    blurred and blocky, is that a software issue of a hardware one, I have a
    Geforce 5200 and Pinnicle Studio capture thingy.

    Any suggestions

    The One, Dec 18, 2004

  2. The One

    Robert Baer Guest

    The One wrote:

    > How do I capture full screen TV from a TV card that isnt shit quality all
    > blurred and blocky, is that a software issue of a hardware one, I have a
    > Geforce 5200 and Pinnicle Studio capture thingy.
    >
    > Any suggestions

    It is the setting of the video capture software.
    For example, my ATI all-in-wonder board comes with software that
    allows one to play DVDs, VCDs, TV, etc.
    In the TV mode, one can also capture (ie record to the HD) the input.
    There are many possible combinations of formats that one can select
    for capture; here are the few that i have looked at and "reviewed"(use
    courier):
    Standard formats
    Formats Type Comments Rate Rel size Looks FileType
    DVD MPEG-2 720X480 NTSC 8.00Mbps 161.8M good MP2
    Good ATI VCR 640X240 NTSC 6.00Mbps 131.0M good VCR
    Longer ATI VCR reduced quality 2.00Mbps 45.8M good VCR
    Video CD MPEG-1 352X240 NTSC 1.05Mbps 27.9M good MPG

    Custom formats
    Formats Type Comments Rate Rel size Looks FileType
    56K Modem Windows Media 30Kbps 0.6M V bad WMV
    Local Use Windows Media 1470Kbps 29.8M best WMV
    AVI capture AVI 80X60 29.97fps - 74.9M bad AVI
    Quarter VGA AVI 320X240 29.97fps 1.60Mbps 764.9M good AVI
    VGA resolution AVI 640X480 29.97fps - 2.9G choppy AVI

    The format names are from ATI, they are not mine.
    The "looks" is in relation to seeing a DVD played on the same system;
    2.020MHz Pentium 4.
    Either Win98SE or Win2000 is useable, but Win2000 does a better job
    during the capture process.
    "Choppy" is due to the fact the computer cannot keep up with (at
    least) the playback of the file.
    I suspect the recording is also bad, due to the gigantic amount of
    data.
    Note the "Video CD" mode and the "Local Use" mode is very similar in
    quality and space for a given amount of recording time.
    The "Local Use" mode is very slightly better in quality; i had to
    nitpick to see a difference; i use that mode for all capture.

    Is this of some help?

    Robert Baer, Dec 18, 2004

  3. The One

    me Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message
    > How do I capture full screen TV from a TV card that isnt shit quality all
    > blurred and blocky, is that a software issue of a hardware one, I have a
    > Geforce 5200 and Pinnicle Studio capture thingy.
    >
    > Any suggestions

    Not too sure about the Pinnacle software,there should be an option to change
    the capture resolution or bitrate.If you are in the US,the max resolution
    it'll probably let you use is 720x480(NTSC) or 720x576 for PAL(UK)Also make
    sure it is capturing in MPEG2(if you want to use it to make a DVD) instead
    of MPEG1 (for making video CD's)

    me, Dec 18, 2004
  4. The One

    The One Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:LxRwd.1044$zp.653@lakeread07...

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >> How do I capture full screen TV from a TV card that isnt shit quality all
    >> blurred and blocky, is that a software issue of a hardware one, I have a
    >> Geforce 5200 and Pinnicle Studio capture thingy.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions
    >>

    > Not too sure about the Pinnacle software,there should be an option to
    > change
    > the capture resolution or bitrate.If you are in the US,the max resolution
    > it'll probably let you use is 720x480(NTSC) or 720x576 for PAL(UK)Also
    > make
    > sure it is capturing in MPEG2(if you want to use it to make a DVD) instead
    > of MPEG1 (for making video CD's)

    Thany you both, much appreicated

    The One, Dec 18, 2004