    stuff but the occassional 3d game gets played too.

    cheers

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 4, 2007

  2. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:04:32 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Hey all, just wondering if someone can recommend a good AGP card for
    ><$200 as mine is dying and the banl balance is currently a bit depleted
    >after replacing the monitor earlier this month.
    >

    >from pricespy it looks like the Nvidia 7600GS or the ati x1650 pro are
    >the best that are available in AGP in this range. Mostly used for 2d
    >stuff but the occassional 3d game gets played too.
    >
    >cheers
    >
    >El Chippy

    Go for the Nvidia there drivers are far better..
    Greg House, Aug 4, 2007

  3. In article <46b408e7$>, says...

    > from pricespy it looks like the Nvidia 7600GS or the ati x1650 pro are
    > the best that are available in AGP in this range. Mostly used for 2d
    > stuff but the occassional 3d game gets played too.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > El Chippy

    Radeon 9600xt is a very nice card, and still available.
    <http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353079>
    I've also heard moderately good things about the x800 but there is a big
    difference in price.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 4, 2007
  4. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <46b408e7$>, says...
    >> from pricespy it looks like the Nvidia 7600GS or the ati x1650 pro are
    >> the best that are available in AGP in this range. Mostly used for 2d
    >> stuff but the occassional 3d game gets played too.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>
    >> El Chippy

    > Radeon 9600xt is a very nice card, and still available.
    > <http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353079>
    > I've also heard moderately good things about the x800 but there is a big
    > difference in price.
    >
    > -P.

    A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    Thanks for the reply tho :)

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 4, 2007
  5. Squiggle

    XPD Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    > Thanks for the reply tho :)
    >
    > El Chippy

    Go backwards then - Im on an old 9600 Pro which still does a nice job :)
    Best $40 I ever spent in the past 2 years :)
    XPD, Aug 5, 2007
  6. Squiggle

    Rob S Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >> A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    >> Thanks for the reply tho :)
    >>
    >> El Chippy

    > Go backwards then - Im on an old 9600 Pro which still does a nice job :)
    > Best $40 I ever spent in the past 2 years :)

    Ditto. I've been running a 9600 Pro for about 18 months now with a
    fanless heatsink/heatpipe arrangement. Cost a bit more than $40 though :)

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Fine, fine, everything is fine. But using your GUI's breaking my mind!
    Change this, don't change that, can't you redesign!!! (to the tune of
    'read the signs')
    Rob S, Aug 5, 2007
  7. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:52:49 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >> "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >>> A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    >>> Thanks for the reply tho :)
    >>>
    >>> El Chippy

    >> Go backwards then - Im on an old 9600 Pro which still does a nice job :)
    >> Best $40 I ever spent in the past 2 years :)
    >>

    >Ditto. I've been running a 9600 Pro for about 18 months now with a
    >fanless heatsink/heatpipe arrangement. Cost a bit more than $40 though :)

    Go for a decent card and that Has to be Nvidia GPU..

    They have the best drivers..
    Greg House, Aug 5, 2007
  8. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 03:00:59 +1200, Squiggle wrote:

    > A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    > Thanks for the reply tho

    Anything mass produced will have a few duds in it. Your video card looks
    like one of them. Do not throw out the brand with the card.
    Gordon, Aug 5, 2007
  9. In message <>, Greg House

    .... unless you're trying to run Vista <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=276>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2007
  10. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 03:00:59 +1200, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> A radeon 9600xt is what is dying, so not exactly keen on another one.
    >> Thanks for the reply tho

    > Anything mass produced will have a few duds in it. Your video card looks
    > like one of them. Do not throw out the brand with the card.

    Wasn't so much from the point of them being unreliable, more that i'd
    rather step up than stand still.

    Strangely enough the card seems to be working okay today.

    will probably grab a Palid 7300GT if/when it does die, anything faster
    will be help back by the CPU and require a bigger PSU, which isn't worth
    the bother.

    Thanks to all who weighed in with constructive comments.

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 5, 2007
  11. Squiggle

    XPD Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > Go for a decent card and that Has to be Nvidia GPU..
    >
    > They have the best drivers..

    So youve already said, now move on. You dont need to repeat yourself.
    XPD, Aug 5, 2007
  12. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 22:37:18 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Go for a decent card and that Has to be Nvidia GPU..
    >>
    >> They have the best drivers..
    >>

    >So youve already said, now move on. You dont need to repeat yourself.

    Yes to many deaf people here...
    Greg House, Aug 5, 2007
  13. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Vid Card wanted please - PCI

    Squiggle wrote:

    > Thanks to all who weighed in with constructive comments.
    >
    > El Chippy

    If I may hi-jack your thread now El Chippy:

    Does anyone have an old GF2 (or similar) PCI graphics card or two sitting
    around that they're no longer using that they don't want an arm and a leg
    for?

    I have a couple a mATX mobos with Tualatin Celerons (1.2 and 1.4GHz) that
    have on-board graphics and no AGP slots. The graphics are really letting
    down what are actually quite capable machines (512MB SD RAM each running
    asynchronously at 133MHz). I'd love to get my hands on one, or preferably
    two PCI cards for these machines. I'd rather not spend too much as I just
    put them into new cases and am wondering if maybe the money would've been
    better saved towards a new machine. However, I'd rather not consign these
    machines to the back room just yet as it's only the graphics letting them
    down.

    If you can help please, either reply here or email me at misfitnz at gmail
    dot com.

    Thanks muchly,
    --
    TTFN.