  1. dOTdASH

    dOTdASH Guest

    does such a thing exist ? if so, where do I find it ? TIA
    dOTdASH, Sep 1, 2003

  2. dOTdASH

    The Flash Guest

    No, and you don't really need it - as long as the drive is running in DMA
    mode at its maximum you will see little differance between
    the Intel ATA controller and the newest VIA or SIS controllers, Years ago
    Intel controllers were slightly faster than that of other makers if the non
    intel board had the rigth drive, however with out the right driver old VIA
    and SIS boards were dog slow and always defaulted to PIO transfer, now few
    hardware sites even bother teating the embedded disk controller thruput.

    However if it is an old socket7 board, yes the correct drivers really are
    need.

    I remeber poking arround bench marking IAA vs stand drivers on an Intel 820,
    changing to ATA66 HD and cable etc etc and at the end of the day the IAA
    drivers were _slower_ than the standard driver. However the IAA did -show- a
    higher thrup in disk benchmarking, just the stopwatch didnot agree. I always
    use this good old system to measure the speed, get a nice fat file and copy
    from one disk partition to another using a stopwatch. load the new driver.
    remove copy and test again, compare . My system is using an old 13 gig
    maxtor and it does the following. I also measure bootup time befor and after
    and if you have a horrid program like photoshop, you can see how quick it
    loads before and after.

    The Flash, Sep 1, 2003