    card files are present.

    Any ideas?

    Don

    D&JG, Feb 8, 2008

  2. D&JG

    Paul Guest

    D&JG wrote:
    > I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 and added a Philips 'FlyVideo' card to
    > copy old family videotapes to the HD for transfer to DVD. This worked fine
    > on the old Pentium III but refuses to work on the Dell.
    >
    > I'm using Cyberlink Power Director to record the live video. Worked well on
    > the old PC but the Dell refuses to accept the video from the card, no matter
    > what settings are used. The 'V-Gear' TV function does work OK - ie. I can
    > view normal TV and video direct from the card with 'V-Gear' - but nothing
    > goes from the card to Cyberlink.
    >
    > Is the card too old (about 7 years) for the Dell? How can I get the PC to
    > look at the card? No hardware devices show any errors and all the video
    > card files are present.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Don

    Are the two computers using different OSes ? Maybe the driver model
    changed. To understand the options though, it might help to
    more precisely identify the capture card. I get a lot of hits
    for FlyVideo in a search engine.

    http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards?&&next=50&orderby=Price

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 8, 2008

  3. D&JG

    D&JG Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:foifhv$3eq$...
    > D&JG wrote:
    >> I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 and added a Philips 'FlyVideo' card
    >> to copy old family videotapes to the HD for transfer to DVD. This worked
    >> fine on the old Pentium III but refuses to work on the Dell.
    >>
    >> I'm using Cyberlink Power Director to record the live video. Worked well
    >> on the old PC but the Dell refuses to accept the video from the card, no
    >> matter what settings are used. The 'V-Gear' TV function does work OK -
    >> ie. I can view normal TV and video direct from the card with 'V-Gear' -
    >> but nothing goes from the card to Cyberlink.
    >>
    >> Is the card too old (about 7 years) for the Dell? How can I get the PC
    >> to look at the card? No hardware devices show any errors and all the
    >> video card files are present.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Don

    > Are the two computers using different OSes ? Maybe the driver model
    > changed. To understand the options though, it might help to
    > more precisely identify the capture card. I get a lot of hits
    > for FlyVideo in a search engine.
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards?&&next=50&orderby=Price
    >
    > Paul

    Sorry Paul, the card is NOT a FlyVideo but a Philips WDM. Can't find any
    model numbers but here is the driver list as found with Device Manager..

    V-Gear SecurityTV, Philips WDM TvTuner
    V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Audio Capture
    V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Crossbar
    V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Video Capture

    No listing of Philips on the above link, either :O(

    Don

    D&JG, Feb 8, 2008
  4. D&JG

    Paul Guest

    D&JG wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:foifhv$3eq$...
    >> D&JG wrote:
    >>> I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 and added a Philips 'FlyVideo' card
    >>> to copy old family videotapes to the HD for transfer to DVD. This worked
    >>> fine on the old Pentium III but refuses to work on the Dell.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Cyberlink Power Director to record the live video. Worked well
    >>> on the old PC but the Dell refuses to accept the video from the card, no
    >>> matter what settings are used. The 'V-Gear' TV function does work OK -
    >>> ie. I can view normal TV and video direct from the card with 'V-Gear' -
    >>> but nothing goes from the card to Cyberlink.
    >>>
    >>> Is the card too old (about 7 years) for the Dell? How can I get the PC
    >>> to look at the card? No hardware devices show any errors and all the
    >>> video card files are present.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> Are the two computers using different OSes ? Maybe the driver model
    >> changed. To understand the options though, it might help to
    >> more precisely identify the capture card. I get a lot of hits
    >> for FlyVideo in a search engine.
    >>
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards?&&next=50&orderby=Price
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Sorry Paul, the card is NOT a FlyVideo but a Philips WDM. Can't find any
    > model numbers but here is the driver list as found with Device Manager..
    >
    > V-Gear SecurityTV, Philips WDM TvTuner
    > V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Audio Capture
    > V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Crossbar
    > V-Gear SecurityTV, WDM Video Capture
    >
    > No listing of Philips on the above link, either :O(
    >
    > Don

    I see you've been having fun with this thing, since 2004 :)

    http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.video.desktop/browse_frm/thread/c830a20585b52ed1/3e152adad6aafacd

