    How do I capture a video playing? What have I fouled up?

    TIA
    Jeff
    Jeff, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Jeff

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:zI2%d.11083$...
    > Leadtek TV2000 video capture card running on Win2000sp4.
    >
    > I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    > I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    > does not show on the capture card.
    > I know the signal is there as if I replace the lead on the TV I see the
    > video playing.
    >
    > I assume it is a signal freq thing. I tried retuning all the channels on

    the
    > capture card but I still do not see the channel the video is playing on. I
    > hope this explanation of my problem makes sense.
    >
    > How do I capture a video playing? What have I fouled up?
    >
    > TIA
    > Jeff

    Doesn't sound like you're using AV1 instead of a standard coaxial aerial
    lead. Your TV can see the picture because it's tuned in to see it. If your
    card has audio or at least video connection use it. Otherwise have another
    go at tuning the card. The video could be in the VH band.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 20, 2005

  3. In article <zI2%d.11083$>,
    "Jeff" <> wrote:

    >I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    >I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    >does not show on the capture card.

    Which cable did you connect? Sounds like you're using an RF connection.
    You'll get better quality with an AV connection.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <zI2%d.11083$>,
    > "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    > >I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    > >does not show on the capture card.

    > Which cable did you connect? Sounds like you're using an RF connection.
    > You'll get better quality with an AV connection.

    The video output is RF. The card input I am using is RF. The card has other
    inputs but as I understand it, only the RF input includes both audio and
    video signal. My knowledge of this sort of thing is minimal.

    My main confusion is, why does the video player RF output display on the TV
    but not on the vard software when I use the same cable?

    Thanks for the replies so far.
    jeff
    Jeff, Mar 20, 2005
  5. Jeff

    EMB Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > but not on the vard software when I use the same cable?

    If it's an old video it'll be in the VHF-L band and your card probably
    doesn't tune to that.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Jeff said the following on 20/03/2005 1:24 a.m.:
    > Leadtek TV2000 video capture card running on Win2000sp4.
    >
    > I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    > I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    > does not show on the capture card.
    > I know the signal is there as if I replace the lead on the TV I see the
    > video playing.
    >
    > I assume it is a signal freq thing. I tried retuning all the channels on the
    > capture card but I still do not see the channel the video is playing on. I
    > hope this explanation of my problem makes sense.
    >
    > How do I capture a video playing? What have I fouled up?
    >
    > TIA
    > Jeff

    Okay it appears you are using RF as your transmission medium, that means
    that you are not doing yourself any favours quality wise.

    What you need is to feed the audio and video to the card and use the
    bundled software to view/capture it. You will get superior results.
    Collector»NZ, Mar 20, 2005
  7. Jeff

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message

    > "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In article <zI2%d.11083$>,
    >> "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    >> >I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player
    >> >it
    >> >does not show on the capture card.

    >> Which cable did you connect? Sounds like you're using an RF connection.
    >> You'll get better quality with an AV connection.

    > The video output is RF. The card input I am using is RF. The card has
    > other
    > inputs but as I understand it, only the RF input includes both audio and
    > video signal. My knowledge of this sort of thing is minimal.
    >
    > My main confusion is, why does the video player RF output display on the
    > TV
    > but not on the vard software when I use the same cable?
    >
    > Thanks for the replies so far.
    > jeff

    That's easy fixed - on the TV side of things that is.
    Play your video.
    Set your TV tuner to manual.
    Shift the feq. a bit.
    Ta Da!
    No more video picture on the TV - just like your PC.

    If your card has audio and video inputs and your VCR has the matching
    outputs. Then use them. You'll also get a better picture as someone has
    already said.

    Your TV is tuned to the VCR - most likely it has been auto tuned to it at
    sometime on your basic aerial lead type connection.

