    tried everything that I can think of and I still can't resolve the problem.

    TIA
    Mike

    Mike Day, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Mike Day

    Davey Boy 2 Guest

    "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    news:SwQ2g.57170$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Sony analogue camcorder with a number of tapes which I wish
    > to copy to my PC. I have bought and installed a WinFast VC100 video
    > capture card along with WinFast PVR software. The video capture seems to
    > work OK for the first 20 minutes of the analogue tape but then a jitter
    > starts which gets worse as time goes on. When I look through the
    > viewfinder on the carcorder there is no jitter so it is definitely not a
    > problem with the original recording. I have ensured that I have a large
    > enough swap file and there is plenty of space on my HDD. Can anyone offer
    > any advice as I have tried everything that I can think of and I still
    > can't resolve the problem.
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    I've no experience of the WinFast capture software and my feeling is that
    this isn't the cause of the problem but have you tried capturing using Movie
    Maker? It may be worth running Task Manager to keep an eye on memory
    utilisation as it is possible you have a memory leak on your hands.

    I'm guessing that if you start the tape 20 minutes further in you still get
    the problem but 20 minutes later?

    I'm also assuming you have done all of the normal stuff like defrag the disk
    and check it for errors. Are you running Windows XP (pro/home)? Is your
    partition Fat32 or NTFS?

    Dave

    Davey Boy 2, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Mike Day

    Doz Guest

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:20:53 +0100, Davey Boy 2 wrote:

    > "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an old Sony analogue camcorder with a number of tapes which I wish
    >> to copy to my PC. I have bought and installed a WinFast VC100 video
    >> capture card along with WinFast PVR software. The video capture seems to
    >> work OK for the first 20 minutes of the analogue tape but then a jitter
    >> starts which gets worse as time goes on. When I look through the
    >> viewfinder on the carcorder there is no jitter so it is definitely not a
    >> problem with the original recording. I have ensured that I have a large
    >> enough swap file and there is plenty of space on my HDD. Can anyone offer
    >> any advice as I have tried everything that I can think of and I still
    >> can't resolve the problem.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Mike

    > I've no experience of the WinFast capture software and my feeling is that
    > this isn't the cause of the problem but have you tried capturing using Movie
    > Maker? It may be worth running Task Manager to keep an eye on memory
    > utilisation as it is possible you have a memory leak on your hands.
    >
    > I'm guessing that if you start the tape 20 minutes further in you still get
    > the problem but 20 minutes later?
    >
    > I'm also assuming you have done all of the normal stuff like defrag the disk
    > and check it for errors. Are you running Windows XP (pro/home)? Is your
    > partition Fat32 or NTFS?
    >
    > Dave

    Are you running an antivirus prog during the capture... try disabling it.
    I had the same problem.. it was when the capture software split the file at 2
    gig and started another file the AV software attempted to check the whole 2 gig
    for viruses and borked the system!

    Doz, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Mike Day

    Mike Day Guest

    Mike Day, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Mike Day

    Mike Day Guest

    "Doz" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:20:53 +0100, Davey Boy 2 wrote:
    >
    >> "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have an old Sony analogue camcorder with a number of tapes which I
    >>> wish
    >>> to copy to my PC. I have bought and installed a WinFast VC100 video
    >>> capture card along with WinFast PVR software. The video capture seems
    >>> work OK for the first 20 minutes of the analogue tape but then a jitter
    >>> starts which gets worse as time goes on. When I look through the
    >>> viewfinder on the carcorder there is no jitter so it is definitely not a
    >>> problem with the original recording. I have ensured that I have a large
    >>> enough swap file and there is plenty of space on my HDD. Can anyone
    >>> offer
    >>> any advice as I have tried everything that I can think of and I still
    >>> can't resolve the problem.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Mike

    >> I've no experience of the WinFast capture software and my feeling is that
    >> this isn't the cause of the problem but have you tried capturing using
    >> Movie
    >> Maker? It may be worth running Task Manager to keep an eye on memory
    >> utilisation as it is possible you have a memory leak on your hands.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that if you start the tape 20 minutes further in you still
    >> get
    >> the problem but 20 minutes later?
    >>
    >> I'm also assuming you have done all of the normal stuff like defrag the
    >> disk
    >> and check it for errors. Are you running Windows XP (pro/home)? Is your
    >> partition Fat32 or NTFS?
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Are you running an antivirus prog during the capture... try disabling it.
    > I had the same problem.. it was when the capture software split the file
    > at 2
    > gig and started another file the AV software attempted to check the whole
    > 2 gig
    > for viruses and borked the system!

    Hi,

    Thanks for your original response. In reply, its a brand new hard drive (so
    I havn't defragged it) with an NTFS partition and my OS is XP. I have tried
    using Windows Movie Maker as you suggest and I don't get the same problem,
    the only thing is that when I try to configure it at 720 x 576 I receive an
    error message and I am unable to capture, it will only work at 720 x 288 or
    lower which means poorer quality.

    I am sure that it is not a memory issue as i have now added 512MB from my
    sons machine to my original 512MB.

    Any more suggestions ?

    Mike Day, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Mike Day

    Davey Boy 2 Guest

    > Thanks for your original response. In reply, its a brand new hard drive
    > (so
    > I havn't defragged it) with an NTFS partition and my OS is XP. I have
    > tried
    > using Windows Movie Maker as you suggest and I don't get the same problem,
    > the only thing is that when I try to configure it at 720 x 576 I receive
    > an
    > error message and I am unable to capture, it will only work at 720 x 288
    > or
    > lower which means poorer quality.
    >
    > I am sure that it is not a memory issue as i have now added 512MB from my
    > sons machine to my original 512MB.
    >
    > Any more suggestions ?

    We have a winfast card in a system here and by default it will not let you
    capture at 720x576 UNLESS you change the tv standard away from NTSC to PAL.
    Once I had done this the list of available resolutions changed and indeed
    720x576 was one of them.

    I suspect that the winfast capture software *may* have a memory leak in it
    which could explain why the problem occurs over time.

    Dave

    Davey Boy 2, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Mike Day

    Davey Boy 2 Guest

    Sorry - should have made it clear that the settings below were configured in
    Movie Maker.

    Davey Boy 2, Apr 27, 2006