    setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >mmmm, via CPU power is good... well, it's ok(533Mhz 512MB ram, wifi),
    >but the silence is great, the only noise I have is the Hdds(2x200GB),
    >and it is looking good in the low profile case ontop of the video... oh
    >yes, I will have a media player shortly, might take a week or so to
    >setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    What OS?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>mmmm, via CPU power is good... well, it's ok(533Mhz 512MB ram, wifi),
    >>but the silence is great, the only noise I have is the Hdds(2x200GB),
    >>and it is looking good in the low profile case ontop of the video... oh
    >>yes, I will have a media player shortly, might take a week or so to
    >>setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    > What OS?

    XP at the moment... want to get it all working like I want, make a ghost
    of it, and then I'll tinker with other Os's

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> mmmm, via CPU power is good... well, it's ok(533Mhz 512MB ram, wifi),
    >>> but the silence is great, the only noise I have is the Hdds(2x200GB),
    >>> and it is looking good in the low profile case ontop of the video...
    >>> oh yes, I will have a media player shortly, might take a week or so
    >>> to setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    >> What OS?

    > XP at the moment... want to get it all working like I want, make a ghost
    > of it, and then I'll tinker with other Os's

    They're a great little board. But useless if you have to do video
    encoding from recording TV. They simply don't have the horsepower.
    I looked at one of these for a MythTV backend box, I'm glad I didn't.
    A Haupage PVR series TV card with mpeg hardware encoding is the only way
    to go with this type of board. Then GBTV(?) would be a good choice
    The Linux drivers for ITV (Haupage) and the VIA Graphics can be tricky
    to get going (so I've read).

    If you're not wanting a PVR maybe an modded Xbox may have been a better
    and cheaper choice?

    Sorry about raining on your paraide Dave...:)
    MaximumDamage, Jul 18, 2005
  5. MaximumDamage wrote:

    >>> What OS?

    >> XP at the moment... want to get it all working like I want, make a
    >> ghost of it, and then I'll tinker with other Os's

    > They're a great little board. But useless if you have to do video
    > encoding from recording TV. They simply don't have the horsepower.
    > I looked at one of these for a MythTV backend box, I'm glad I didn't.
    > A Haupage PVR series TV card with mpeg hardware encoding is the only way
    > to go with this type of board. Then GBTV(?) would be a good choice
    > The Linux drivers for ITV (Haupage) and the VIA Graphics can be tricky
    > to get going (so I've read).

    I'm looking at turning it into a PVR as well as just a media box, but
    for the moment it is nice as it is.

    > If you're not wanting a PVR maybe an modded Xbox may have been a better
    > and cheaper choice?
    > Sorry about raining on your paraide Dave...:)

    no "paraide" rained on, I'm happy as it is going to be doing more than
    just movies... and Xboxes are ugly and loud.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> XP at the moment... want to get it all working like I want, make a
    >>> ghost of it, and then I'll tinker with other Os's

    >> They're a great little board. But useless if you have to do video
    >> encoding from recording TV. They simply don't have the horsepower.
    >> I looked at one of these for a MythTV backend box, I'm glad I didn't.
    >> A Haupage PVR series TV card with mpeg hardware encoding is the only
    >> way to go with this type of board. Then GBTV(?) would be a good choice
    >> The Linux drivers for ITV (Haupage) and the VIA Graphics can be tricky
    >> to get going (so I've read).

    > I'm looking at turning it into a PVR as well as just a media box, but
    > for the moment it is nice as it is.
    >
    >> If you're not wanting a PVR maybe an modded Xbox may have been a
    >> better and cheaper choice?
    >> Sorry about raining on your paraide Dave...:)

    > no "paraide" rained on, I'm happy as it is going to be doing more than
    > just movies... and Xboxes are ugly and loud.

    I'd strongly encourage you to go the whole hog, its well worth it. VCRs
    are horrible things in comparison. PVR150's are reasonably cheap.
    PVR's also have an *excellent* WIFE approval score.
    MaximumDamage, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    The talk on the GBPVR forums seems to be that they are still a little
    underpowered for playback.
    JohnO, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    That is goodbut note that it's an accelerator not a decoder - it helps
    decode but doesn't do it all.

    I believe the other issue is that the GBPVR renders all the GUI into
    MPEG streams as that's what the MediaMVP client and PVR350 tv-out
    needs. Therefore the menu navigation can be a bit slow. However the
    author has now added some config options that have improved this a lot.

    Look forward to hearing how it goes!
    JohnO, Jul 19, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > That is goodbut note that it's an accelerator not a decoder - it helps
    > decode but doesn't do it all.
    >
    > I believe the other issue is that the GBPVR renders all the GUI into
    > MPEG streams as that's what the MediaMVP client and PVR350 tv-out
    > needs. Therefore the menu navigation can be a bit slow. However the
    > author has now added some config options that have improved this a lot.
    >
    > Look forward to hearing how it goes!

    Eww, that would be really slow.

    Is it as bad as a skybox however?
    Richard, Jul 19, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    All I can say is that with an old Athlon XP it runs fine. I had heard
    that anything less than a 1GHz CPU was getting too slow.
    JohnO, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Nathan L, Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > mmmm, via CPU power is good... well, it's ok(533Mhz 512MB ram, wifi),
    > but the silence is great, the only noise I have is the Hdds(2x200GB),
    > and it is looking good in the low profile case ontop of the video... oh
    > yes, I will have a media player shortly, might take a week or so to
    > setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    the 1ghz epia cant play dvds with high bit rates (such as the superbit
    dvds) smoothly.
    Nathan L,, Jul 20, 2005
  13. Nathan L, wrote:
    >> mmmm, via CPU power is good... well, it's ok(533Mhz 512MB ram, wifi),
    >> but the silence is great, the only noise I have is the Hdds(2x200GB),
    >> and it is looking good in the low profile case ontop of the video...
    >> oh yes, I will have a media player shortly, might take a week or so to
    >> setup, but it is looking good sofar.

    > the 1ghz epia cant play dvds with high bit rates (such as the superbit
    > dvds) smoothly.

    It seems ok for everything I'm using it for sofar... it is only a trial
    for the moment anyway.

    For those interested, I switched to win2k as the memory usage was lower,
    and the mobo I'm using uses laptop ram, and the budget hasn't quite
    stretched far enough for a 512MB stick.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mercury Guest

    Next time you want to do a minimal install of XP, try nLite.
    nLite takes the thinking out of stripping out services you *know* you will
    never use.
    I have only used some of the lighter aspects of nLite including
    slipstreaming service packs, pre-loading device drivers and creating
    auto-installs..
    XP will run in comparable amounts of RAM to W2K if you disable services you
    do not want.

    A handy way to get nLite "Right" is to get a trial copy of Virtual PC,
    create ISO images for the cut down XP you want to try using nLite and
    install these into VPC to test - you won't have to reboot once. To kick off
    an install, drag and drop the iso file name onto the CD icon on the status
    bar of VPC (once you have a VM created) and it will boot.

    Mercury, Jul 20, 2005