VHS to PC Problems

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by fatboybrando, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. fatboybrando

    fatboybrando Guest

    Hi Folks

    I'm currently trying to record from my VCR to PC then to DVD although all I
    am able to get is the audio.

    My current set up is:

    Line out jacks (audio) to line in on pc. Scart plug in video with jack
    adapters on back, this has the cable for video to svideo on pc. I have
    tried the audio cables going from the back of the scart plug to the pc but
    no sound comes through.

    Instead of using the scart adapter I have used the RF out straight to SVideo
    without success.

    The software I'm using is Medion Power Director, settings for video capture
    are: Capture Device - Medion 7134 WDM Video Capture & Capture Source - Video
    SVideo.

    Any ideas what I've done wrong if anything or can someone suggest some other
    free software to try?

    Thanks

    fatboybrando, Apr 14, 2004

  2. fatboybrando

    Gardner Guest

    It is hard to know without seeing your setup, but basically the problem must
    either lie with your line out from the video recorder, the line in to the
    pc, or your capture settings.

    Make sure that your Scart line-out from the video recorder is a true
    line-out socket, and that your Scart lead provides full in-out. Some Scart
    adaptors that permit rca lacks and s-video are line-in to video recorder
    only - some have an in-out slider switch. If you are properly connected, a
    picture should show in your capture monitor window.

    Also, check your capture device menu for a box that shows either composite
    or s-video to be ticked.

    Gardner, Apr 14, 2004

  3. fatboybrando

    Uddo Graaf Guest

    "fatboybrando" <> wrote in
    message news:Izafc.1$S%...
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > I'm currently trying to record from my VCR to PC then to DVD although all

    > am able to get is the audio.
    >
    > My current set up is:
    >
    > Line out jacks (audio) to line in on pc. Scart plug in video with jack
    > adapters on back, this has the cable for video to svideo on pc. I have
    > tried the audio cables going from the back of the scart plug to the pc but
    > no sound comes through.

    Some Scart-to-jack plugs are intented for video INPUT. Some of them have a
    switch to switch between input and output mode. Seems to me you're using an
    input Scart-to-jack. If you have the right one, you should be able to get
    the sound as well from the scart.

    > Instead of using the scart adapter I have used the RF out straight to

    SVideo
    > without success.

    RF out from what? The antenna? That'll never work. The antenna RF output is
    modulated so that will never work.

    > The software I'm using is Medion Power Director, settings for video

    capture
    > are: Capture Device - Medion 7134 WDM Video Capture & Capture Source -

    Video
    > SVideo.
    >
    > Any ideas what I've done wrong if anything or can someone suggest some

    other
    > free software to try?

    Solution: get a new Scart-to-jack adapter which is configured for output (or
    buy one with a in-out switch). Don't use the S-Video mode setting but use
    'composite' or 'CVBS' input in the software.

    Uddo Graaf, Apr 16, 2004