ram when it is giving me only
    > .87gb more,
    > or am i really getting 2gb worth of the additional ram even though windows
    > is reporting only the .87?
    > the manual says i can have up to 4.
    > would you recommend leaving the 2 additional in the machine.
    > thanks,
    > cindy

    32 bit systems can only see a max of 3.25gb of RAM, to see more and run
    windows you'd have to go for a 64 bit system running Vista.
    If you want to learn the ins and outs, the whys and whatfors, google:
    swap and page file.
    The two additional sticks may be bad RAM or a mismatch, so try a process
    of elimination:
    Remove one stick of new RAM, alternate with other.
    Try with original modules removed and just new ones installed.
    Try not to waffle so much
    ded, Aug 7, 2007