Viacom To Acquire YouTube for $10 Billion

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Twasme N'Deed, Mar 31, 2007.

  1. Viacom To Acquire YouTube for $10 Billion

    Combination Will Create New Opportunities for Users and Content Owners
    Everywhere

    HOLLYWOOD, Calif., March 31, 2007 - Viacom (NYSE: VIA) announced today
    that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for
    people to watch and share original videos through a Web experience, for
    $10 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction. Following the
    acquisition, YouTube will operate independently to preserve its
    successful brand and passionate community.

    The acquisition combines one of the largest and fastest growing online
    video entertainment communities with Viacom's expertise in organizing
    information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet. The
    combined companies will focus on providing a better, more comprehensive
    experience for users interested in uploading, watching and sharing
    videos, and will offer new opportunities for professional content owners
    to distribute their work to reach a vast new audience.

    "The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that
    complements Viacom's mission to own the world's information and restrict
    its accessibility," said Sumner Redstone, Chief Executive Officer of
    Viacom. "Our companies share similar values; we both always put money
    first and are committed to innovating to improve ROI. Together, we are
    natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to
    content owners and advertisers."

    "Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people
    consume media, creating a new clip culture. By joining forces with
    Viacom, we can benefit from its global reach to deliver a more
    comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new
    opportunities for our partners," said Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of
    YouTube. "I'm confident that with this partnership we'll have the
    flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of controlling the
    next-generation platform for serving media worldwide."

    When the acquisition is complete, YouTube will retain its distinct brand
    identity, strengthening and complementing Viacom's own video business.
    YouTube will continue to be based in San Bruno, CA, and all YouTube
    employees will remain with the company. With Viacom's global reach,
    YouTube will continue to build on its success as one of the world's most
    popular services for video entertainment.

    The number of Viacom shares to be issued in the transaction will be
    determined based on the 30-day average closing price two trading days
    prior to the completion of the acquisition. Both companies have approved
    the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and is
    expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2007.

    Twasme N'Deed, Mar 31, 2007

  2. On 1 Apr 2007 00:14:33 +0200, "Twasme N'Deed" <> wrote:

    >Viacom To Acquire YouTube for $10 Billion
    >
    >Combination Will Create New Opportunities for Users and Content Owners
    >Everywhere
    >
    >HOLLYWOOD, Calif., March 31, 2007 - Viacom (NYSE: VIA) announced today
    >that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for
    >people to watch and share original videos through a Web experience, for
    >$10 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction. Following the
    >acquisition, YouTube will operate independently to preserve its
    >successful brand and passionate community.
    >
    >The acquisition combines one of the largest and fastest growing online
    >video entertainment communities with Viacom's expertise in organizing
    >information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet. The
    >combined companies will focus on providing a better, more comprehensive
    >experience for users interested in uploading, watching and sharing
    >videos, and will offer new opportunities for professional content owners
    >to distribute their work to reach a vast new audience.
    >
    >"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that
    >complements Viacom's mission to own the world's information and restrict
    >its accessibility," said Sumner Redstone, Chief Executive Officer of
    >Viacom. "Our companies share similar values; we both always put money
    >first and are committed to innovating to improve ROI. Together, we are
    >natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to
    >content owners and advertisers."
    >
    >"Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people
    >consume media, creating a new clip culture. By joining forces with
    >Viacom, we can benefit from its global reach to deliver a more
    >comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new
    >opportunities for our partners," said Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of
    >YouTube. "I'm confident that with this partnership we'll have the
    >flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of controlling the
    >next-generation platform for serving media worldwide."
    >
    >When the acquisition is complete, YouTube will retain its distinct brand
    >identity, strengthening and complementing Viacom's own video business.
    >YouTube will continue to be based in San Bruno, CA, and all YouTube
    >employees will remain with the company. With Viacom's global reach,
    >YouTube will continue to build on its success as one of the world's most
    >popular services for video entertainment.
    >
    >The number of Viacom shares to be issued in the transaction will be
    >determined based on the 30-day average closing price two trading days
    >prior to the completion of the acquisition. Both companies have approved
    >the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and is
    >expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2007.

    A day early for April Fools.

