    Computer Aptiva with AMD 333mhz k6-2 with 3 D now running with 256mb of ram.
    PCI slot Operating system Win 98.

    Thanks

    Richard, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Richard

    bmoag Guest

    I would save the money and put it toward a new computer. This videocard will
    only marginally improve the performance of what has become a very slow
    machine by current standards.

    bmoag, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Richard

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:35:04 -0500, "Richard" <> wrote:

    >I would like to know if the addition of this video card will worth the money
    >and effort,
    >
    >Vision tek Radeon 9100 64 mb ddr pci video card
    >
    >Computer Aptiva with AMD 333mhz k6-2 with 3 D now running with 256mb of ram.
    >PCI slot Operating system Win 98.

    Depends what you want to do.
    If you want games, then look for another computer.

    derek / nul, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:35:04 -0500, "Richard" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I would like to know if the addition of this video card will worth the

    money
    > >and effort,
    > >
    > >Vision tek Radeon 9100 64 mb ddr pci video card
    > >
    > >Computer Aptiva with AMD 333mhz k6-2 with 3 D now running with 256mb of

    ram.
    > >PCI slot Operating system Win 98.

    > Depends what you want to do.
    > If you want games, then look for another computer.

    My goal is not to play the latest game on this computer, I just want to be
    able to play some older one , that are not too hungry...

    So if I understand you correctly the CPU is the weakest link isn't it ?

    Thanks for your input

    Richard, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Richard

    Thor Guest

    wrote:

    > > >I would like to know if the addition of this video card will worth the

    > money
    > > >and effort,
    > > >
    > > >Vision tek Radeon 9100 64 mb ddr pci video card
    > > >
    > > >Computer Aptiva with AMD 333mhz k6-2 with 3 D now running with 256mb of

    > ram.
    > > >PCI slot Operating system Win 98.

    > > Depends what you want to do.
    > > If you want games, then look for another computer.

    > My goal is not to play the latest game on this computer, I just want to be
    > able to play some older one , that are not too hungry...
    >
    > So if I understand you correctly the CPU is the weakest link isn't it ?
    >
    > Thanks for your input

    Were you able to play this game earlier at some point, and now you are
    unable to for some reason?

    Thor, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "derek / nul" <> wrote in message

    the
    > > money

    of
    > > ram.
    > > >
    > > > Depends what you want to do.
    > > > If you want games, then look for another computer.

    > > My goal is not to play the latest game on this computer, I just want to

    be
    > > able to play some older one , that are not too hungry...
    > >
    > > So if I understand you correctly the CPU is the weakest link isn't it ?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input

    > Were you able to play this game earlier at some point, and now you are
    > unable to for some reason?

    Thor you touch a point, I asked my sons and they both said that they were
    able to play some game in the past with no trouble or very little.

    The problem is that we have a few game that we can play but with difficulty,
    even if the minimum requirements are met.Even with only systray and explorer
    running.

    The onboard video chip is an ATI rage pro turbo 2x with 4 mb, kind of small
    , hence my search for a cheap solution
    Thanks

    Richard, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Richard

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would think you should do complete upgrade of the machine. By today's
    standards, if you want to do something comparable, the machine is too
    archaic. If you want to do simple word processing, and only use software of
    the era of the machine, then it will be okay. The net itself is getting
    more advanced, and there is a time to keep up. If you are using an older
    operating system, then there are the security issues. A newer operating
    system may not perform its best on older hardware.

    The performance of the machine is not only the CPU. There is the main buss,
    I/O interfacing, and much more that contribute to the speed of the machine.

    As far as adding memory to the display card, this would not be worth the
    cost and effort. You will gain screen resolution capability, and probably
    not much in the way of speed. If you increase the resolution of the card,
    you will then probably require a newer monitor to take advantage of it.

    There are some very attractive P4 PC packages for a reasonable cost that
    include the monitor and a modem.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    Jerry G., Nov 18, 2003
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ?

    > > > Thanks for your input

    > > Were you able to play this game earlier at some point, and now you are
    > > unable to for some reason?

    > Thor you touch a point, I asked my sons and they both said that they were
    > able to play some game in the past with no trouble or very little.
    >
    > The problem is that we have a few game that we can play but with

    difficulty,
    > even if the minimum requirements are met.Even with only systray and

    explorer
    > running.
    >
    > The onboard video chip is an ATI rage pro turbo 2x with 4 mb, kind of

    small
    > , hence my search for a cheap solution
    > Thanks

    Jerry, thanks for your input.

    The situation is that I do not want to buy anymore games (new) to play on
    this computer. We decided to buy a game console , Gamecube Xbox Ps 2 we
    dont know yet but thats the way we are going.

    So the idea is to get as much as the old machine can give without investing
    too much money. We basically use the machine for surfing the Net, kids
    homework, and for a few old game that the old machine is supposed to be able
    to play.

    Thanks once again

    Richard

    Richard, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Richard

    Thor Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "derek / nul" <> wrote in message

    > the
    > > > money

    256mb
    > of
    > > > ram.

    > > > My goal is not to play the latest game on this computer, I just want

    > be
    > > > able to play some older one , that are not too hungry...
    > > >
    > > > So if I understand you correctly the CPU is the weakest link isn't it

    ?

    > > > Thanks for your input

    > > Were you able to play this game earlier at some point, and now you are
    > > unable to for some reason?

    > Thor you touch a point, I asked my sons and they both said that they were
    > able to play some game in the past with no trouble or very little.
    >
    > The problem is that we have a few game that we can play but with

    difficulty,
    > even if the minimum requirements are met.Even with only systray and

    explorer
    > running.
    >
    > The onboard video chip is an ATI rage pro turbo 2x with 4 mb, kind of

    small

    This video chipset is crap. And 4MB of video memory is not much.

    > , hence my search for a cheap solution
    > Thanks

    Even an old used 32MB TNT 2, or Geforce 1, or Geforce 2 card will likely
    help some, but don't expect a miracle with a 333Mhz CPU. Get an older Nvidia
    card like I suggested, and that's about all you can really do with that
    system that will make much of a difference.

    Thor, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    worth
    > > the

    > 256mb
    > > of

    > > be

    it
    > ?

    > > > Were you able to play this game earlier at some point, and now you are
    > > > unable to for some reason?

    > > Thor you touch a point, I asked my sons and they both said that they

    were
    > > able to play some game in the past with no trouble or very little.
    > >
    > > The problem is that we have a few game that we can play but with

    > difficulty,
    > > even if the minimum requirements are met.Even with only systray and

    > explorer
    > > running.
    > >
    > > The onboard video chip is an ATI rage pro turbo 2x with 4 mb, kind of

    > small
    >
    > This video chipset is crap. And 4MB of video memory is not much.
    >
    > > , hence my search for a cheap solution
    > > Thanks

    > Even an old used 32MB TNT 2, or Geforce 1, or Geforce 2 card will likely
    > help some, but don't expect a miracle with a 333Mhz CPU. Get an older

    Nvidia
    > card like I suggested, and that's about all you can really do with that
    > system that will make much of a difference.

    Thor, That what I'll do, just for the sake of curiosity.
    A 333 Mhz was a Cadillac not long ago ;-))
    Thanks God that you and I are still up to the task !!!

    Thanks for your input Thor, appreciated

    Richard

    Richard, Nov 19, 2003