    Don't fiddle with the TV tuning if you don't want to lose your VCR picture
    on that as well. :)

    Audio video connections don't need tuning, they bypass the TV tuner which
    can degrade the picture a bit putting your video straight to the TV screen.
    The TV should have an AV button, it cuts out the TV tuner allowing anything
    on the audio video connections to play good as gold. Hit the AV button
    again and you're back to your usual TV channels which you've got your VCR on
    one of those TV channel numbers, and it's the only channel number you will
    see your VCR on - because it's tuned into that number on the TV.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 20, 2005
  8. Jeff

    David Preece Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    > I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    > does not show on the capture card.
    > I know the signal is there as if I replace the lead on the TV I see the
    > video playing.

    Most TV's sold these days can decode NTSC signals but your capture card
    maybe can't, is it an American tape? Commercial tapes also have a
    macrovision signal which exists purely for this reason.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 20, 2005
  9. Jeff

    Daniel Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    >> I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    >> does not show on the capture card.
    >> I know the signal is there as if I replace the lead on the TV I see the
    >> video playing.

    > Most TV's sold these days can decode NTSC signals but your capture card
    > maybe can't, is it an American tape? Commercial tapes also have a
    > macrovision signal which exists purely for this reason.

    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I mean, we know it's tuned to the
    video because he can watch TV through it.

    Yes, try another video - ideally one that is both PAL and has no
    macrovision protection.
    Daniel, Mar 20, 2005
  10. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > David Preece wrote:
    > > Jeff wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    > >> I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player

    it
    > >> does not show on the capture card.
    > >> I know the signal is there as if I replace the lead on the TV I see the
    > >> video playing.

    > > Most TV's sold these days can decode NTSC signals but your capture card
    > > maybe can't, is it an American tape? Commercial tapes also have a
    > > macrovision signal which exists purely for this reason.
    > >

    > Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I mean, we know it's tuned to the
    > video because he can watch TV through it.
    >
    > Yes, try another video - ideally one that is both PAL and has no
    > macrovision protection.

    The tape in question is a blank onto which my grandfather has put a series
    of clips of his old stamping grounds in Wellington, from his old analogue
    video camera. No protection of any sort.

    I will be trying to borrow a newish video player next week to see if that
    makes a difference.

    Thanks Guys
    Jeff
    Jeff, Mar 20, 2005
  11. In article <Jr5%d.11112$>,
    "Jeff" <> wrote:

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In article <zI2%d.11083$>,
    >> "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have moved the input cable from the TV and put it on the card.
    >> >I can see several channels of TV but when I play a video on the player it
    >> >does not show on the capture card.

    >> Which cable did you connect? Sounds like you're using an RF connection.
    >> You'll get better quality with an AV connection.

    >The video output is RF. The card input I am using is RF. The card has other
    >inputs but as I understand it, only the RF input includes both audio and
    >video signal. My knowledge of this sort of thing is minimal.

    I would recommend you use an AV connection for better quality.

    I'm moving this to nz.tech, which is full of folks who can tell you what
    an AV connection is.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 20, 2005
  12. Jeff

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <Jr5%d.11112$>,
    > "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Which cable did you connect? Sounds like you're using an RF connection.
    >>> You'll get better quality with an AV connection.

    >>The video output is RF. The card input I am using is RF. The card has
    >>other
    >>inputs but as I understand it, only the RF input includes both audio and
    >>video signal. My knowledge of this sort of thing is minimal.

    > I would recommend you use an AV connection for better quality.
    >
    > I'm moving this to nz.tech, which is full of folks who can tell you what
    > an AV connection is.

    Are you trying to suggest that no one in nz.comp knows what an Audio Video
    connection is?

    LMAO
    Even Roger knows about the connections just as well as anyone else does.
    It's hardly Rocket Science.

    Jef is stuck on a basic setup. What he needs more than anything else is for
    someone in his area to go round and put him on the right track. And knowing
    the specs of his PC would help to see if it can really handle damn good
    video work.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 21, 2005