    The product could have been made by the defunct V-Gear Corp. The English
    web page leads here.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030511...s/list1.asp?ProdID=AMVG1-003-014&SUB_NUM=1801

    The company appears to have some other names as well. If you wanted to
    find out what happened to them.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040819081239/v-gearcorp.com/company/index.asp#contacts

    Looks like something similar here, but the product number is not quite the same.

    http://www.mren.com.tw/?path=/product/show.php3?id=040810901027&bytop10

    With a WDM driver, then any software that uses WDM, should be able to
    get some access to the PCI card. What may be lacking though, is a method
    to select the input channel (TV tuner, composite input, etc). I know in
    some environments, with my BT878 based card, I can record video, but
    I don't have the ability to select the TV channel, or select the
    composite input connector. (In one case, I actually resorted to doing
    PCI bus peek/poke, and actually got the thing working. It depends
    on how desperate you are... Without doing that, all I could capture
    was a "blue screen", which means no video input is being seen by
    the hardware.)

    Chances are, the reference to Philips, is to the main chip on the PCI
    card. Like a Philips SAA-7134. Philips is a large semiconductor company,
    that has made a number of different capture chips.

    Is there any evidence that the Cyberlink software is sensitive to the
    system it is installed on, or to the value of the current date ? There
    are isolated cases, where commercial software has "time bomb" feature, and
    that may or may not have been intentional. The Cyberlink software could have
    been a custom version made just for V-Gear, and keyed somehow, to the product.
    (Chances are, if you tried to ask Cyberlink, they wouldn't have a clue what
    you were talking about. Corporate memories are very short, when making
    deals like that.)

    Are there any error messages ? Anything recorded in Event Viewer in the
    way of errors ?

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 9, 2008
  5. D&JG

    D&JG Guest

    D&JG, Feb 9, 2008
  6. D&JG

    Paul Guest

    D&JG wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:foitkh$eur$...
    > <snip>
    >> I see you've been having fun with this thing, since 2004 :)
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.video.desktop/browse_frm/thread/c830a20585b52ed1/3e152adad6aafacd
    >>

    > Holy Moley!!! Didn't realize it's been so long!!
    >
    > Thanks for the head-up. I'm going to throw the old crap as far as I can and
    > go out and buy a new video card!!!
    >
    > No more problems (I hope...)
    >
    > Don

    The weakest part of the hardware, is the software provided. What I'd
    look for, is perhaps a more established company, that is known to
    provide support for a few more years. (While Hauppauge is not well
    liked by everyone, I can still find software for my card on their site.)

    Depending on what you want to do, there may be some third-party
    software that is best for the application. If the third party software
    has a list of hardware they either support or have tested, that
    may help you narrow down a solution.

    I have one $500 capture device, that came with a SCSI interface
    on it. I figured "this will never be obsolete" :) But just the
    next generation of computers, made the device useless. So throwing
    away hardware seems to be a common theme.

    I've had my BT878 based card for a number of years, and have used it on
    a Mac, on a PC, in Windows and in Linux. So at least for some capture
    chips, there are more widely available drivers, even if they aren't
    provided by the manufacturer. With that chip, the weakness is in
    selecting the input type or the TV channel. But most environments
    seemed to capture OK. My last experiment, was recording TV via
    MythTV in Linux. The BTTV driver is what understands the BT878.

    If you browse the stuff on Newegg, and read the comments, you'll get
    some idea of how well the current generation of companies are doing.

    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=47&name=Video-Devices

    For example, this product comes with a "driver disk" but no recording
    software. It has a breakout box, with composite and S-video input.
    People used various solutions, to get something to work. So while
    the price may be low, the utility really depends on buying software
    to go with it.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16815310002

    I suspect, if you looked at the chip on your current card, it might
    be something like SAA7134. It is possible that some third party
    software can work with it, even if the recording tools provided
    by V-Gear are no longer working properly. But it can take a bit
    of digging, to figure out what might be possible. You should be
    able to find a few hits, based on the chip on the card.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/nz.comp/msg/7b6e9ac534897ad6?dmode=source

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 9, 2008