    comfortable ride for said camera and lenses.

    Thank you for your time with what may seem like an obscure question.

    - John
    John Wilson, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Just this past Wednesday I had my 10D on my tripod climbing up a hill
    and used the tripod as a bit of a walking stick. It didn't get tossed
    around but there was some vibration there...still seems to work OK.
    But I haven't subjected it to anything radical.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 20, 2003

  3. John Wilson

    Cy8212 Guest

    I carry my G3, in its bag, wrapped in foam, in my BMW K bike saddlebags....no
    ill effects to report.
    Bob in Vt
    Cy8212, Jul 20, 2003
  4. John Wilson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    John Wilson wrote:

    > Good Day,
    >
    > I am considering moving up to a Canon EOS-10D camera and have a slight
    > concern. As this is one expensive piece of equipment, and my primary
    > means of transportation is by motorcycle, I was wondering if there are
    > any "dangers" of vibration. I realize that most of the internals of
    > the camera are solid-state, so there is a little less to worry about in
    > comparison to film cameras, and perhaps I'm just being a little
    > over-concerned here, but I was just wanting to pose this question.
    >
    > So, basically, should I be concerned about this at all? :)
    >
    > And yes, I've budgeted for a good camera bag as well, enough for the
    > camera and two lenses. Hopefully, the padding will ensure a safe and
    > comfortable ride for said camera and lenses.

    It all depends what kind of riding you're doing.. Are you off-roading on a
    dirt bike, or riding mostly on paved roads ?

    I own a 10D and used to do a fair bit of riding on street bikes.. I've owned
    an old BSA 650, a Kawasaki 650 and a Harley Davidson 1200. If I had my 10D
    back then, I probably would have taken it along.. In a padded case in a
    padded carrier or saddlebag of course :)

    Despite that, be aware camera does have some sensitive moving parts:

    The most critical part would be the focal plane shutter. SLR shutters are
    quite a bit more complicated than regular point and shoot digicams. It's a
    real piece of precison gear. It can expose down to 1/4000 second.

    There's also a moving mirror that reflects the light from the lens through the
    viewfinder then flips out of the way when you shoot. This is a precision
    piece as well. It even has the focusing points on it and any misalignment
    could prove serious.
    Jim Townsend, Jul 20, 2003
  5. John Wilson

    Luke Guest

    Yeah, I agree with Jim, the main thing to worry about is the alignment of
    optical components not the electronic components.

    Expensive cameras are probably built with much more durable mountings than
    cheaper ones but because of the finer resolution smaller misalignments would
    cause noticable degradation in the image.

    I don't have much experience of motorcycles but I would say this, if you
    don't have your camera with you aren't going to be taking any good photos.
    ;)

    Luke

    Luke, Jul 20, 2003
  6. John Wilson

    Al Treacher Guest

    Likewise, I travel by bike often, and my 10D has shown no signs of ill
    effects from the journeys, nor my previous digital camera (a Fuji 6900
    rather than a DSLR). Usually I carry my kit in a Lowepro backpack,
    but occasionally I will use a tatty old canvas satchel or a normal
    camping/hiking backpack.

    Just make sure you have some plastic bags packed too, in case of
    rain...

    Al

    Al Treacher, Jul 21, 2003
  7. "Al Treacher" <> wrote in message
    > Likewise, I travel by bike often, and my 10D has shown no signs of ill
    > effects from the journeys, nor my previous digital camera (a Fuji 6900
    > rather than a DSLR). Usually I carry my kit in a Lowepro backpack,
    > but occasionally I will use a tatty old canvas satchel or a normal
    > camping/hiking backpack.
    >
    > Just make sure you have some plastic bags packed too, in case of
    > rain...

    I am a bike pillion regularly, and none of my cameras have had any problems.
    I have an Oxford bum-bag which camera and also pda and mobile phone travel
    in and have had no problems (current cam CP 5700 and past cams are Fuji
    2600z and Kodak DC210, both still in fine fettle). In my experience, the
    firmer the fit of whatever you carry the camera in when inside your bag (I
    have my cameras in pods of varying description and then put those in the
    luggage) the better, as this stops the possibilty of buttons or dials being
    depressed or turned and undesirable things happening like the lens being
    extended or the battery being run down or what have you.

    Plastic bags are a grand idea for sure (plastic shower caps or zip lock bags
    work well too) - anyone who is a regular biker will be able to tell you that
    nearly all luggage / bike kit that says it is waterproof usually isn't -
    moisture will find its way in somehow when you're speeding along in the rain
    with water coming down on you and up from the road in all directions.

    Have fun.

    Rachael
    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 21, 2003