Video card, driver or both.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Pack, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    The original configuration was AMD Phenom9600, Asus M3A motherboard, Asus
    EN8500GT (Nvidia PCI-E), 4x1GB PC800 ram. Vista Enterprise x64 installed
    without any problems, sleep mode would cause a video lockup and there were
    intermittent video restarts. Changed the video card to an Asus EAH2600XT
    (ATI PCI-E) video problems were still the same. Changed the motherboard to
    an Asus M3N78-Pro, 4x2GB ram, Vista Enterprise x64 installed without any
    problems, with either video card the same video problems and sleep problems
    were present. Removed the video card to try the onboard video (Nvidia
    GF8300) all video and sleep problems were gone. Initial testing on the
    original motherboard with only 2x1GB ram had no effect on the original
    problems. Further testing with an Asus EN6600TD (Nvidia PCI-E) video card
    and an EVGA 6200 (Nvidia PCI) video card eliminated the video and sleep
    problems. The WEI for the EN8500GT & EAH2600XT was 4.4, with the onboard
    video it's 4.2 which means nothing since everything else tests at 5.8 or 5.9
    and the system is functioning properly. The thought that DX10 support could
    have been the cause isn't true because the GF8300 onboard chipset has DX10
    support. Drivers are possible but not likely since the EN8500GT and GF8300
    were running the GF175.16 drivers. Further testing isn't planned since the
    system is currently functioning properly (until I break it).

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Aug 25, 2008

  2. Dennis Pack

    Carlos Guest

    Dennis,
    You have certainly made some research, man!
    Two different motherboards with completely different chipsets.
    Two different families of video cards.
    What is the common factor between your installations?
    Some PCI card we are overlooking?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carlos:
    There were no PCI cards installed on either motherboard. The only weak
    spot could be the power supply, Enermax 550 watt. I didn't think of using
    the smaller video cards on the M3A motherboard.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Aug 26, 2008
  4. I had problems with a video thing, sorry for the technical term. I have
    vista ultimate installed on a tyan 2885 board with dual opterons, single
    core, a highpoint 1820 raid card with raid 5 and 5 raptors other 3 are for
    photo's and other stuff, another technical term.

    During the install with a Nvidia 7600 video card I pulled all but 2 sticks
    of corsair reg ecc memory and everything else that I did not need I could
    not get vista to go beyond an elevated prompt, when the screen was supposed
    to grayout and then your asked do you really want to the computer would
    lock up, in safe mode everything was ok. I tried every driver I could find
    uninstalling before reinstalling with a reboot in there. I tried several
    other Nvidia cards same problem. I replaced the Nvidia card with an ATI
    1900 series AGP card everything was ok. I have replaced the 1900 card
    with a AGP 3850 card I have installed the 4 gigs of memory 5.4 on the
    Vista scale, processors are 4 .4 or something every thing else is 5.9. It
    was not a power thing all the cards I tried are plugged in to the power
    supply, and the 3850 requires the most power. I also have a wintv 1600
    installed w the 4 gigs of memory and it appears to be working, I run my
    satellite dish through it so I am only really using 1 channel so far. I
    believe the problem is with the Nvidia cards or drivers I am not able to put
    the bad cards in something that works but it was only a problem with the
    Nvidia cards or drivers. I am now into the learning curve for vista but I
    think everything is working

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 26, 2008
  5. The latest graphics driver is needed to ensure that isn't the source of the
    problem with lockups on resume. Is your PSU adequate to provide the power
    surge needed on resume from sleep?

    See
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html
    for advice on settings to resolve sleep problems.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 26, 2008
  6. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Matt:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that your up and running with
    stability. My system was stable except the sleep issue. At this point
    running the onboard video cures the problems. The cause is video card
    (either ATI or Nvidia), video card/driver conflict or PSU which I may test
    at a later time.

    Dennis Pack, Aug 26, 2008
  7. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Dominic:
    Thanks for the reply. The article referenced is excellent. The
    problem wasn't going into or out of the sleep mode but after awaking the
    video would go to a checker board with multiple colors until the computer
    was restarted. With the onboard video curing the problem that narrows it
    down to video card, video card (Nvidia or ATI)/driver conflict or PSU. Since
    the system currently is stable, I may test further when I have extra time.

    Dennis Pack, Aug 26, 2008
  8. My experience is that nVidia drivers have been stable for some considerable
    time. Recently, it was only after Catalyst 8.6 that resume from sleep worked
    reliably without video corruption.

    Looking at the list of cards you have tried, problems seem to increase with
    the GPU power requirement. I think power is the most likely problem in your
    case. Are you running too many devices from a single power rail? The PSU may
    have adequate resources but you might be overloading one channel.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 26, 2008
  9. Dennis Pack

    Carlos Guest

    Dominic,
    Fully agree in all your comments about drivers and wattage.
    Something that comes to my mind is whether those cards have an extra 12 volt
    connector for additional juice.
    Dennis might not be connecting it and that could be an issue, or the PSU
    might be faulty doing funny things when resuming from a no load state to a
    normal load one.
    As the problem he is having is really wierd - same issues on quite different
    hardware - we have to look where we have not looked before.
    Hmmmm... What is left?
    Monitor driver maybe?
    Screensaver?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 26, 2008
  10. For the original M3A, there are some BIOS updates which might have been
    relevant, relating to resume from S3 and graphics card compatibility.

    For the M3N78-Pro there is a recent BIOS update with some possible
    relevance, and there are always the undocumented fixes. That board has
    hybrid SLI and enabling and disabling it may be relevant.

    The board claims to have a high capacity power supply, so a graphics card
    which had a power connector might get enough power to run - with problems -
    without it connected, when a lesser board might not display anything at all.
    But I don't think any of the cards Dennis has tried need a separate power
    supply.

    Either Dennis's PSU is weak, or possibly the motherboard's power regulator
    is defective and not supplying the power it should. Monitoring the system
    voltages should tell.

    Graphics card BIOS/firmware is a possibility.

    If the monitor is not ancient it should tell the system what it is capable
    of and the only thing the official driver would provide is a colour profile
    and the actual model name in Device Manager.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 26, 2008
  11. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carlos and Dominic:
    The bios on the M3A board was the latest. The bios on the M3N78-Pro
    is one behind because the latest bios was released the day after I changed
    the motherboard. The 550 watt PSU came out of the FX51 tower when I changed
    it over to Windows Home Server and dropped back to 450 watts. The PSU goes
    back to XP x64 beta days. I ordered an updated 750 watt power supply and
    should have an update by the weekend.

    Dennis Pack, Aug 27, 2008
  12. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Update and Solution.

    Carlos and Dominic:
    Thanks for pushing me back to the basics. I do the same thing daily
    at work in a different field. The power supply was the cause. The power
    supply was a spec v1.2 at 550 watts, the new power supply is a spec v2.2 at
    750 watts. I haven't tried both video cards, just the Nvidia at this point
    so that I didn't have to re-install drivers for the ATI. My error was that I
    jumped towards video because of known driver problems and not following the
    basics. I'm using an old test tower to post this because recently Windows
    Mail or Live Mail haven't been pots to reach the server even though they're
    in the sent folder and show up on the web based version. Time for a nap
    today was chemo-therapy day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64SP2