    best I do to explain.

    Anyway people I hope you get the idea and any help would be great.

    Gordon

    SoundBytes, Apr 13, 2006

  2. SoundBytes

    redefined Guest

    SoundBytes wrote:
    > Hi People
    > My brothers wife is ill in hospital, while she's there he wants to
    > take all their old VHS home videos and put them onto DVD for her to watch,
    > now I built their PC recently and it's a pretty good spec (3700+ AMD chip
    > and 2 gig mem etc), the help I want is some advice on a video capture card
    > so he can plug his old VHS camcorder in and/or his video recorder and
    > capture the film to put it onto DVD, the software isn't a problem, but the
    > card is, I am not to sure of what he needs to do this, most cards these
    > day's tend to be for DV camcorders. I was thinking a TV card, but still
    > wondering if this will allow him to record from his old camcorder as they
    > don't have the sockets (yellow, red and white plugs) ok a little vague but
    > best I do to explain.
    >
    > Anyway people I hope you get the idea and any help would be great.
    >
    > Gordon

    Pinnacle makes just the hardware and software you need to accomplish
    these tasks. Check out their products at
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/Products List.htm

    I think the Pinnacle Studio 500 PCI will do everything you asked for.

    Hope this helps,
    Roman

    redefined, Apr 13, 2006

  3. SoundBytes

    FML Guest

    SoundBytes wrote:
    > Hi People
    > My brothers wife is ill in hospital, while she's there he wants to
    > take all their old VHS home videos and put them onto DVD for her to watch,
    > now I built their PC recently and it's a pretty good spec (3700+ AMD chip
    > and 2 gig mem etc), the help I want is some advice on a video capture card
    > so he can plug his old VHS camcorder in and/or his video recorder and
    > capture the film to put it onto DVD, the software isn't a problem, but the
    > card is, I am not to sure of what he needs to do this, most cards these
    > day's tend to be for DV camcorders. I was thinking a TV card, but still
    > wondering if this will allow him to record from his old camcorder as they
    > don't have the sockets (yellow, red and white plugs) ok a little vague but
    > best I do to explain.
    >
    > Anyway people I hope you get the idea and any help would be great.
    >
    > Gordon

    My retired next door neighbor is in the process of copying his entire
    home movie collection from analog sources (tape, camcorder) to DVD using
    one of these:

    http://turtlebeach.com/site/products/videocapture/vidusb/producthome.asp

    He says it is easy to use and I have seen some of the results and the
    quality is very good.

    FML, Apr 13, 2006
  4. SoundBytes

    Peaches Guest

    "SoundBytes" <> wrote in message
    > Hi People
    > My brothers wife is ill in hospital, while she's there he wants to
    > take all their old VHS home videos and put them onto DVD for her to watch,
    > now I built their PC recently and it's a pretty good spec (3700+ AMD chip
    > and 2 gig mem etc), the help I want is some advice on a video capture card
    > so he can plug his old VHS camcorder in and/or his video recorder and
    > capture the film to put it onto DVD, the software isn't a problem, but the
    > card is, I am not to sure of what he needs to do this, most cards these
    > day's tend to be for DV camcorders. I was thinking a TV card, but still
    > wondering if this will allow him to record from his old camcorder as they
    > don't have the sockets (yellow, red and white plugs) ok a little vague but
    > best I do to explain.
    >
    > Anyway people I hope you get the idea and any help would be great.
    >
    > Gordon

    Capturing an analog video signal - such as from VCR/VHS, is a demanding
    and intensive CPU/RAM/FSB (front side bus - which really comes into it's
    own with this type of chore). But....
    If you have a Firewire card installed, and use of a DV camcorder, you
    could use "digital pass through". This is where you connect the analog
    feed from the VCR to the DV cam, it performs the task of converting
    to digital and passes the signal in digital form to PC where it is captured
    by Windows movie maker, or capture software of your choice. You could
    also opt for a standalone unit. "redefined" posted of the excellent Pinnacle
    systems solutions. I personally use Miglias directors cut scart:
    http://www.miglia.com/products/video/dcscart/index.html
    Not only was this excellent in transferring our S-VHS archive of Room101
    and Have I got News For you, to HD/DVD (I'm UK) But we use it to capture
    from our set top digital receiver to HD.
    You maybe best posting your requirements to MS news forums where
    MSVP's will give you the best advice on these issues.
    In your news client, click to add news servers, then add these details:
    "msnews.microsoft.com"
    Once you have a list of groups on the MS server, head for following
    groups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.video
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

    You will find some truly brilliant MS approved tech experts to advise
    you on your quest.

    Peaches, Apr 14, 2006
  5. SoundBytes

    SoundBytes Guest

    > Hi People
    > My brothers wife is ill in hospital, while she's there he wants to
    > take all their old VHS home videos and put them onto DVD for her to watch,
    > now I built their PC recently and it's a pretty good spec (3700+ AMD chip
    > and 2 gig mem etc), the help I want is some advice on a video capture card
    > so he can plug his old VHS camcorder in and/or his video recorder and
    > capture the film to put it onto DVD, the software isn't a problem, but the
    > card is, I am not to sure of what he needs to do this, most cards these
    > day's tend to be for DV camcorders. I was thinking a TV card, but still
    > wondering if this will allow him to record from his old camcorder as they
    > don't have the sockets (yellow, red and white plugs) ok a little vague but
    > best I do to explain.
    >
    > Anyway people I hope you get the idea and any help would be great.
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks for all your help..have a nice Easter break :)

    SoundBytes, Apr 14, 2006