Video Card Options

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Scott wrote:
    > Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or 9600pro?
    > or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?

    what games you gonna play?
    if HL2, CPU may be a better investment.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Scott Guest

    Hi

    What's the current opinion on mid-range cards at the moment?

    I'm running a Ti4200 on an AMD XP2000+ with 512mb of ram.

    Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or 9600pro?
    or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?

    Not interested in overclocking. Just looking for a bang for buck upgrade or
    if its not there, I'll hang with the status quo.

    TIA

    Scott, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    William Bell Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:19:24 +1300, "Scott" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >What's the current opinion on mid-range cards at the moment?
    >
    >I'm running a Ti4200 on an AMD XP2000+ with 512mb of ram.
    >
    >Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or 9600pro?
    >or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?
    >
    >Not interested in overclocking. Just looking for a bang for buck upgrade or
    >if its not there, I'll hang with the status quo.
    >
    >TIA

    There are a few ATI 9800 that are about the same price as the FX5900XT, and
    could be a better buy..

    But the FX5900XT is a True DX9 card..

    William Bell, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Scott Guest

    snip

    > what games you gonna play?
    > if HL2, CPU may be a better investment.

    Running an Asus A7N8X which is good up to the 3000+. $200.00 better spent
    there than on the video card?

    Scott, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    cowboyz Guest

    William Bell wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:19:24 +1300, "Scott" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What's the current opinion on mid-range cards at the moment?
    >>
    >> I'm running a Ti4200 on an AMD XP2000+ with 512mb of ram.
    >>
    >> Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or
    >> 9600pro? or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?
    >>
    >> Not interested in overclocking. Just looking for a bang for buck
    >> upgrade or if its not there, I'll hang with the status quo.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > There are a few ATI 9800 that are about the same price as the
    > FX5900XT, and could be a better buy..
    >
    > But the FX5900XT is a True DX9 card..

    And the 9800 is a true DX9 card. And the FX series struggles with DX9
    especially in Half life 2. 9800pro is a way better buy than the FX5900XT
    right now.

    cowboyz, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    XPD Guest

    > Scott wrote:
    > > Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or

    9600pro?
    > > or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?

    > what games you gonna play?
    > if HL2, CPU may be a better investment.

    Hmm.. Im running HL2 reasonably well on my aging system.... P4 1.8@2.1 and
    a GF4MX420 - Ill admit the resolution isnt cranked right up but still looks
    purdier than the orig HL :D

    XPD, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    cowboyz Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Scott wrote:
    >>> Any real benefits in going to a sub $300.00 card like a 9600XT or
    >>> 9600pro? or maybe push the budget up to a FX5900XT?

    >> what games you gonna play?
    >> if HL2, CPU may be a better investment.

    > Hmm.. Im running HL2 reasonably well on my aging system.... P4
    > 1.8@2.1 and a GF4MX420 - Ill admit the resolution isnt cranked right
    > up but still looks purdier than the orig HL :D

    you certainly can. awesome engine and scales well. I play it on a 2100
    with 9800pro. My mate plays it on a 2200 with a GF4MX440SE at 640x480 with
    everything turned off. Plays really well but just doesn't look like it is
    intended. In fact, it looks like a completely different game.

    cowboyz, Nov 30, 2004