    Particularly if the camera has been shaked enough and old that has more
    loose particles.
    Will the shake cause more electric static chages on the surface?

    Einst Stein, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Einst Stein

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Einst Stein wrote:
    >
    > If you have a digital camera with the vibration dust removal, please
    > comment how good it is.

    I just tested the dust removal options for the new Canon Rebel XTi
    (400D). The Auto Sensor Clean using vibration didn't do very well, I'm
    afraid.

    > I'm afraid the vibration can actually cause more dust then it can shake
    > down.
    > Particularly if the camera has been shaked enough and old that has more
    > loose particles.

    I think the chamber in the camera I tested was pretty dirty and I
    didn't see any evidence that new dust specks were caused by running the
    ASC feature ... I mapped the specks and probably ran ASC 50 times total
    and never saw new specks after just running ASC and shooting
    'normally'.

    I also zoomed in and out with a push-pull zoom lens (100-400 mm) to see
    the effects of air rushing into the chamber and that added ten new
    specks. Also tried bursting 27 frames and that also had a small
    effect, but the vibration cleaning cycle alone never added anything new
    that I could see.

    > Will the shake cause more electric static chages on the surface?

    Didn't see evidence of this either ... with the Rebel you can disable
    the ASC feature if you think it's not worthwhile, so you can just run
    your own tests and decide at that point.

    The link to the tests I ran is
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/dust_400d/

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 13, 2006