    supplied to capture. I'm using the USB (rather than firewire) to
    capture. I'm exporting the video at MPEG-1 with quality set to highest.

    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Robert M. Gary

    Alpha Guest

    "Robert M. Gary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just bought a JVC D93U video camera. When I plug the camera directly
    > into the TV, the video quality is pretty good. However, when I capture
    > it on my PC and then new it on the PC the quality is poor. The video
    > shows lots of artifacts. I'm using the ImageMixer program that JVC
    > supplied to capture. I'm using the USB (rather than firewire) to
    > capture. I'm exporting the video at MPEG-1 with quality set to highest.
    >

    > -Robert

    Mpeg 1? Bad idea...it will be horrible.

    Alpha, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Robert M. Gary

    Joe Phillips Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in news:110e363r3h5e174
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > "Robert M. Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>I just bought a JVC D93U video camera. When I plug the camera directly
    >> into the TV, the video quality is pretty good. However, when I

    capture
    >> it on my PC and then new it on the PC the quality is poor. The video
    >> shows lots of artifacts. I'm using the ImageMixer program that JVC
    >> supplied to capture. I'm using the USB (rather than firewire) to
    >> capture. I'm exporting the video at MPEG-1 with quality set to

    highest.

    >> -Robert
    >>

    > Mpeg 1? Bad idea...it will be horrible.

    and using usb over firewire with some crap program that came with it
    would make it even worse. Reminds me of the Pinnacle Linx usb av
    capture cable I got a few years ago and the crap Pinnacle Studio 7
    software it came with. Since then I just use my Terapin VCD recorder as
    the capture device then use ISOBuster to rip mpeg1 files onto my laptop
    then use whatever software does the best job of converting to wmv, avi,
    rm, etc. Yes I know mpeg1 is horrible compared to other compressed
    video formats but the setup I use works for me so any flames are happily
    ignored.

    Joe Phillips, Feb 7, 2005
  4. The software offers the ability to do MPEG-4 but that comes out even
    worse. So I guess the question is..
    1) Shoud I use different software for the capture? and
    2) Should I install a firewire card on my PC?

    I have Roxio 6 with the DVD builder but it doesn't recognize my camera.
    I've tried to update Roxio but the download window just hangs pulling
    down the engine update. Should I invest the time in getting Roxio
    working?
    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Robert M. Gary

    theyak Guest

    In article <>, rmg1
    @my-deja.com says...
    > The software offers the ability to do MPEG-4 but that comes out even
    > worse. So I guess the question is..
    > 1) Shoud I use different software for the capture? and

    Yes, the best quality capture program I've found is made by Intervideo.
    Either DVD Creator or Recorder. Creator has authoring as well. Mpeg2 is
    what you want.

    > 2) Should I install a firewire card on my PC?

    Holy Geez, yes. If you have USB 2.0 maybe not. But firewire cards are
    cheap.

    > I have Roxio 6 with the DVD builder but it doesn't recognize my camera.
    > I've tried to update Roxio but the download window just hangs pulling
    > down the engine update. Should I invest the time in getting Roxio
    > working?
    > -Robert

    Roxio is ass.

    theyak, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Robert M. Gary

    Biz Guest

    Try some reading here, it may help you:

    www.digitalfaq.com

    Biz, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Robert M. Gary

    Large Farva Guest

    MPEG1 is about as bad as you can get.

    Large Farva, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Are you saying that you don't like some of the video capture software
    or are you saying that some video capature software produces videos of
    lesser quality? BTW: I spoke with the sales guy at Best Buy who told me
    that even though my computer is USB 2.0, the JVC camcorder is only
    talking USB 1.x. So, we went ahead and bought a firewire PCI card and
    cable off of pricegrabber.com. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Feb 8, 2005
  9. Robert M. Gary

    theyak Guest

    In article <>, rmg1
    @my-deja.com says...
    > Are you saying that you don't like some of the video capture software
    > or are you saying that some video capature software produces videos of
    > lesser quality? BTW: I spoke with the sales guy at Best Buy who told me
    > that even though my computer is USB 2.0, the JVC camcorder is only
    > talking USB 1.x. So, we went ahead and bought a firewire PCI card and
    > cable off of pricegrabber.com. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    >
    > -Robert

    The quality is what I was referring to.

    theyak, Feb 8, 2005