    win98se and my version of 4-in-1 driver's is 4.3, would it be worthwile to
    download 4.5? Does it even sound like I'm on the right track here?
    Sorry for the multiple questions and thanks for any advice.
    joaquin, Nov 17, 2003

  2. joaquin

    Thor Guest

    This issue doesn't concern the dirvers you installed, since it is a problem
    only at initial power up. This means that the problem occurs long before the
    drivers even get loaded by the OS (which itself hasn't even begun to load
    yet). I would suggest removing and reinstalling the card, being careful to
    make sure it is fully seated in the AGP slot, and that the retainer screw
    isn't causing the opposite end of the card to tip up out one end of the
    socket. AGP cards are very sensitive to seating issues because they have a
    particularly densly-packed double row of contacts that can easily lose
    connection with the slot if it is slightly raised. If reseating the card
    doesn't help, either the card or the slot may be faulty, or there may be
    some other hardware issue with the motherboard itself that is preventing
    proper video initialization. While you are in there, make sure all the other
    cards, memory modules, etc. are all seated well in their respective
    sockets/slots.

    "joaquin" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problems with my vid card on a new system. Intermittently

    does
    > not recognize video card on startup and I get 1 long 2 short beeps. I can
    > hit the restart button and it starts normally w/ video.
    > I installed the vid card driver before the 4-in-1's. Does it really

    matter

    Thor, Nov 17, 2003

  3. joaquin

    MrToad Guest

    "joaquin" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:C9Ztb.1183$:

    > I'm having a problems with my vid card on a new system.
    > Intermittently does not recognize video card on startup and I get 1
    > long 2 short beeps. I can hit the restart button and it starts
    > normally w/ video. I installed the vid card driver before the
    > 4-in-1's. Does it really matter what order you install the drivers?
    > How do you uninstall 4-in-1's? I run win98se and my version of 4-in-1
    > driver's is 4.3, would it be worthwile to download 4.5? Does it even
    > sound like I'm on the right track here? Sorry for the multiple
    > questions and thanks for any advice.

    Did you set your BIOS to intialize the AGP first?
    It doesn't matter which order you install the 4n1's, it sounds like a
    loose card like Thor suggested or the above BIOS setting.
    Another BIOS setting that *may* cause this, is enabling the AGP fast
    writes, try disabling it to see if it makes a difference, [your BIOS may
    or maynot have this setting, depends on the manufacturer].
    Upgrading to the 4.5's won't help, [unless your current driver set is
    corrupted], but it won't hurt either.

    --
    MrToad
    MrToad, Nov 17, 2003
  4. joaquin

    joaquin Guest

    I loosened the screw and did my best to make sure it was seated properly,
    but still got beeps. I thought the card must be ok if it seemed alright
    after a reset. I borrowed a similar card and have not had any problems with
    it. guess I need an rma... dang.
    thanks for the tips thor and mr.toad

    joaquin, Nov 19, 2003