    "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    everything goes dead wrong.".
    Bootstrap Bill, May 8, 2004

  2. Bootstrap Bill

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Bootstrap Bill wrote:

    > I have an ATI "TV Wonder" card. It does "wonders" for NTSC. Is there
    > anything like it for HDTV as well?

    Yes. Hauppauge has a couple of different HDTV models with the WinTV-D
    and the WinTV-HD, Dvico has two or three models, and there is the Vision
    Plus VP-DTV-T. You can search www.videohelp.com for more info.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 9, 2004

  3. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    > Yes. Hauppauge has a couple of different HDTV models with the
    > WinTV-D
    > and the WinTV-HD, Dvico has two or three models, and there is the
    > Vision Plus VP-DTV-T. You can search www.videohelp.com for more info.

    Do you know anything about the 8-bit, 9-bit, and 10-bit capture cards?
    I assume that the ATI is an 8-bit capture card. But I've been looking
    for something a little better but having no luck getting good
    information. What do you know about 9- and 10-bit capture cards?

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    Ronald Cole, May 11, 2004
  4. Bootstrap Bill

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Ronald Cole wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    >
    >>Yes. Hauppauge has a couple of different HDTV models with the
    >>WinTV-D
    >>and the WinTV-HD, Dvico has two or three models, and there is the
    >>Vision Plus VP-DTV-T. You can search www.videohelp.com for more info.

    > Do you know anything about the 8-bit, 9-bit, and 10-bit capture cards?
    > I assume that the ATI is an 8-bit capture card. But I've been looking
    > for something a little better but having no luck getting good
    > information. What do you know about 9- and 10-bit capture cards?

    I am sorry, I don't. Digital TV is in it's infacy in my area and I
    haven't yet looked fully into them.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2004
  5. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    > Ronald Cole wrote:
    >> Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    >>>Yes. Hauppauge has a couple of different HDTV models with the
    >>>WinTV-D
    >>>and the WinTV-HD, Dvico has two or three models, and there is the
    >>>Vision Plus VP-DTV-T. You can search www.videohelp.com for more info.

    >> Do you know anything about the 8-bit, 9-bit, and 10-bit capture
    >> cards?
    >> I assume that the ATI is an 8-bit capture card. But I've been looking
    >> for something a little better but having no luck getting good
    >> information. What do you know about 9- and 10-bit capture cards?
    >>

    > I am sorry, I don't. Digital TV is in it's infacy in my area and I
    > haven't yet looked fully into them.

    I wasn't asking about DTV capture cards. My understanding is that
    8-bit cards can only capture 256 colors. 9-bits can render 512 colors
    and 10-bits can render 1024 colors. I would think that if one was
    going to transfer from an inherently analog medium (LD) to a digital
    one, that one would want the better color accuracy afforded by a
    capture card with more than 8-bits.

    Ronald Cole, May 11, 2004
  6. On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:01:44 -0700, Ronald Cole
    <> wrote:

    >Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    >> Ronald Cole wrote:
    >>> Do you know anything about the 8-bit, 9-bit, and 10-bit capture
    >>> cards?
    >>> I assume that the ATI is an 8-bit capture card. But I've been looking
    >>> for something a little better but having no luck getting good
    >>> information. What do you know about 9- and 10-bit capture cards?
    >>>

    >> I am sorry, I don't. Digital TV is in it's infacy in my area and I
    >> haven't yet looked fully into them.

    >I wasn't asking about DTV capture cards. My understanding is that
    >8-bit cards can only capture 256 colors. 9-bits can render 512 colors
    >and 10-bits can render 1024 colors. I would think that if one was
    >going to transfer from an inherently analog medium (LD) to a digital
    >one, that one would want the better color accuracy afforded by a
    >capture card with more than 8-bits.

    8 bits represent 256 shades of GREY. Even broadcast equipment only
    generally uses 8-bit DACs. That's 256 shades per colour, which equals
    many millions of colours. Scanners need 24 bits for millions of
    colours,, with 32-bit etc representing Alpha channel information.
    It's just a different terminology between scanners and video systems.

    . Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 12, 2004
  7. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> writes:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:01:44 -0700, Ronald Cole
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Oldus Fartus <> writes:
    >>>>

    >>> I am sorry, I don't. Digital TV is in it's infacy in my area and I
    >>> haven't yet looked fully into them.

    >>I wasn't asking about DTV capture cards. My understanding is that
    >>8-bit cards can only capture 256 colors. 9-bits can render 512 colors
    >>and 10-bits can render 1024 colors. I would think that if one was
    >>going to transfer from an inherently analog medium (LD) to a digital
    >>one, that one would want the better color accuracy afforded by a
    >>capture card with more than 8-bits.

    > 8 bits represent 256 shades of GREY. Even broadcast equipment only
    > generally uses 8-bit DACs. That's 256 shades per colour, which equals
    > many millions of colours. Scanners need 24 bits for millions of
    > colours,, with 32-bit etc representing Alpha channel information.
    > It's just a different terminology between scanners and video systems.

    Ok, then, what's the benefit of capture cards with more than 8-bits?

    Ronald Cole, May 16, 2004