    I'm looking to buy some kind of camera with which to videotape myself
    talking, in order to assess my body language and so on. I'm not sure which
    kind of camera to go for.
    mike bishop, Jun 14, 2007

  2. mike bishop

    Bates Guest

    On Jun 14, 8:45 am, mike bishop <> wrote:
    > Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the main difference between these a
    > video camera and a digital camera that has a video function?
    >
    > I'm looking to buy some kind of camera with which to videotape myself
    > talking, in order to assess my body language and so on. I'm not sure which
    > kind of camera to go for.

    Hi Mike,

    Well there are several things but I'll give you a couple that might
    matter to you:

    1. still cameras tend to have limited capacity - say 4GB and in many
    cases cannot fill all of that up with a continuous movie. Dedicated
    video cameras however use tapes, DVDs or hard drives give you anywhere
    from 4 to 40GB of storage space which can be used for continuous movie
    shooting.

    2. Dedicated video cameras often have remote controls that allow you
    to control the camera while you are taping. If you are trying to
    videotape yourself, you can turn the LCD screen toward you and use the
    remote to compose the picture etc...

    Bates....
    Bates, Jun 14, 2007

  3. mike bishop

    Allen Guest

    Bates wrote:
    > On Jun 14, 8:45 am, mike bishop <> wrote:
    >> Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the main difference between these a
    >> video camera and a digital camera that has a video function?
    >>
    >> I'm looking to buy some kind of camera with which to videotape myself
    >> talking, in order to assess my body language and so on. I'm not sure which
    >> kind of camera to go for.

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Well there are several things but I'll give you a couple that might
    > matter to you:
    >
    > 1. still cameras tend to have limited capacity - say 4GB and in many
    > cases cannot fill all of that up with a continuous movie. Dedicated
    > video cameras however use tapes, DVDs or hard drives give you anywhere
    > from 4 to 40GB of storage space which can be used for continuous movie
    > shooting.
    >
    > 2. Dedicated video cameras often have remote controls that allow you
    > to control the camera while you are taping. If you are trying to
    > videotape yourself, you can turn the LCD screen toward you and use the
    > remote to compose the picture etc...
    >
    > Bates....

    In short, has anyone ever built a house using a Swiss army knife? Issues
    like this one always remind me of a column in now-defunct U. S. Camera
    around 50 years ago. A columnist devoted an entire column to the subject
    of multi-purpose devices, His conclusion: the only one he had ever used
    that served all functions well was the Church key. (For relative
    newborns: that was a device that had a bottle opener on one end and a
    puncture-type can opener on the other.)
    Allen
    Allen, Jun 14, 2007
  4. mike bishop

    Tony Hwang Guest

    mike bishop wrote:
    > Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the main difference between these a
    > video camera and a digital camera that has a video function?
    >
    > I'm looking to buy some kind of camera with which to videotape myself
    > talking, in order to assess my body language and so on. I'm not sure which
    > kind of camera to go for.

    Hmmm,
    I have several Canon, Nikon dSLR and Powershot P&S cameras.
    Video work, still using work horse Sony TRV900.
    Tony Hwang, Jun 14, 2007
  5. ? "mike bishop" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the main difference between these

    > video camera and a digital camera that has a video function?
    >
    > I'm looking to buy some kind of camera with which to videotape myself
    > talking, in order to assess my body language and so on. I'm not sure

    which
    > kind of camera to go for.

    Well, first of all, each one is tailored to a different purpose.Still
    cameras have high megapixel resolution, and video cameras have low megapixel
    but shoot on the DV-25 codec thus shooting up to 80 mins of excellent
    quality digital video on a 3 euros mini dv tape.(The sound is also very
    good, stereo 16 bit CD quality)This video can be easily edited and
    manipulated on your computer, and burnt on a dvd.To reverse your question,
    video cameras can theoretically take still pictures, but usually at a crappy
    resolution of 640X480 or at best a couple of megapixel (megapixel sensors
    for video cameras sacrifice low light ability for sake of still picture
    capability).Good video cameras may have a solid state mode, where you can
    shoot on a memory card, like the ones that still cameras have, up to many
    hours, but in the MPEG-4 codec, which can be hardly edited.This codec also
    use still cameras with a video capability.This codec uses a lossy
    compression algorithm, which is done with real video cameras on your
    computer and takes hours, but is done on the fly on still cameras with
    video, hard disk and DVD cameras.The best quality is achieved with a mini dv
    camcorder, theoretically and in reality.However, people don't strive always
    for the best quality, and is better to have a crappy movie of a sweet memory
    of a date or something, than nothing.Why, people take photos with camera
    phones....(That will make Bret's hair stand on end).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 14, 2007