    Fred C. Dobbs, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Twasme N'Deed

    Unruh Guest

    Fred C. Dobbs <> writes:

    >On 1 Apr 2007 00:14:33 +0200, "Twasme N'Deed" <> wrote:

    >>Viacom To Acquire YouTube for $10 Billion
    >>
    >>Combination Will Create New Opportunities for Users and Content Owners
    >>Everywhere
    >>
    >>HOLLYWOOD, Calif., March 31, 2007 - Viacom (NYSE: VIA) announced today
    >>that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for
    >>people to watch and share original videos through a Web experience, for
    >>$10 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction. Following the
    >>acquisition, YouTube will operate independently to preserve its
    >>successful brand and passionate community.
    >>
    >>The acquisition combines one of the largest and fastest growing online
    >>video entertainment communities with Viacom's expertise in organizing
    >>information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet. The
    >>combined companies will focus on providing a better, more comprehensive
    >>experience for users interested in uploading, watching and sharing
    >>videos, and will offer new opportunities for professional content owners
    >>to distribute their work to reach a vast new audience.
    >>
    >>"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that
    >>complements Viacom's mission to own the world's information and restrict
    >>its accessibility," said Sumner Redstone, Chief Executive Officer of
    >>Viacom. "Our companies share similar values; we both always put money
    >>first and are committed to innovating to improve ROI. Together, we are
    >>natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to
    >>content owners and advertisers."
    >>
    >>"Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people
    >>consume media, creating a new clip culture. By joining forces with
    >>Viacom, we can benefit from its global reach to deliver a more
    >>comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new
    >>opportunities for our partners," said Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of
    >>YouTube. "I'm confident that with this partnership we'll have the
    >>flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of controlling the
    >>next-generation platform for serving media worldwide."
    >>
    >>When the acquisition is complete, YouTube will retain its distinct brand
    >>identity, strengthening and complementing Viacom's own video business.
    >>YouTube will continue to be based in San Bruno, CA, and all YouTube
    >>employees will remain with the company. With Viacom's global reach,
    >>YouTube will continue to build on its success as one of the world's most
    >>popular services for video entertainment.
    >>
    >>The number of Viacom shares to be issued in the transaction will be
    >>determined based on the 30-day average closing price two trading days
    >>prior to the completion of the acquisition. Both companies have approved
    >>the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and is
    >>expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2007.

    >A day early for April Fools.

    Depends on where in the world you happen to be located, doesn't it.

    Unruh, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Twasme N'Deed

    WrestHist Guest

    On Mar 31, 6:14 pm, "Twasme N'Deed" <> wrote:
    > Viacom To Acquire YouTube for $10 Billion
    >
    > Combination Will Create New Opportunities for Users and Content Owners
    > Everywhere
    >
    > HOLLYWOOD, Calif., March 31, 2007 - Viacom (NYSE: VIA) announced today
    > that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for
    > people to watch and share original videos through a Web experience, for
    > $10 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction. Following the
    > acquisition, YouTube will operate independently to preserve its
    > successful brand and passionate community.
    >
    > The acquisition combines one of the largest and fastest growing online
    > video entertainment communities with Viacom's expertise in organizing
    > information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet. The
    > combined companies will focus on providing a better, more comprehensive
    > experience for users interested in uploading, watching and sharing
    > videos, and will offer new opportunities for professional content owners
    > to distribute their work to reach a vast new audience.
    >
    > "The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that
    > complements Viacom's mission to own the world's information and restrict
    > its accessibility," said Sumner Redstone, Chief Executive Officer of
    > Viacom. "Our companies share similar values; we both always put money
    > first and are committed to innovating to improve ROI. Together, we are
    > natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to
    > content owners and advertisers."
    >
    > "Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people
    > consume media, creating a new clip culture. By joining forces with
    > Viacom, we can benefit from its global reach to deliver a more
    > comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new
    > opportunities for our partners," said Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of
    > YouTube. "I'm confident that with this partnership we'll have the
    > flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of controlling the
    > next-generation platform for serving media worldwide."
    >
    > When the acquisition is complete, YouTube will retain its distinct brand
    > identity, strengthening and complementing Viacom's own video business.
    > YouTube will continue to be based in San Bruno, CA, and all YouTube
    > employees will remain with the company. With Viacom's global reach,
    > YouTube will continue to build on its success as one of the world's most
    > popular services for video entertainment.
    >
    > The number of Viacom shares to be issued in the transaction will be
    > determined based on the 30-day average closing price two trading days
    > prior to the completion of the acquisition. Both companies have approved
    > the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and is
    > expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2007.

    Kinda hard to acquire it when Google took it over in 2006. ;)

    WrestHist

    WrestHist, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Twasme N'Deed

    Rob Cullen Guest

    But Viacom were about to sue Youtube so maybe this was a canny way of
    getting the price down!

    --
    Protected by www.Spamjab.com {1ClyzYGhYG9yw5arEQ}

    Rob Cullen, Apr 1, 2007