    is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    for $750.

    Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    cassia, Apr 3, 2007

  2. cassia

    =\(8\) Guest

    "cassia" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    > regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > for $750.
    >
    > Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    Only you can decide that. If you have a problem holding the camera still (I
    have a nerve disorder that makes this impossible) then a stabilized lens
    would help you. If you don't end up with lot of blurry shots then you are
    probably fine without. Outside of this use stabilized lenses can let you
    shoot slower shutter speeds without needing a tripod or monopod. So if you
    shoot like 1/30 of second and wouldn't like to do away with a tripod then a
    stabilized lens will help assuming that you are capable of holding the
    camera very still yourself. It can't compensate for an unsteady photographer
    and a slow shutter speed. It can do one or the other. A stabilized lens will
    do nothing for subject movement like a flower blowing in the wind or a fast
    moving dog or something like that. For that you need a fast shutter speed if
    you want to stop the action and have no subject blur.

    =(8)

    =\(8\), Apr 3, 2007

  3. cassia

    Guest

    On Apr 2, 10:24 pm, "cassia" <> wrote:
    > Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    > regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > for $750.
    >
    > Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    Why not look at the 55-200vr that may be available locally if not
    today sometime very soon for about half of the price? Unless you are
    looking for something paticular I think this would be a good sub for
    the 80-200.

    Doug

    , Apr 3, 2007
  4. cassia

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    cassia <> wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    > regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > for $750.
    >
    > Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    VR or IS (I have Canon, so my lenses say IS, but it's the same basic
    thing), if you can, get the stablilized lens.

    Go down to your local camera store, ask to put one on your camera, turn
    it on, and watch the results through the lens as you activate it/focus
    with the shutter button. You can WATCH the image in the viewfinder
    "lock" into place. It's amazing.

    You'll buy the stabilized one.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Apr 3, 2007
  5. cassia

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "cassia" <> writes:
    > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > for $750.

    If you mean the 70-200/2.8 VR, I don't think Ritz is selling it for
    $750. If you mean something like the 18-200, it's two stops slower
    than the 80-200 and therefore not really comparable.

    I think I'm saving my pennies for the 70-200/2.8 VR.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 3, 2007
  6. cassia

    Marvin Guest

    cassia wrote:
    > Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    > regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > for $750.
    >
    > Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    I bought a camera with image stabilization because I often
    take photos in dim light where I can't use a tripod. Does
    the VR lens meet a need you have?

    Marvin, Apr 3, 2007
  7. cassia

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Marvin
    <> wrote:

    > cassia wrote:
    > > Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    > > regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    > > I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    > > great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    > > is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    > > for $750.
    > >
    > > Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?
    > >

    > I bought a camera with image stabilization because I often
    > take photos in dim light where I can't use a tripod. Does
    > the VR lens meet a need you have?

    More importantly - does it meed a need that you probably *will*
    have?... remember, your needs WILL probably grow, and (IMO) you are
    better off only buying once instead of buying, selling, and re-buying.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Apr 3, 2007
  8. cassia

    Westy Guest

    On 2 Apr 2007 19:24:25 -0700, "cassia" <> wrote:

    >Can someone please tell me your experience using a VR lens, vs a
    >regular lens, and how likely you would be to recommend the upgrade?
    >I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
    >great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
    >is in excellent cond. The other lens has the VR feature, from ritz,
    >for $750.
    >
    >Should I just fork it over, or can I save my pennies?

    Depends what you want it for. It is a decent everyday lens and the VR
    means you can easily use it at the long end handheld with decent
    light.

    If you want to shoot moving subjects e.g. sports you're probably
    better served by a fast standard or telephoto zoom.

    Westy, Apr 3, 2007